Home Match Day Thread 16/02/2021 Papa John's Trophy SF - OUFC v Tranmere

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 yards. Against a goalkeeper. One against one. What’s ridiculous about that?
The stats over about 120 years of history at all professional league levels which shows that penalties are missed on a regular basis, that‘s what makes it ridiculous.

If there was no goalkeeper I would agree with you but there is and his job is to try and save the penalty which about 25% of the time he will (thanks @SteMerritt). He is also a professional footballer. Your statement suggests that a goalkeeper should never save a penalty which I repeat 120 years of history - quite a good sample size - shows us is total B*****s.

Yes we move on but come on that performance was poor, I also know we will pick ourselves up and produce good football. Win on Saturday and all will be forgotten and a win on Saturday is worth 10 wins in the PJT

Yep. It’s all about the response and I think we’ll see a much better XI on Saturday. Those that weren’t risked tonight will come back in.

I still don’t think we were ‘poor’. The approach was the right one and we did a lot correctly. The number of chances, corners and free kicks in good positions are testament to that. It was off days for a few too many though and disjointed which can happen.

Play that way against another side and we win or least salvage a draw. ‘Poor’ at times but the whole collective wasn’t.

The stats over about 120 years of history at all professional league levels which shows that penalties are missed on a regular basis, that‘s what makes it ridiculous.

If there was no goalkeeper I would agree with you but there is and his job is to try and save the penalty which about 25% of the time he will (thanks @SteMerritt). He is also a professional footballer. Your statement suggests that a goalkeeper should never save a penalty which I repeat 120 years of history - quite a good sample size - shows us is total B*****s.
I think he may have meant miss the goal frame? Still a silly statement

His original post didn’t say that and subsequent ones don’t mention that but even if that was the intention, it still isn’t backed up by available stats. Players do miss the goal on occasion. They tend to aim for the corners or top parts of the net to avoid the keeper, this introduces risk and at all levels, sometimes they get it wrong. They aren’t robots.

Would like to think we wont see the three Hs start again soon. Henry is undoubtedly a quality player but he doesnt look capable of the intensity required. Hanson might be ok as a defensive midfielder but not a right back. Hall is just not strong or quick enough any longer. Feel sorry for Easty it wasnt his fault we lost. First half we were very poor but still created some very good chances. Second half we bossed how we contrived to lose Im blaming sky and Matty the goalie gave him the whole goal to roll it into! He still did well apart from scoring. I want to see Agyei back in the squad he offers something a bit different from Winnall or Taylor. Sykes did well in the second half impressive fitness. Karl did not cover himself with glory either. Need a result on saturday.

Depends on if someone is showing it in Singapore via partners.
"Access" can mean radio only on iFollow.
Had the visual in sync with ROX last night. But, your right last season plays offs were audio only via iFollow

Play that badly and still should have won the game. But

If Grayson is intended to be our back up central defender for the rest of the season we could be in trouble if he has to be called on. Slow, poor at heading, not a great tackler, and even seems to struggle to kick the ball at times. Surely is better than he has shown so far. But must be a concern at the moment.
If Hanson is being considered as a right back again 2 years after his previous disastrous stint in that position we could be in trouble. It just cannot happen.
If Hall makes the bench let alone the team again it would be a surprise. Sad to see but he just can't do it any more. He seemed to jump scared at times that someone was going to tackle him.
Henry in midfield simply doesn't work, he has to be in an attacking free role. Same could be said for Sykes. But Lee is probably the best in that position now.
Worried that Brannagan is nowhere near his previous form when he absolutely bossed games by himself. Seems a shadow of his former self at the moment, more games will help but can we afford to give that time at the moment when there are other players wanting to play and arguably in better form. Needs to put in a really strong performance very soon to justify his place in the side. Brannagan on form walks into our team, we need to see it now.

We just need to hope Taylor has just hit a short term blip and isn't actually out of form or affected by this poor performance. He came back strong after that bad miss against Swindon, hopefully he can do it again and quickly. And we have to hope that our performances and promotion push isn't derailed by losing our best player, who unbelievably plays right back and seems to make the whole team tick.

Ok ladies and gents, enough with the playground comments, I’m not on here to trade petty insults, if I wanted that I’d stroll over to another forum where they behave like 7 yr olds and are incapable of rational, informed discussion.
This is a discussion forum, so whilst there are those who have tried to engage in discussion about my opinion I’m equally weary of those who just regurgitate the ’silly’ or ‘ridiculous’ comments.
I don’t need or want respect, and while I may not agree with others opinions I will at least respect that they have one.

Yep, again, I know about penalties being missed on a regular basis. It’s a fact. It happens.
When a player is preparing to take a penalty, do you think he should be scoring?! Or do you think’ there’s an equal or greater chance of him missing the goal or it being saved?!
But just 25% saved?
How many miss the goal completely or hit the bar or post? What are the odds of a player scoring, greater than a save or missing the goal? No actually, I don’t need stats to know what I’m expecting, especially when a top goal scorer steps up to take a penalty.
He made a mistake so we just need to move on now.
I wasn’t implying a goalkeeper should never save a penalty’, because if a keeper guesses the right way and the player makes any one of a number of errors, mental or physical, they might well save it, just 25% of the time.
So back to my original comment. In my unqualified, simplistic opinion, a professional footballer ‘shouldn’t’ miss a penalty. Never expect them to, bitterly disappointed when they do.

Scored 11 so far this season and on another day, he would have finished the game with 4 goals Sometimes, that’s just how the game goes. Taylor is there to score goals and he does that. I can forgive him for being less than excellent tonight. Come back to me when it’s 20+ games..

If that was Ageyi missing those chances. Christ, I dread to think what would happen to him....

The most obvious issue for me was the balance of our midfield. We just never exerted any control over the game, even against League Two opposition.

It is maybe possible to accommodate one of Henry and Sykes in a midfield three but, because both are ‘moment’ players rather than ‘control’ players, it leaves us exposed to play both.

It’s why I was amazed to see Brannagan come on for Gorrin rather than Henry / Hall (and move Henry into the front three). Strange decision.

If players always scored from penalties, and keepers never save a penalty then a foul in the penalty box should have the referee awarding a goal.

First half was woeful, I think KR mentioned something in his interview around the time teams are announced about being surprised by the Tranmere team/shape. Well the first half hour or so, we had absolutely no idea how to try and combat their approach which has happened a few times this season when the opposition have surprised us.

Second half was better, and we arguably created more chances than we did in the last two games v Wigan and Bristol Rovers, but didn't take them. One of those games, rub of the green type stuff. Their first goal involved a handball (insert VAR would have disallowed it type comment) but was poor defending, and the second dropped perfectly for Morris who finished it really well. On another day, Taylor's shot off the post falls to Shodipo for a tap-in, Hanson doesn't miskick in the 6-yard box and we get level or even ahead.

Frustrating overall, as they didn't look much cop at the back when put under a bit of pressure. But too many poor performances, Hall and Hanson didn't give any reason to be included going forward, Sykes was a disappointment after being bright on Sunday, Grayson looked completely shell-shocked to be thrown in and Henry had another ineffective performance.

This game now has to be the one we look back in May and say "that's where we really kicked on from".
It simply cannot be a case of "it all fell apart after Tranmere" - that would amount to failure from KR, the coaching staff and the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom