Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/10/18 OUFC v Plymouth Argyle +++

There was one moment around 65 minutes when Robinson shouted something at Mackie who in turn went berserk back at him. He really gave him a barrelling in return. That was interesting to observe.
I sit just by the tunnel (behind away dug out) and this was actually KR appealing for a foul on Mackie and Mackie himself screaming at the fourth official for not getting the free kick. 100% this was not KR and Mackie shouting at each other. :)

Another Argyle fan and his view on Holmes with Smith-Brown

Holmes was flopping around like a fish every time ASB went near him. It was a sub to avoid him getting a red

Plymouth were always going to be poor. Some thought we still had little chance!
We still had to beat them.
One thing however is that Southend were absolutely no mugs at their place.
So 2 good results in a row. Totally agree with you that we need to build on this.

Really good point, some Southend fans after the game suggested we dragged them down to our level? more like we controlled that game and in context was probably a better team performance than today. If we play the gas next week in a similar vein we might get something out of it.

Plus points:

It was a win (yahoo!)
A much better performance all over the pitch by every player
A clean sheet at home
Two league games unbeaten, 4 points out of 6
Off the bottom of the table
Mackie. I was afraid that his poor performances were because he was knackered rather than his lack of fitness. Hugely relieved to be wrong!
Virtually no farting about with the ball at the back from our own roll outs or short kicks.
Eastwood being back (although I thought he'd knackered his finger again at one point in the first half)
Browne was good - he's obviously still not fit though. Will he ever be 100%?
Mousinho as defensive mf (where he played for Burton). It plays to his strengths and minimises the damage if he make one of his mistakes.
Robinson not doing the post match interview.
Nice to be going home happy from football - it's been a while...

Not quite so plus points:

Our defence is still quite capable of the occasional howler.
Still in the relegation places.
We really should have put more past Plymouth.
Plymouth are abject. I know you can only beat what is in front of you, but I'd want to see us play someone a bit better before I felt a great revival was here.
Some of the football on display from both teams in the first half was laughably poor. We were better after the break - they weren't.

Other stuff:

The Plymouth keeper was terrible - dropping things, flapping at the ball, not coming for the ball when he should have etc. I thought he was one of the poorest I've seen for a while.
Unless Plymouth improve by quite a lot, one of the relegation places is already spoken for.
Does this result change my view of whether Tiger (or whoever own the club in a couple of weeks!) should be keeping their phone bills up by looking for a new manager? Not really, certainly not yet. Maybe a stay of execution. Let's see how the 'revival' goes over the next three games.

• React
Reactions: n1
Different view today and glad to be away from the same old moaners in the East Stand who in times like this make watching us play rather painful with their banter and opinions. Plymouth were terrible but you still have to beat those sorts of teams; something we've not done this season. Browne is a definite game changer, but oh to keep him fit. Mackie is a handful, but needs to stay fit. A small change in playing Mous in midfield just tightens the team up.

I hope the win gives a chink of light to some of the negativity. We have a long way to go, but hopefully a little forward momentum to the team.

Plus points:

It was a win (yahoo!)
A much better performance all over the pitch by every player
A clean sheet at home
Two league games unbeaten, 4 points out of 6
Off the bottom of the table
Mackie. I was afraid that his poor performances were because he was knackered rather than his lack of fitness. Hugely relieved to be wrong!
Virtually no farting about with the ball at the back from our own roll outs or short kicks.
Eastwood being back (although I thought he'd knackered his finger again at one point in the first half)
Browne was good - he's obviously still not fit though. Will he ever be 100%?
Mousinho as defensive mf (where he played for Burton). It plays to his strengths and minimises the damage if he make one of his mistakes.
Robinson not doing the post match interview.
Nice to be going home happy from football - it's been a while...

Not quite so plus points:

Our defence is still quite capable of the occasional howler.
Still in the relegation places.
We really should have put more past Plymouth.
Plymouth are abject. I know you can only beat what is in front of you, but I'd want to see us play someone a bit better before I felt a great revival was here.
Some of the football on display from both teams in the first half was laughably poor. We were better after the break - they weren't.

Other stuff:

The Plymouth keeper was terrible - dropping things, flapping at the ball, not coming for the ball when he should have etc. I thought he was one of the poorest I've seen for a while.
Unless Plymouth improve by quite a lot, one of the relegation places is already spoken for.
Does this result change my view of whether Tiger (or whoever own the club in a couple of weeks!) should be keeping their phone bills up by looking for a new manager? Not really, certainly not yet. Maybe a stay of execution. Let's see how the 'revival' goes over the next three games.
Their keeper was apparently some really promising kid on loan from Arsenal. He’ll probably sign for Orient when his contract ends

I sit just by the tunnel (behind away dug out) and this was actually KR appealing for a foul on Mackie and Mackie himself screaming at the fourth official for not getting the free kick. 100% this was not KR and Mackie shouting at each other. :)
I’m actually glad that this wasn’t the case - good on Mackie for showing such commitment in all areas. He was great today.

Loved this exchange on the Plymouth forum (http://www.argyletd.com/t11823p25-oxford-v-argyle):

"Just when you though it couldn’t possibly get any worse ..we’re bang in trouble seems Oxford are a better bag of s**t than we are ffs"

"They're not just better, they're totally a class above."

The next 3 or 4 games will determine whether Plymouth were so poor it flattered us or whether today we have witnessed the first signs of a revival.
Let's hope it's the latter.

Much better today, and we actually looked more organised.

Thought Browne made the difference today, pace frightens teams. Also, nice to see a forward actually hassling the oppositions defence which enabled our midfield to get up and support etc.

Also good that Robbo didn’t do the post match interview.

Having said this, Plymouth looked a poor inexperienced outfit who look favourites for relegation. I hope that’s not the case as they’re a good club which is well supported.

I hope both clubs stay up. Plymouth I hear have lots of injuries and a makeshift defence. I don’t think Derek Adams will last long. He seemed to blaming the referee for a Mackie staying on the pitch, and costing them the game. I can’t remember a game where the ball was in the opposition half so much in the second half. We should have buried them. If a 28 year old John Aldridge had been in the team he would have had a hat trick.I’m surprised Rovers are near the bottom. Could be a good chance for a nice away win, apparently Sercombe isn’t playing well at the moment.

Plymouth even worse than we have been. But you still have to beat them, And we did.

Attack allowed to click into gear for once. And it did. (though the Plymouth defence was pretty damned awful)

Defence rarely troubled. Although it still made a few errors that a better team would have exploited.

Three points and two clean sheets is a hopeful sign. But as far as I am concerned the jury is still out and the next few games (particularly the next one) will show whether we actually have turned the proverbial corner.

Back
Top Bottom