Away Match Day Thread 01/02/2022 L1: Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see people talk about McGuane needing the space which he is often not afforded against the better sides. I think one of his big strengths is getting out of tight spaces and taking out the oppositions midfield with one turn. His biggest flaw is going down too easily, he doesn’t need too, because they will either bring him down properly or he will beat them, I bet there aren’t many times he loses the ball when he drives forward.

I called for a midfielder to drive is forward, and maybe he can be the man, if given a run in the side. It does appear to limit brannagan slightly, but Marcus needs to come for slightly deeper than a 10 to be fully effective.

Great point on the road at Wigan, lovely hotdog, rubbish hot chocolate!

I said before the game I would have taken a point and based on how it played out - have to be very happy with the point we got.

We looked positive for the first 20-25 minutes and scored a fantastic counter attacking goal. Pace in the dribble, great off the ball movement and a whole group of black shirts moving forward. But then we barely did it again in the game as Wigan dragged us into a battle rather than a football match. Quite strange really, because I thought they looked a better side when they tried to string a few passes together in the first half, so the change in direction to lump the ball forward, look for free kicks and long-throws and generally want to win the second ball can only have been to stop us from playing our way.

There goal was incredibly annoying, the ball in behind Seddon/Sykes had been on the for the majority of the first half, and we didn't react to try and eliminate the threat. Sykes was leaving their wing-back to roam, which meant Seddon was having to operate in the space, rather than commit to marking the wing-back or the forward. When you pause the highlights with the ball in the air, Sykes is in the opposition half as the front 3 pressed, Seddon is in the hole between their wing-back and forward, and one ball has then beaten Seddon and McGuane, if being really picky, McNally doesn't come across quick enough to take the option of the shot away from Lang.
I'm not sure how the ball went past Stevens either, seemed an odd dive and he look annoyed with himself as he re-took his position in goal, his flap at the cross just before half-time where they hit the post was jittery, but he did well versus the high ball in the second half.

We couldn't get going second half, became quite frantic at times and couldn't put a stop to Wigan's unrelenting and uncompromising approach. No-one in our midfield could really get a grip of the game with Naylor and Shinnie winning that battle fairly easily though the energy of Brannagan/Kane/McGuane was key in our successful defence of the point. Though all three faded about the same time, which certainly didn't help going into the final few minutes.

McGuane had a frustrating game for me, you could see what he was trying to do a lot of the time, but often over complicated it, taking an extra touch when a simple pass was on. Spent a lot of time looking for free-kicks of which some he got and some he didn't. There's definitely a player in there somewhere, but I really want to see him threatening the edge of the opposition box more, he has the ability to go on driving forward runs (Baptiste style) but seemed to prefer to twist and turn backwards last night.

I think we would have really benefitted from having a Browne or a Whyte available to come on as a pacey option for the outball as the game wore on but thought Winnall did well to keep their defenders occupied.

McNally and Moore were superb for me, bodies on the line, numerous headers won and generally didn't take any sh!t from Humphry's or Magennis. Long and Seddon also defended pretty well, though seeing McLean in acres of space out wide for the majority of the game was pretty nerve wracking.

For all that Wigan were on top in terms of territory, they only really made the one clear-cut chance in stoppage time where Stevens pulled off a great reaction save.

We'd have lost that in the past and there is something quite satisfying about getting a gritty point away from home, especially when we offered very little going forward, especially in the second half and just the 1 shot on target and 1 corner for the 90minutes.

Last edited:
A coming-of-age performance from Luke McNally - an absolutely colossal performance. He is such a strong and aerially dominant defender but also with a nice sprinkling of Atkinson-esque ball-playing qualities. Still has some work to do, but he has the potential to be an amazing player for us.

bazzer isnt advocating a straight red
the lad had already been booked
Yes i'm aware of that, my point is that commonsense needs to prevail which imho it did in this case...a 2nd Yellow leading to a red in such instances where it's more frustration than anything would see many red cards and completely ruin the game.

Now if you want to say players,managers etc should have been stopped from berating officials getting in their faces years back then i'm with you .....we wouldn't be where we are today with blatant cheating and the Tv pundits just fueled it to try justify their job

Thoughts on the Moore / Bran relationship on the pitch? Gillingham and then last night, strong words between the pair of them. Last night it appeared Bran / Moore fell out (briefly) shortly after the ball was chucked in our players face. I don't personally think either have crossed the line, just interesting too watch. Rather amusing, clearly both passionate and care. Not sure Bran wins this scrap!
P.s thought all Ox players put in a shift. Happy with the point! Roll on Sat.

Thoughts on the Moore / Bran relationship on the pitch? Gillingham and then last night, strong words between the pair of them. Last night it appeared Bran / Moore fell out (briefly) shortly after the ball was chucked in our players face. I don't personally think either have crossed the line, just interesting too watch. Rather amusing, clearly both passionate and care. Not sure Bran wins this scrap!
Last night I think Moore was shouting at Cam to not get himself sent off. He was a walking red card with that shambles of a ref.

I noticed this too! KR always mentioned there was a bit of a row in the dressing room at HT (which he liked). Very good chance it was between Moore and CamBran.

I did enjoy my trip to Wigan yesterday! Great goal, great save from Stevens at the end and battling performance against a very physical team. Found this excellent video, obviously filmed at the opposite end to where we stood so good view of both our goal and the save.

The reaction of the Wigan fan to our goal (5 mins in) is comedy gold, last time I saw an opposition fan react like that was at Millwall. 😂

Another shift in the evidence that CB is massively committed to this football club.

Should be captain. Use that as a way to get him to agree a new deal..

Moore, is a cracking CB but is not a leader. Far to quiet on the pitch.

McGuane was unplayable at times. Brannagan - our worst player. Switch their positions.

Browne/Whyte would’ve made a huge different out wide in that game.

Wanna see a front 6 of.

Kane Brannagan
Sykes McGuane Browne
Taylor

With the double sub of Whyte & Holland when it gets stretched.

Another shift in the evidence that CB is massively committed to this football club.

I agree that if in the summer we can tie Brannagan down to a extended deal then he should be made captain. But only if he extends.

Clearly didn't watch it last night then :ROFLMAO:

I did enjoy my trip to Wigan yesterday! Great goal, great save from Stevens at the end and battling performance against a very physical team. Found this excellent video, obviously filmed at the opposite end to where we stood so good view of both our goal and the save.

The reaction of the Wigan fan to our goal (5 mins in) is comedy gold, last time I saw an opposition fan react like that was at Millwall. 😂

That reaction was superb. Also, something I never want to see at Oxford Utd is music after a goal, what an utter abomination. Saw some of the good and 'interesting' defending. What is it with footballers (and I include ours) clearly hoofing a ball off the pitch and then claiming a throw in/corner/goalkick etc. As a final aside, nice to see us defending long throw ins albeit some was a tad desperate.

That was my observation last night also.
Good overall game from him, but very little in the way of motivation to the players around him .
Also showed a complete lack of managing the match- with one minute of the 90 left, he hesitated on the ball, lost it and was only saved by Kane committing a last gasp foul( for which he was yellow carded) and then Wigan hit the post !
Of late Brannigan appears to be the only player seen cajoling the players.

I did and that’s one example over how many weeks?

You only have to watch a game to see how quiet he is as a captain.
We've been doing just fine with him as captain, it's not always how much you shout on the pitch. Model pro off the pitch, calming influence on it.

Random thoughts, last night and recent games.

McNally is better on the right than the left, but he is also better than Moore on the left.
Kane needs to take lessons from Sykes on how to control a ball.
McGuane gets fouled a lot, but needs to try stay on his feet more and play to the whistle,
Should get a foul when his boot gets taken off though.
We are shockingly bad at taking throw-ins.

That was my observation last night also.
Good overall game from him, but very little in the way of motivation to the players around him .
Also showed a complete lack of managing the match- with one minute of the 90 left, he hesitated on the ball, lost it and was only saved by Kane committing a last gasp foul( for which he was yellow carded) and then Wigan hit the post !
Of late Brannigan appears to be the only player seen cajoling the players.

That was before half-time.

Moore was very vocal last night and also at Gillingham on Saturday, definitely something he has been adding to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom