Home Match Day Thread +++ 13/10/18 OUFC v Plymouth Argyle +++

Well I am very happy
Browne was excellent and can’t wait until he’s fully fit
Mackie is finally showing us what he’s about as well as a well taken goal
Holmes, another great performance
Henry was shooting for fun, just needs to get more on target
Mous was immense at times
Yes 2 clean sheets in a row but not convinced Dickie is really the man for us long term
He’s slow and often miskicks the ball and should have scored with the header
I look at him and don’t see any passion.....
One win against lowly Plymouth is a start but only that we need to continue this performance and start a run of wins or wins and draws but it did look like there was more confidence in the team, so forward we go
COYY

Back home, relieved, YIPPEE a win. A well deserved win against a very poor team,hopefully this will give the club the much missed confidence. A good goal from Mackie in the past would the players have fought to get the ball and shoot, Mackie did and scored, well done Jamie. We had a dare few shots which was pleasing. Well done Admiral on your goal against your old club. What pleases me was when they had the ball our
Players fought for it and in many occasions we retrieved the ball it’s something that’s been missing this season.
Marcus Brown wow what pace he showed today glad he’s getting fit soon be playing 90 mins.
Great to see Easty back apart from one save in the first half can’t think of any other, but pleasing to see him back between the sticks.
McMahon a big improvement and played well.
Ruffles played well, shame about the yellow card which was a silly card from the ref.
Dickie played well with Nelson by his side.
Nelson as above.
Mouse superb played just in front of the back 4
Didn’t put a foot wrong.
Brannagan becoming very dependable.
Holmes nothing to say apart from superb.
Henry Mr dependable.

Baptiste did well
Cameos from Carruthers and Smith.
This team should start against the gas, a really pleasing afternoon.
It probably gives Robbo a chance.

enjoying a beer in the warm glow of a win for the first time in what feels like ages! But going to try and make some rational observations.

Pretty difficult to judge how good we were because Plymouth were just so bad. They absolutely crumbled second half. I can see why their fans were so angry. That said, they have astonishingly short memories - all calling for the managers head, even though they were in pretty much exactly the same position last year and nearly made the playoffs. A bit baffling.

We enjoyed a bit of a perfect storm today. The early goal was exactly what we needed. Mackie, as has been said, had a superlative performance. His goal was very well taken but I was so impressed by his movement, his battling and his linkup play. Quite how he won so many balls against two centre half a each a head taller than him I simply do not understand. And the way he sometimes came short, held the ball up and brought others into play, and others made well judged runs in behind was the kind of quality I’ve not seen in an OUFC front man in ages. His whole battling mindset, proper getting in their faces, was something we’ve not had since at least Hylton.

Others have also singled out Holmes and Browne and while they both had good games (bar some of Holmes’ decision making), I think it’s difficult to say whether they were very good or the Plymouth fullbacks were terrible. Because they really were. But I think Henry deserves credit - showed brilliant close control and looks a really good central midfielder.

Defensively we were solid enough. Dickie was a bit terrorised by their big man for about 50 minutes but we prevented Carey from playing really well. I think Ruffels deserves a mention - thought he was great today. Having Mousinho at CDM has also made us much more solid. Makes us competitive in the air in the middle and is a very intelligent player. I noticed him covering the full backs when they got pulled out of position a few times, plugging holes and making us solid. Credit to KR for the change in shape.

I have to say though that some of the standard of play throughout I haven’t seen since L2. We got it down and played it occasionally, but there were a hell of a lot of aimless hoofs down the channels.

Anything but a win here would have been horrendous, so it’s diffixult to give too much praise. But I’d like to think that now we’ve powered through our injury-hit patch we’re looking better. Two clean sheets in a row and four points. Tentatively regaining hope.

Just a word for the crowd as well.
Reading this forum sometimes is pretty miserable ( and I get the recent negativity)
But at the game today the crowd were behind the team throughout and were pretty positive where I sat.
They were yes, but I didn’t hear “ Robbo's yellow and blue army ‘ heard yellow and blue army

Not a bad side, and one on paper that shouldn’t be bottom of the league. However the games not played on paper.

The players are bereft of confidence & belief, and we lack some serious fire power up front.

My guess is that Robinson will go with lots of experience, the same back four at Southend, therefore McMahon instead of Norman, Henry to start, with Browne ( the best player in League 1!) getting the nod over Baptiste. Formation ? Who knows under KR.

Eastwood.
McMahon, Dickie, Nelson, Ruffels,
Browne, Mousinho, Branigan, Holmes,
Henry,
Mackie.

Mitchell, Hanson, Carruthers, Smith, Baptiste, Norman, Garbutt.

Hoping for a win, suspect it will be a draw.

Well I got Robinson’s starting XI correct!;) and in fairness to the manager his more experienced players (Mousinho, Henry, Holmes & Mackie) were probably the difference between the two sides.

A very welcome win albeit against a poor Plymouth side.

Robinson’s position still on a knife edge for me.

Let’s go and win at Rovers next week.

As far as I’m aware - I’m prepared to take stick for this if I’m wrong - we’ve had Dickie, Nelson and Mousinho all fit and available for the vast majority of games. People have been calling for Mous to be pushed into midfield and Dickie at CB for weeks. Robinson finally did it out of desperation last week and the difference has been really noticeable. Better late than never I suppose.

It’s just lovely to be able to walk away from a game with a win, seems a strange feeling. We were well worth the win, and it should of been more. We went back to basics a bit, which we needed to do and have something to build on now, the league position is not greatly improved so we can’t follow this up with back to back losses against Bristol and Charlton.

Plymouth were the worse team I have seen since we came back to this level, on that performance they will come bottom with around 30 points, there full backs reminded me of ours when we were struggling in the conference.

Last edited:
Where are G.U.Kip and mellowyellow? Don't they like us winning?

Cheap shot malcky boy. Cheap shot. Funny a moderator on his own forum getting troll like. I've been very positive/realistic for a long time. I've even got some likes you know....:ROFLMAO:. Oops forgot. Fantastic win, now onto Brizzle Rovers. A great team to play considering the position they are in. A very winnable game, looking forward to being there already.

That was lovely.

Great to see Eastwood back between the sticks. More importantly the 4 or 5 players we have who probably have over a 1000 appearances between them and quite a few promotions all came to the party today and managed the game. Don't care about it being against bottom of the league, they SHOULD be winning us at least 15 games a season through their ability and experience alone.

Don't let it go to waste though lads, please. Let's get to 50 and get to 50 quickly. We can do it.

COYY!!!!

The senior players turned up today. Mousinho was great at closing down space and Mackie fought like a dog up front; a performance of nous and professionalism.

Having said that Argyle were a shambles - three of four. of their players appeared to be going through the motions.

I can certainly predict we’ll finish above that shower at least.

Crowd were good - and it was a special bonus not to have Robbo not mithering on with his verbal diarrohea post match.

COYY

Some positives out there today and hopefully onwards and upwards but it did look a bit league two today.

Whoa there. Let’s not get carried away.
Yes we won but come on Plymouth we’re absolutely awful. One of the worst teams I’ve ever seen.
On a positive note Browne and Mackle looked good, Whyte to come back in. Plus a clean sheet.
Let’s prove ourselves with an away win against Bristol (or Scunthorpe) and perhaps we can being to get some confidence and build some momentum.

Interesting that Robinson isn’t talking to RO tonight. Making some sort of point now he’s a victorious manager maybe..? Can’t blame him I suppose, as long as he backs it up next week with another performance.

Maybe the club have gagged him after the verbal diarrhea this season so far and decided to ask Shaun Derry to pick up the duties.

Good win but they need to follow up with a good result in the Bristol Rovers game.

Back
Top Bottom