Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Des was making the same mistakes consistently I would worry but it doesn`t seem that way.

He might be tinkering with what he`s got to get the best out of it.... as they say its better to try and fail than not to try at all.

As long as he IS learning.

I don’t know if making different mistakes is much of a defence, as we don’t seem to be moving forward under him at all.

He will get the rest of this season from most fans, he will get players back fit but he has to show something, there is learning on the job and then there is being out of your depth, the longer this goes on the more people will move onto the second view as he has shown very little so far.

Ten players injured though, some people seem to want to overlook it.
I didn’t think this guy was the right appointment but I will judge him once everyone is fit again.
Also whatever anyone thinks he is here for the long haul regardless, because of the investment to bring him in.
So maybe just get behind the team perhaps for a change.
Are the two mutually exclusive? I’ll get behind the team but it won’t stop me having serious concerns about Des’ competence to lead the team.

And I was someone who was happy at the time of his appointment. I was expecting a lot more. More presence, more leadership qualities, more assertiveness, more clarity.

It is early days though and, as someone else has said, he should - and will - get the rest of this season to show what he is all about.

Stevenage with another late goal.. Back to 7th it looks like.
Just watched it, Blackpool ran them ragged first half. just like us can’t put 2 half’s together.
Not sure we’re capable of staying in the game as Stevenage
Stevenage dragged them down to their standard, and done a job on them.
Big physical and dogged.
Keeper and Roberts had very good games for Stevenage,

Ten players injured though, some people seem to want to overlook it.
I didn’t think this guy was the right appointment but I will judge him once everyone is fit again.
Also whatever anyone thinks he is here for the long haul regardless, because of the investment to bring him in.
So maybe just get behind the team perhaps for a change.

4 players back next weekend. By the time we have a fully fit squad, the season will be gone.

The squad is set up for 4231, but Des stated his preferred system is 343 or 433…he is clearly having to adapt, but we are now 13(?) league matches into his tenure and I think most would struggle to understand what the plan is. Are we a pressing team? Are we trying to create from cutbacks? Crosses? It still feels very muddled and reactionary.

I’m not suggesting Des is sacked, but when Long, Murphy, Bodin and Goodwin return this week, the injury excuse disappears, in my mind. Hopefully there’s an improvement in performances and results.

I've not read through all of this but one thing that infuriates me is how switched off we are almost constantly. Every single game we get caught out by quick throws and free kicks and very rarely take advantage ourselves. It's another case of us looking disorganised.

We've got players missing who would have made a difference but taking Burey off was an error, the only outlet we have with any pace. Once again the press was really poor, Harris and Rodrigues have a pop closing four players down between them, get played round and no one else has gone too so there's acres of space. If the whole team aren't going to do it then don't bother until your opponents get further forwards or there's a particular player you want to target. It doesn't look like it's worked on at all.

Rodrigues poor again today, often either slows it down or picks the wrong pass. We managed to turn the ball over a few times high up the pitch, mostly through their incompetence, and often it broke down with Ruben. Had a chance to shoot first half but delayed and played it to Burey who was offside, picked the wrong ball when we had a break second half that fortunately made it to Goodrham, played a fairly simple ball into touch and put Dale in the corner when we had space and that's just off the top of my head. The less said about Negru at right back the better, although to be fair I don't know what other options we had bar maybe Dale but that's a hell of an ask.

All very concerning. I've said before that Des has been stitched up in terms of his backroom staff and we've got loads of injuries but I still don't see any plan in possession and we're so soft out of it.

Iam 100% behind the team ,but like alot of other fans I think we are disappointed by how we have slip out of the top 6 with ease. Today we had a great chance to take the game to Reading we were the home side with another really good following but the passion seemed lacking or the team method seemed lacking ,iam sure everyone wants Des to do well .I think next week will be a big test if we get stuffed up there. Iam sure once again wr will take a decent following, players could be back. Long ,Cumming, maybe Murphy but I've got to say what I've seen of Burey so far he's a different class. Dale iam sure won't be available and let's hope New striker is playing. But it really will be a massive game next week ,the play offs would be massive for momentum and a chance for Wembley. Let's hope

I’m not suggesting Des is sacked, but when Long, Murphy, Bodin and Goodwin return this week, the injury excuse disappears, in my mind. Hopefully there’s an improvement in performances and results.

Cumming meant to be back as well. And then I think I read somewhere that Bennett would be back the following weekend - not sure of the source for that though.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I’ll get behind the team but it won’t stop me having serious concerns about Des’ competence to lead the team.

And I was someone who was happy at the time of his appointment. I was expecting a lot more. More presence, more leadership qualities, more assertiveness, more clarity.

It is early days though and, as someone else has said, he should - and will - get the rest of this season to show what he is all about.
Injuries are crippling to any team though. He’s been Really unlucky.

4 players back next weekend. By the time we have a fully fit squad, the season will be gone.

The squad is set up for 4231, but Des stated his preferred system is 343 or 433…he is clearly having to adapt, but we are now 13(?) league matches into his tenure and I think most would struggle to understand what the plan is. Are we a pressing team? Are we trying to create from cutbacks? Crosses? It still feels very muddled and reactionary.

In reality, I think they can only afford to lose 1-2 more games this season.

Luke somebody said ,we haven't had Reading problems and they outplayed us at times.

Cumming meant to be back as well. And then I think I read somewhere that Bennett would be back the following weekend - not sure of the source for that though.
I hope nobody is claiming Edwards is part of this legion of injured players making it hard for Buckingham? He signed him in the total and full knowledge that he won't be fit until 'at least' the end of March.

To be fair he was already here, and if he hadn't got injured, he'd probably be making a difference in these games.

Well yes, but we didn't have to re-sign him! He'd officially been recalled.

Back
Top Bottom