Away Match Build Up 01/02/2022 L1: Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Big big test here. Get a point there and I will be happy. Get 3 points and the drinks are on Bazzer :p

Party on, or massive comedown?
Hoping for more party, expecting the comedown.
2-2. Slightly disappointing but actually a great result in context.

Yesterday's win takes some of the pressure off. I'd be more than happy with a point, they're the best in league one.

That said, we run them close at our place with a depleted squad so with most available now who knows? Stranger things have happened!

Weren’t they bitching about the postponement of the original date of the game, wankers, let’s do um.

Be happy with a draw, ecstatic with a win and a bit meh with a loss.

They seem to be one of the painfully consistent teams in the league along with Rotherham.

Although on our day.................

Take a draw. I’d like a more streetwise side for this one. Bodin, McGuane & Holland as your 3 quality subs to bring on.

Stevens
Long McNally Moore Seddon
Forde Kane Brannagan
Sykes Taylor Williams

If we draw this game we are safe from relegation for another year. 😃

3 Lincoln Yellows making the trip mid afternoon on Tuesday and another ground to cross off (that will be number 86 albeit some non league grounds in there from our conference days).

Wigan's home record is not as good as a top of the table side should be......!
They have Played 11 home league games so far.....
Won - 6, (Rotherham, Portsmouth, Shrewsbury, Burton, Cheltenham & Gillingham)
Draws - 2, (Ipswich & Wycombe)
Lost - 3, (Sheff Wed, MK Dons & Lincoln)
They also lost at home to Sunderland in the Carabao cup and only drew 0-0 with Solihill Moors at home in the FA cup 1st round..
So with those stats it looks like they struggle against top half teams at home a bit like we have been over the last few years.
We go there with a realistic chance of gaining the 3 points

I’d like to bring Kane back in to the team but McGuane doesn’t deserve to be dropped, he’s been getting better every game, and Bodin is killing it in the central role behind the striker. Therefore, how about:

Stevens
Long Moore McNally
Kane
Sykes McGuane Brannagan Seddon
Bodin
Taylor
Three at the back to give us more bodies in defence, and allow Seddon to be a wing back rather than an out of form left back. Kane still sitting and dictating play in front of the defence. Cam Bran and McGuane given licence to roam forwards a bit more if we’re on top. Bodin still in the team, and centrally. I think that gets all of our best players in the team!

I don't envy KR having to pick a team for this one. The midfield 3 have all been excellent whilst Kane has been out - but how do you leave out a man of Kane's quality?! I guess it may come down to who needs a rest the most or maybe KR will put on a rock, paper, scissors tournament with the loser being left on the bench.

Nervy 1-1 draw, similar to Ipswich where we come away pleased and the Wigan fans call us every name under the sun on Twitter.

With the amount of games we have to play in the next month there will have to be some rotation (except for Seddon as Robinson hates left backs) so Kane will definitely come back in. Maybe a 3 -5-2 with Williams as a right wing back? A point would be a good result and no shame in being professional in tough away games and going up there to make it difficult for them.

Wigan still have 21 league games to play, plus at least 2 cup games.
There is only 13 weeks left until the end of the season, they will have to play 2 games a week almost every week.
Hopefully that will catch up with them sooner or later, starting tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom