Away Match Day Thread +++ 1/1/2019 Plymouth Argyle v OUFC match day thread+++

I agree with you, and my answer to your question is no, of course not.

What annoyed me yesterday were all the negative one-liners putting down our club posted in the middle of a match. I see most of these have been deleted now.

Constructive criticism is fine, constant negativity offering no solutions just doesn’t sit right with me. A supporter should do just that, support.

There are some serial offenders sadly. Some posters just want the club to fail.

At least with methven you knew he had a personal vendetta.

Well 0-1 then 0-2 then 3-0 I wonder what odds are for 0-4 in our next league game.
Yes KR sounded like a broken man yesterday after the game, but the buck must stop with him, initially many his summer signings have failed, either with injuries that were known before they came here and that’s why we managed to get them, Hall a great player has disappeared due to another injury, Smith, Garbs and M all 3 loans have failed so much so that 2 return to their parent clubs and Garbs is possibly only here because we can’t send him back. Obika, Smith and Mackie were our forwards at the start of the season
Well halfway thro the season and their league goals tally added together are a joke let alone individually but we need to sort the defence out, even that 16 match unbeaten run for those that were there realise that it was more by luck than skill, and I don’t mind lack of skill and ability but I do mind lack of effort and lack of passion. Raglan can’t do any worse than Dickie but given the chance of a game he might show more effort

Well he has been, and when asked questions he referred to the club as us which still indicates to me he wants to do as well as he can for us whilst he’s here.
Did you hear the bit where if he was asked about his future he would end the interview?

Did you hear the bit where if he was asked about his future he would end the interview?

Yes, I think the bit I’ve mentioned (the us bit) was after that.

He could have handled the situation better, but he’d just lost to the team he’d left a few years ago to better himself, the club he’s joined seems to be a rudderless ship, he may have been forced to do an interview which he probably didn’t want to do, and he’s NOT the captain (remember that was taken away from him because he hasn’t engaged in new contractual discussions) etc.

It’s been fairly obvious for months now that he’s wanted to go or improve his current package, but I’d guess at the former, so knowing putting this all together that’s why he didn’t want to get drawn into those kind of discussions.

Like I said earlier, he could have responded more politely etc, but he was hurting over the loss against his former team etc.

On another front, may be he was hoping we had turned a corner a few weeks ago and that there was a possibility that we could have made the play offs with a few additions in January, but these last few days have finally put the nail in the coffin for that meaning that if he wants to play at a higher level which he’s more than capable of he needs to act sooner rather than later.

Having said all that and as mentioned in my previous comments, I would keep him here until the summer rather than get a few hundred thousand for him now.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the bit I’ve mentioned was after that.

He could have handled the situation better, but he’d just lost to the team he’d left a few years ago to better himself, the club he’s joined seems to be a rudderless ship, he may have been forced to do an interview which he probably didn’t want to do, and he’s NOT the captain (remember that was taken away from him because he hasn’t engaged in new contractual discussions) etc.

It’s been fairly obvious for months now that he’s wanted to go or improve his current package, but I’d guess at the former, so knowing putting this all together that’s why he didn’t want to get drawn into those kind of discussions.

Like I said earlier, he could have responded more politely etc, but he was hurting over the loss against his former team etc.

On another front, may be he was hoping we had turned a corner a few weeks ago and that there was a possibility that we could have made the play offs with a few additions in January, but these last few days have finally put the nail in the coffin for that meaning that if he wants to play at a higher level which he’s more than capable of he needs to act sooner rather than later.

Having said all that and as mentioned in my previous comments, I would keep him here until the summer rather than get a few hundred thousand for him now.
If the right price is offered he can go because his heart isn’t in it anymore as shown in recent weeks some of his defensive duties have been woeful

If the right price is offered he can go because his heart isn’t in it anymore as shown in recent weeks some of his defensive duties have been woeful

Barry are you being serious? You’re allowing your emotions get the better of you, a bit like Nelson did yesterday.

He has been our best defender by a country mile and has still given his all. He has been the ultimate professional unlike O’Dowda or Johnson etc.

He’s not a fan like us Barry, this is his trade and he’s trying to do/earn the best he can.

The unfortunate situation is, this isn’t the club he joined a few years ago. You know the one, the one that had drive, direction, ambition etc. ( can blame Eales for that) May be, yesterday he felt he’d actually he’d gone backwards. Bit embarrassing going back to your old employers after leaving them for a brighter future and end up being humiliated don’t you think, then to be asked to do an interview! Another ploy by Robinson if you ask me e.g. as if to say, I can’t get him to change his mind see what you can do.

Last edited:

I also forgot to ask you what the right price is?

And just on that, if we do sell him who gets the money, Eales or the club?

I also forgot to ask you what the right price is?

And just on that, if we do sell him who gets the money, Eales or the club?
There seems to be confusion over who would get the money, apparently there was according to the itk’s A clause that he DE could only get so much in sell on clauses. My argument is that he has not performed well in recent games ( and I haven’t forgotten Dickie) but his heart isn’t in the club anymore and if it’s true 285k was paid for him also I believe there is a sell on clause, then we must recoup that money for him to go, or so we let him see his contract out and his attitude gets worse and he could actually cost us games.

The tribunal set the fee for the Nelson transfer as he was classified as a young player, so I doubt there will be a sell on fee for Nelson. If there was, it would be a percentage of the profit, so if we sell for less, they would get nothing.

When/if Nelson does go now then we're up s**t creek as money is either unlikely to be available or used on a new cb. With Dickie also currently going thru a bad patch that is likely to mean relegation - unless KR changes his formation/tactics or is replaced. One up front offers no threat to the opposition.

Most sides have also now sussed out our pressing game and take route 1. Looking at the first two Plymouth goals both their players were unmarked - too easy for the opposition to soak it up and quickly break. As regards fatigue - anyone who swims hard regularly knows you wouldn't be doing this before a third game in a short period of time. It's hard to fathom what exactly the fitness coach is up to if he sanctioned this.

Just watched the goals
We have 6 outfield players in our box all within 2 to 3 metres of each other not marking anyone, watching the hall
There were 4 Plymouth players in the box
With only 1 Oxford player near them so when the shot is deflected it goes behind 5 Oxford players but in the middle of 4 unmarked Plymouth players shocking shocking defending

Just watched the goals
We have 6 outfield players in our box all within 2 to 3 metres of each other not marking anyone, watching the hall
There were 4 Plymouth players in the box
With only 1 Oxford player near them so when the shot is deflected it goes behind 5 Oxford players but in the middle of 4 unmarked Plymouth players shocking shocking defending

Rob's back, well that's cheered me up (y)

There seems to be confusion over who would get the money, apparently there was according to the itk’s A clause that he DE could only get so much in sell on clauses. My argument is that he has not performed well in recent games ( and I haven’t forgotten Dickie) but his heart isn’t in the club anymore and if it’s true 285k was paid for him also I believe there is a sell on clause, then we must recoup that money for him to go, or so we let him see his contract out and his attitude gets worse and he could actually cost us games.
Have to disagree .
Other than when injured,or out of form prior losing the Captaincy,
Nelson has ,IMO, always given his all.

Have to disagree .
Other than when injured,or out of form prior losing the Captaincy,
Nelson has ,IMO, always given his all.
Sorry doesn’t seem to be giving his all at the moment but I agree he did but not in the last few games.

Back
Top Bottom