Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think Manning leaving is as straight forward as you make it out to be i.e doesn't believe in himself, didn't think he could get us up etc. It might make some people feel better to think those the were the reasons. Reality is Bristol City are a bigger club than us, playing consistently in a higher division who were able to offer significantly more in wages. I think a better argument would be that he went there because he does believe in himself and that he had no emotional attachment to Oxford.
He can do what he likes obviously. But my point was/is that if he'd got us in the Playoffs or promoted, he'd have been on the radar of much bigger clubs than Bristol City. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted. Look at the current PL managers. I reckon at least 15 of them proved their creds by getting promotion at smaller clubs. By the way, chasing the money is fine, but I think what annoyed so many people is that it exposed all his management guff as sanctimonious bs.

He can do what he likes obviously. But my point was/is that if he'd got us in the Playoffs or promoted, he'd have been on the radar of much bigger clubs than Bristol City. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted. Look at the current PL managers. I reckon at least 15 of them proved their creds by getting promotion at smaller clubs. By the way, chasing the money is fine, but I think what annoyed so many people is that it exposed all his management guff as sanctimonious bs.

I used to think that regarding getting us promoted but actually think it's wrong now. He appears like someone with total belief in himself. I am sure he has belief he can get City promoted and then he will be on even bigger clubs radar or managing City in the PL. His massive increase in salary was surely a factor too. So I don't agree he didn't think he could get us promoted or didn't believe in himself. I don't disagree about his management guff though!

Weakest league L1, probably in a generation - certainly in my recent memory. Sitting clear second in November, a time scale when the league has settled down and you expect current positions to be a reasonable guide as to how the rest of the season might go. I’ve not seen a stand out side in the entire division, in fact I can’t recall who but the best side I’ve seen at ours over 90 minutes was a team in the bottom half and one we beat on the day/night - Charlton maybe ? Exeter possibly. To say we could never get promoted and there was hangover from KR ? Really ? What’s the hangover ? Elliott Moore, who he signed, has been our stand out player. McGuane, who he signed, has been not far behind (certainly early season), Cairon Brown, who he signed, has been exceptional bar the last two or three games. There’s a bit of dead wood left - Henry, Murphy etc - but come on ! There’s not masses of Robinson finger prints left on this side bar the ones I mention who have been among our top five players over the season.
I think there’s more dead wood mate, dont forget Findlay, Marcus browne, seddon,
At the moment we have at least 4 wages wasted some of them are huge and this effects how we can do in the transfer window

Last edited:
So we have a great window and play great against Pompey and we’re praising Des.
We draw with Reading…. it’s Des out!!!!

Good lord, don’t know about a new manager….we need new fans!! 🤣🤣
Did we not sign any new fans in the January transfer window? Could definitely do with some fresh impetus and get rid of the deadwood.

Those who say Manning wouldn’t have got us promoted because he was better at winning games than winning xG battles presumably think it was mad to get rid of KR, who was able to win xG battles without winning games.

I don't think Manning leaving is as straight forward as you make it out to be i.e doesn't believe in himself, didn't think he could get us up etc. It might make some people feel better to think those the were the reasons. Reality is Bristol City are a bigger club than us, playing consistently in a higher division who were able to offer significantly more in wages. I think a better argument would be that he went there because he does believe in himself and that he had no emotional attachment to Oxford.
He can do what he likes obviously. But my point was/is that if he'd got us in the Playoffs or promoted, he'd have been on the radar of much bigger clubs than Bristol City. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted. Look at the current PL managers. I reckon at least 15 of them proved their creds by getting promotion at smaller clubs. By the way, chasing the money is fine, but I think what annoyed so many people is that it expo
Horton Out
"Get out, Brown!" For anyone under the age of 50, this is what an old bloke (in the 1970's) on the Beech Road used to shout every game, normally after about ten minutes. He'd keep up a stream of abuse for the full 90 minutes. He showed impressive stamina.

He can do what he likes obviously. But my point was/is that if he'd got us in the Playoffs or promoted, he'd have been on the radar of much bigger clubs than Bristol City. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted. Look at the current PL managers. I reckon at least 15 of them proved their creds by getting promotion at smaller clubs. By the way, chasing the money is fine, but I think what annoyed so many people is that it expo

"Get out, Brown!" For anyone under the age of 50, this is what an old bloke (in the 1970's) on the Beech Road used to shout every game, normally after about ten minutes. He'd keep up a stream of abuse for the full 90 minutes. He showed impressive stamina.
Haha I remember that
Also in the 80s a bloke behind me used to get at Ray Houghton. Yes, he thought Ray Houghton of all people was shite!!!
He’d shout “Get off !!!”on the rare occasion he’d misplace a pass

Last edited:
I tend to stay clear of the forum and social media following a disappointing result, so please forgive me for not trawling through the many comments on this thread. I was absolutely gutted yesterday with the way the match ended.

I'm choosing to look at the positives, sorry if what about to say has already been covered.

1. Cam Bran, I thought he was unplayable yesterday, such drive and commitment. He truly is becoming one of the best, most committed players I've seen at Oxford. He alone deserved more from the game.
2. Burey, I thought he looked a threat, whether by luck or skill he seemed to be able to go through/past players with ease. Lightening fast and some of his crossing was very good. I reckon he will do well for us. I was disappointed that he went off, but I presume the coaching staff are managing his minutes as if it were a preseason for him
3. Greg Leigh, starting to look really sharp again. I thought he was colossal, strong with the ball and in the air, defending and getting forward.
4. Overall, the defence did well. I thought Negru grew into the game. IMO, he is an out-and-out stopper, similar to Ciaran Brown. He doesn't really have the agility to play at fullback but his chipped ball over the defence for Burey to run onto before the goal, was sublime.
5. Goodhram, is back in good form again after a dip in performances in recent games.
6. The other teams around us also dropped points, so could have been a lot worse for us.
7. Add Goodwin, a fit Matete and hopefully one of the other injured wingers back, and I still think we will be strong enough to be competitive in the Play-offs.

Bolton and Pompey are likely to be well clear in the automatic places IMO.

I think there’s more dead wood mate, dont forget Findlay, Marcus browne, seddon,
At the moment we have at least 4 wages wasted some of them are huge and this effects how we can do in the transfer window

Findlay who is doing pretty well in a league a bit better than L1, Seddon arrived with a decent reputation and has done alright out on loan, although admittedly I wouldn’t want him back. Browne is an enigma, he’s the one genuine match winner we have - when he’s fit obviously. I don’t think we can heap blame on KR for him, everyone recognises his talent and was delighted when he signed. Every squad everywhere will carry a bit of deadwood, there won’t be a club in the country who hasn’t got at least one or two who they’d love to ship out.

Findlay who is doing pretty well in a league a bit better than L1, Seddon arrived with a decent reputation and has done alright out on loan, although admittedly I wouldn’t want him back. Browne is an enigma, he’s the one genuine match winner we have - when he’s fit obviously. I don’t think we can heap blame on KR for him, everyone recognises his talent and was delighted when he signed. Every squad everywhere will carry a bit of deadwood, there won’t be a club in the country who hasn’t got at least one or two who they’d love to ship out.
Your first sentence, as with most things football, is very subjective. I'm not convinced it is better than L1. I just look at some of the players we have had who came from there as established players who didn't set the world alight in L1/L2. Dave Mackay, Sean Claire and others etc plus Kane Hemming was the SPL second top goal scorer when he came to us. I think it is generally a poorer standard than L1.

So we have a great window and play great against Pompey and we’re praising Des.
We draw with Reading…. it’s Des out!!!!

Good lord, don’t know about a new manager….we need new fans!! 🤣🤣
Agreed. Can’t believe some of the criticism aimed at Des. He’s come in mid season to an injury ravaged squad who were probable upset by the Snake leaving. He has with Ed, in my opinion, excelled in the transfer window. People should give him time now settle the squad in.

I know, I know we’re running out of games; but Des is doing the best he can with the hand he’s been dealt. I’m still confident we can make the playoffs.

Your first sentence, as with most things football, is very subjective. I'm not convinced it is better than L1. I just look at some of the players we have had who came from there as established players who didn't set the world alight in L1/L2. Dave Mackay, Sean Claire and others etc plus Kane Hemming was the SPL second top goal scorer when he came to us. I think it is generally a poorer standard than L1.
Another interesting thing I noticed about the SPL this weekend - Livingston took 34 fans to Rangers yesterday

I know, I know we’re running out of games; but Des is doing the best he can with the hand he’s been dealt. I’m still confident we can make the playoffs.
[/QUOTE]

Confident we can make they play offs!

I wish I was, I hope we do, but Confident? Not they way the last 2 months have gone

Cmon mate Findlay is very ordinary at best and nowhere worth the money. Marcus browne if fit is championship to prem Level but unfortunately he’s done and has been for a while under KR. And Seddon is nowhere good enough, compare him to Leigh and Bennett and it’s enormous. I give a pass on seddon as it was earlier in KRs tenure, but let’s be honest KR wasn’t in his right mind the last year and we are seriously overpaying on wages.

Last edited:
One thing that really winds me up is literally half the attendance leaving 5 minutes from the end of the 90 game after game. Whatever has happened in a game, stay till the end and show your appreciation for the performance, leaving to get back to your car early literally destroys an already poor atmosphere at times. Must look s**t to the players too having all those empty seats 5 minutes from the end. Get what you deserve if you miss anything imo. We have to be better and do better, otherwise we deserve to be ridiculed.

Back
Top Bottom