Away Match Day Thread 09/03/2021 L1 Swindon Town v OUFC

Moore is turning into an absolute baller. Showing a lot more aggression and willingness to use his physicality. Thinking of the goal against Wigan but also how he was one of the first into the fray every time play was broken up last night, without ever being a risk to lose his cool. Must be really imposing to play against. Someone else mentioned his long range passes, and I couldn't agree more - a really nice complement to Atkinson carrying the ball forwards and our best outlet as the game went on.
Totally. He also made one brilliant sliding tackle in the first half to stop their player going through. Slid in, took the ball, got up and went on his way. Quality.

He’s got to be next on the contract front. He’s into his last 12 months come the summer and will be 24 when his deal expires, so can leave for nothing in just over a year. Give him a multi pack of Quavers and a massage and get him signed up pronto.

We had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, more corners. Sometimes you don’t need fancy new stats to show who dominated the game.
Absolutely. Stats will never tell you the answer, they'll point you in the right direction.

Here, the only think I think xG says is that Swindon could have nicked a second goal and stolen a point. No one should be surprised with that, because we're referring solely to the missed penalty. It's about as little insight as the xG stat could ever produce, so I am not at all surprised if I hear the finest analysts Swindon has to offer are holding it up as some beacon of wisdom.

Christ, I'm glad we beat them.

From the highlights, looking at Gorrin and Barker's reaction it was definitely a penalty. Gorrin looked very unhappy at the challenge.

I am putting our win purely down to me switching to my 16/17 shirt as I felt bad energy with my Centenary replica. Perfect considering it was the kit that Rob Hall banged in that stunner with.
I shall continue.
When I was going to bed I realised that, completely by accident, I'd been wearing my undies inside out all day. You look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't explain a two-deflection goal in the first 3 minutes and a missed penalty.

The more I see Lyden's challenge on Moore, if Sykes should have been red carded as according to Scumdon, then Lyden should have gone as his follow through turned into something looking like a 2 footed challenge. I think the Ref got both right though on balance.

Barker sold Caddis a beauty of a dummy on his goal (I appreciate it is an own goal though).

I thought it at the time but Ruffs definitely had a nod at the Stratton Bank when celebrating as shown on the above.

When I was going to bed I realised that, completely by accident, I'd been wearing my undies inside out all day. You look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't explain a two-deflection goal in the first 3 minutes and a missed penalty.
I don’t want to look you in the eye at all after hearing you talk about your pants.

But I’m going to anyway.

Great placed header by Barker as well to set up Taylor (which he blazed over) just before Taylor gave away the penalty.

Well, if we go on a winning streak now, you'll be able to show everyone what a streak is, without taking them off.

Well, if we go on a winning streak now, you'll be able to show everyone what a streak is, without taking them off.

Do you know @ttg17 personally? It may be a bit of a leap to assume that he changes his underpants every Saturday whether he needs to or not :rolleyes:

Do you know @ttg17 personally? It may be a bit of a leap to assume that he changes his underpants every Saturday whether he needs to or not :rolleyes:
I don't believe we've been formally introduced however, some occasionally 'odd' characters have engaged us in conversation at away games.
Willing to admit, that would be a bit of a leap to such a conclusion.

Still smiling. After the home defeat the kids realised how important it was as they had never previously experienced a loss to those lot during their lifetime. Eldest is a diehard season ticket OUFC fan, youngest supports but not fanatically, the youngest and the missus couldn't believe how grumpy I was after that defeat and for how long after. So they decided to watch and cheer us on to victory last night to make sure I wasn't grumpy again.

The guy who got battered by Sykes and ended up wearing that ridiculous bandage was such a funny sight. Only time I have seen anything remotely like that was old film footage from World War 1 when soldiers had been shelled and shot up and they wore a bandage like that to keep their head on their neck and stop their ears or jaw falling off. Seemed very dramatic that such a bandage was needed in a football match. Made me have a bit of a chuckle, and I'm sure everyone at the skip representing OUFC must have been inwardly chuckling as well. That will be his forever image on Instagram, YouTube and Twitter now for years. Shame. No matter how good he does in the rest of his career that image will always be with him. The irony is that if he had been rightly sent off for that disgraceful tackle on Moore he wouldn't have had to suffer such a lifelong embarrassing event shortly afterwards.

Agree with this. If we'd given Barker the ball more throughout the match, he'd have shone more. He's the kind of player we've been missing.
Throw in the fact he’s probably worried about leaving Ruffels 1on1 as he was poor again first half. 2nd half much better. Needs to start games quicker. Same happened at MK

Taylor needs to go for the near post when Barker crosses as that seems to be where a lot of his crosses go.
I agree, there have been a number of times whern Taylor has been the wrong side of the goal or defender to score from the move being made ny our wide players.

Back
Top Bottom