Home Match Day Thread 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a funny point, did anyone see the Wycombe guy running to the bus stop on Blackbird Leys?
He had the tightest, smallest pair of denim shorts possible and looked ridiculous!! Spotted one Oxford fan taking a photo of him, was that you @RyanioBirdio? 🤣
They're an odd bunch Wycombe fans, something in the water down there. The kind of town where it's "give me a high six" is a standard expression.

Not sure that was as bad a game as some are making out. I thought the first half, we got stuck into matching Wycombe physically but lost sight of our own game. A couple of excellent saves from Stevens kept us in the game but it was still very even.

I thought the second half we came out with more belief and played some nice football at times. Forde and Sykes looked very good on the right, and Henry linked well with both. Gorrin and Brannagan were both fantastic in the middle, and bullied Wycombe back. Neither gave an inch and it put Wycombe on the back foot. Taylor, I thought looked much better. He was coming deep to try to influence games, ran the line well and hassled their back four, and was unlucky not to get on the end of a number of decent balls into the box.

Gavin Whyte looked poor. I know that sometimes we see things differently depending on where we sit, but with the exception of one run in the first half I cam barely remember him doing anything of note. I know he is on his less preferred side, but I would have expected him to have found a way to have a greater influence. Others might have seen it differently, but he was the weak link for me from an attacking perspective.

Our defence was much more solid, and dealt with most things that Wycombe had to offer. A couple of nervy moments but certainly much better than last week.

Also, I'm sure there will be comments about the lateness of the subs. However, we were in control late into the game and looking more likely to score. I think making the subs much earlier could have killed our rhythm and other than switching Whyte I'm not sure they would have made much difference.

Certainly more to be happy about than to be worried about.
I know you’re always on the positive bus which I admire, but that was a poor spectacle of a game.

What annoyed me was, they were there for the taking, but Robinson always thinks too deeply and worries about the opposition rather than them worrying about us.

Put it this way, they’re be more happier with the result than the majority of Oxford fans are tonight.

I’ll also stick my neck out and say that I don’t believe Robinson will be the man to take this club to the next level, but I hope I’m wrong as I do like him but get constantly frustrated with him.

Last edited:
Not sure that was as bad a game as some are making out. I thought the first half, we got stuck into matching Wycombe physically but lost sight of our own game. A couple of excellent saves from Stevens kept us in the game but it was still very even.

I thought the second half we came out with more belief and played some nice football at times. Forde and Sykes looked very good on the right, and Henry linked well with both. Gorrin and Brannagan were both fantastic in the middle, and bullied Wycombe back. Neither gave an inch and it put Wycombe on the back foot. Taylor, I thought looked much better. He was coming deep to try to influence games, ran the line well and hassled their back four, and was unlucky not to get on the end of a number of decent balls into the box.

Gavin Whyte looked poor. I know that sometimes we see things differently depending on where we sit, but with the exception of one run in the first half I cam barely remember him doing anything of note. I know he is on his less preferred side, but I would have expected him to have found a way to have a greater influence. Others might have seen it differently, but he was the weak link for me from an attacking perspective.

Our defence was much more solid, and dealt with most things that Wycombe had to offer. A couple of nervy moments but certainly much better than last week.

Also, I'm sure there will be comments about the lateness of the subs. However, we were in control late into the game and looking more likely to score. I think making the subs much earlier could have killed our rhythm and other than switching Whyte I'm not sure they would have made much difference.

All good points, apart from Whyte. When given the ball he looked dangerous.
Two centre backs played well. Gorrin is a trooper.

Must admit I don’t disagree with you that often.
But why did the messiah wait until the 89 min to take off two players you thought were very good.
And not replace as in your words a poor player.
Seems to be a recurring thing lately.

Last edited:
They used to live in the hills making furniture around Wycombe and you know the hills have eyes!
Was in the North Stand today with an old friend and their end looked like the green room for Jeremy Kyle. Missing teeth, obese, tatty clothes.

THat was the sort of game where you needed every player at their best and I didn’t think Whyte did enough. It was Taylor’s sort of match and he stood up to them well. God I hate that c word Jacobson

E_BOkc2XsAUZcBS

I’m just happy that one is out the way I honestly couldn’t watch Wycombe every week it miss frustrate there supporter 😉 watching that I wouldn’t even know how to describe what they do but they actually have some decent players which is strange considering how they play
Gorrin had a good game today,cam bran doesn’t need words,Taylor just needs a goal I don’t see what Holland brings to the team .. Whyte I think same as Taylor needs a goal to get some confidence he doesn’t look the same player as the one we sold to Cardiff

As he did against Wimbledon, Taylor grafted today and but for some last ditch interceptions would have been on the end of a couple of tap ins. Stick with him, he’ll come good again.
We worked hard and despite every bit of falling over, feigning injury and niggly off the ball stuff that Wycombe did we matched them for physicality and looked threatening throughout the game.
Disappointed with a draw but not too disappointed, in years gone by we’d have capitulated at 90 plus minutes to yet another aerial assault.

I’m certainly no fan of Wycombe but my lad said to me after about 80 minutes that in a weird way Wycombe look like a championship side and I sort of know where he’s coming from. They looked to have learnt some of the dark arts that sides up the leagues often have, they are physically imposing and carry a threat in the final third.

We did well to compete and come out on top in lots of areas but looked like a neat and tidy side just short of height, presence and experience in trying to outdo Wycombe and their tactics.

A mixture of both sides - on the day - would probably romp to promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom