Away Match Day Thread 01/02/2022 L1: Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did and that’s one example over how many weeks?

You only have to watch a game to see how quiet he is as a captain.
In fairness, there is more than one way to lead. It’s not all about shouting and making demands of others. I also think it’s a bigger concern when you rely too heavily on one player to be vocal - there should be a group of them in there which I think we’re building towards. We appear to have a good togetherness in these big games.

The best captains are not the loudest. They lead by example which he does regularly. He’s well behaved on and off the pitch, puts his body on the line and has a good game virtually every week. He seems focused on his job and loves the club. He was absolutely right to stomp over to the ref and tower over him when he did and it just proved that he knew when enough was enough. The fact he was booked showed how weak the referee was.

he’s getting more and more vocal but I wouldn’t take this as a measure of his influence on the team.

Last edited:
Just watched the extended highlights on iFollow. I can only assume Wigan did the highlights or we had no other attack (I know this not to be true due to the linked vlog earlier) all bar our goal nothing of us going forward was shown but all our yellow cards and lots of nothing attacks by Wigan were.

Just watched the extended highlights on iFollow. I can only assume Wigan did the highlights or we had no other attack (I know this not to be true due to the linked vlog earlier) all bar our goal nothing of us going forward was shown but all our yellow cards and lots of nothing attacks by Wigan were.
We did next to nothing in the second half of any note to be fair, I vaguely remember someone slicing a shot towards the corner flag - Sykes potentially. But other than that, I'm not sure we got anywhere near their penalty area to benefit anything being a highlight.

1 shot on target - the goal and 1 corner in the 10th minute. Showing us moving forward and not getting the ball into the box probably not worth it. Wigan loading the ball into the box was more than we managed.

Edit - BBC text commentary lists out 5 goal attempts as

6 - Bodin free kick way over the bar
23 - Taylor's goal
28 - Sykes shot blocked
42 - Sykes shot blocked
49 - Sykes slice

Last edited:
We did next to nothing in the second half of any note to be fair, I vaguely remember someone slicing a shot towards the corner flag - Sykes potentially. But other than that, I'm not sure we got anywhere near their penalty area to benefit anything being a highlight.

1 shot on target - the goal and 1 corner in the 10th minute. Showing us moving forward and not getting the ball into the box probably not worth it. Wigan loading the ball into the box was more than we managed.

Edit - BBC text commentary lists out 5 goal attempts as

6 - Bodin free kick way over the bar
23 - Taylor's goal
28 - Sykes shot blocked
42 - Sykes shot blocked
49 - Sykes slice

But we did in 1st half and those Sykes efforts would have been similar to the Wigan ones shown.

Another interesting comment from their forum. I always like seeing which of our players the opposition rated - Sykes most prominent from last night in that respect, but also...

I was impressed with Seddon at LB who calmly dealt with most things even as we pushed hard down his side.

Not the common attitude from our forum these days!

I’m afraid that sam fluffed his two chances to do something useful again. I know he scored a cracking goal last week but apart from that there has been literally nothing. I would love to see him succeed but….

That was before half-time.

Moore was very vocal last night and also at Gillingham on Saturday, definitely something he has been adding to his game.
It was just before half time.
My points still stand.

Another interesting comment from their forum. I always like seeing which of our players the opposition rated - Sykes most prominent from last night in that respect, but also...

I was impressed with Seddon at LB who calmly dealt with most things even as we pushed hard down his side.

Not the common attitude from our forum these days!
Funnily enough I took a neutral to a game this season and he was impressed with Sedden

I noticed this too! KR always mentioned there was a bit of a row in the dressing room at HT (which he liked). Very good chance it was between Moore and CamBran.
He said there was arguement to be exact and from what I could see Brann acknowledged Elliott in response like yes fair play/point to his xxxx calm down you are going to get sent off.

I did enjoy my trip to Wigan yesterday! Great goal, great save from Stevens at the end and battling performance against a very physical team. Found this excellent video, obviously filmed at the opposite end to where we stood so good view of both our goal and the save.

The reaction of the Wigan fan to our goal (5 mins in) is comedy gold, last time I saw an opposition fan react like that was at Millwall. 😂
A Wigan fan posted something about a fan shouting abuse at a player, gotta be him!

We've been doing just fine with him as captain, it's not always how much you shout on the pitch. Model pro off the pitch, calming influence on it.

See also: Lil Jakey Wright

McGuane was again good, well done lad. Our coaches seem to be sorting him from a work rate and involvement perspective after that woeful Wednesday performance

But someone needs to remind him he shouldn’t be going to ground every two minutes like a poundland Jack Grealish. It was getting embarrassing at certain stages.

6 out of 10, you what? McNally was Ox man of the match by miles. Followed by Kane; that deliberate trip in first half was worth the streaming fee 😉.
The one observation I have of Mr McGuane is that he is working harder but he isn’t a natural tackler. He struggles in 50/50 engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom