Home Match Day Thread 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a point against a team playing a different sport to us isn't bad.

Not the best game I've ever seen but we kept the Wycombe fans quiet on the whole and we must remember we're still unbeaten at home. No one played badly and it was just a case of being disrupted buy a bunch of cheats.

Strange Wycombe side though. Is it just me or did Vokes look like someone's Dad? Ditto Stockdale? Mind you that Anthony Stewart deserves to be playing somewhere better than Wycombe.

I think the old rocker was wearing ultra skinny jeans , shirt unbuttoned to the waist and his lucky leather shoes

Ec1ZqcvX0AUxmK-

I’m certainly no fan of Wycombe but my lad said to me after about 80 minutes that in a weird way Wycombe look like a championship side and I sort of know where he’s coming from. They looked to have learnt some of the dark arts that sides up the leagues often have, they are physically imposing and carry a threat in the final third.

We did well to compete and come out on top in lots of areas but looked like a neat and tidy side just short of height, presence and experience in trying to outdo Wycombe and their tactics.

A mixture of both sides - on the day - would probably romp to promotion.
You sure he didn’t say conference side!?

A game which wasn’t entertaining but not boring for a nil nil in that you had the feeling either team might nick the 3 points.

We out footballed them when we got the ball down and didn’t get dragged into a battle, but that’s not hard against a side who have no real interest in playing anything but a very basic game. They are a bit better version of the last time we played them, couldn’t watch that for 46 games.

We lacked the cutting edge to make the most of our superior footballing ability, Whyte is wasted on the left, either put him on the right or don’t pick him.

Decent enough point if we follow it up by beating Cheltenham next week.

How the hell is Akinfenwa still a professional footballer by the way? Can barely move let alone run. It sums up High Wycombes approach that he has a contract there, makes Winnall look like a contender for the GB 4 X 100 relay team.

Something I’ve picked up on their forum, which goes some way to explain why the OB went into the Wycombe fans.

I was sat next to segregation (unfortunately, full of clowns) through out the game a black steward was telling people to calm down and towards the end of the game a moron behind me shouted at him "f**k off you golliwog" I turned and challenged him and to my surprise a black guy was stood near him and was also challenging him. I've give a statement to the police etc.....

Something I’ve picked up on their forum, which goes some way to explain why the OB went into the Wycombe fans.

I was sat next to segregation (unfortunately, full of clowns) through out the game a black steward was telling people to calm down and towards the end of the game a moron behind me shouted at him "f**k off you golliwog" I turned and challenged him and to my surprise a black guy was stood near him and was also challenging him. I've give a statement to the police etc.....
Was a strange atmosphere by the segregation today. Some Oxford fan lost his temper with something a wycombe fan shouted over at the final whistle. Think another lad was clocked by police on the way out.

To be fair many in the Wycombe end were boringly looking to goad oxford throughout the game.

Was a strange atmosphere by the segregation today. Some Oxford fan lost his temper with something a wycombe fan shouted over at the final whistle. Think another lad was clocked by police on the way out.

To be fair many in the Wycombe end were boringly looking to goad oxford throughout the game.
Fare play to the Wycombe fan for reporting a fellow Wycombe fan.

Fare play to the Wycombe fan for reporting a fellow Wycombe fan.
Indeed. Perhaps the incident you are talking about is why an older oxford lad lost his head at the end trying to get to the Wycombe fans. It certainly got heated well after the final whistle was blown.

Aside from the nonsense the atmosphere was really subdued from both sides. Compare that to a Swindon atmosphere... I guess Wycombe just don't have a rival so like to make it into a big game for them.

Also a few of their chants just lacked some basic intellect. "2-1 on your big day out" ... it was a night match with no crowd.

Also "championship football, you'll never see that" was weird. They didn't either unless they were referring to ifollow... but we can all watch championship football on Sky.

A really weird old bunch, even though we have a rivalry with Swindon I must admit they have a more "proper" support, Wycombe seem like a bunch of weirdos who watch Wycombe for a "a laugh" but really support arsenal.

What a bloody awful game that was. I agree with the majority view of Wycombe - they were limited and niggly, with a game plan that makes it a lottery who wins. I too would hate to watch that every week. The bloke who came on here saying they have changed is deluding himself - if anything they have got worse. Having said that, it was fairly effective against us - we couldn't really unpick them and at times we started to resort to their tactics.

The ref was incompetent. How he is considered good enough to ref at L1 level, I will never know. He was awful (for both teams) throughout the game.

Good points for us? McNally and Gorrin playing well, getting a point as I thought we'd lose, no injuries, seeing Long back

Bad points? Inability to impose our style, the realisation that we are probably a striker short especially if Taylor is going through a lean patch, not creating any real chances.

One to forget really.

Our home support is disappointing.

7.5k. Many talk us up, but time and time again the Oxfordshire public just doesn’t back the club.

It's expensive, the facilities aren't great, no 4th stand for the away fans so the whole of the North stand could be our family stand, the location is rubbish unless you're coming from Sandford or Blackbird leys, it normally smells of sewerage, the match day experience is crap, no decent boozers around the stadium, car park is a nightmare to get out of so need to add an extra 45 minutes to get home, can't park in the side streets around the ground as its permit holders
, busses from the city centre taking over half an hour to get to the ground,

Do you need anymore of why we aren't hitting over 10k home fans?

Good on you 👏🏻

Until we find consistency, whether it be taking chances, overcoming a shortage of appropriate cover at the back or combating set pieces we are going to find it hard to remain in and around the top 6. A home game against Wycombe, should be seen as a good chance to get 3 points, but in all honesty how many fans are pleased with a draw. On paper we had more than enough to beat them, yet we seem to not have confidence until we know what Oxford team is going to turn up on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom