Home Match Day Thread 2/2/2021 Papa John's Trophy OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Malc

Staff member
Time for another pizza. We should win this, even with a few first teamers rested.
Get a pizza and money in the pot. Nice.

thisll be the 3rd time weve played the wombles this season so far.... they sacked Hodges after losing at home to the franchise on saturday

with a win it will set a(another) new record on consecutive wins in all competitions ( currently 8, set under Jim Smith in the 80s with 6 league wins and 2 cup wins)

I reckon it'll be a tight n nervy encounter, with the U's progressing into the Pizza Trophy semi finals ,via a 1-0 win, Sykes to score

There wasn't much in the two games we've played already and only some terrific goalkeeping maintained the 2-0 score in the league game. After 20 minutes, where we could have been 4-0 up, let alone 2, they then tactically reorganised and had the best of the remaining 70 minutes.

January signings Darnell Johnson and George Dobson are unavailable for Wimbledon as they have already played in the competition elsewhere. Both started on Saturday.
Ollie Palmer and Ben Heneghan look likely to miss out with injury.

Joe Pigott has been their main goal scorer this season and they missed him in our fluke victory over them on Boxing Day. If they’d had a goal scorer amongst the rest of the team that played that day, they would have got something from that game - or at least pulled another seven or eight worldie saves from Stevens.

£50k to the winners for tomorrow’s game is not to be sniffed at. That’s a yearly salary paid for for one of our lesser earners or just useful unbudgeted cash for whatever we fancy it for.

Give the likes of Agyei, Sykes, Eastwood, Forde and co who have been making appearances from the bench or not at all and get through to the semis. I won’t be unduly annoyed if we’re knocked out but the money is a helpful factor in wanting to stay in the EFL Trophy.

Eastwood
Forde Moore McNally Ruffels
Kelly Hanson Sykes
Hall Winnall Shodipo

1-0 Oxford, Winnall

Eastwood
Forde Moore McNally Ruffels
Kelly Hanson Sykes
Hall Winnall Shodipo

1-0 Oxford, Winnall
Imagine if Moore or especially Ruffels got injured in a game like this... disaster. I wouldn’t have either anywhere near the team tbh

Imagine if Moore or especially Ruffels got injured in a game like this... disaster. I wouldn’t have either anywhere near the team tbh
I think we will play more 'first 11' players than those listed. Seems to be a competition we are taking seriously and money involved could be useful.

I think we will play more 'first 11' players than those listed. Seems to be a competition we are taking seriously and money involved could be useful.
I agree about the money but what exactly are you basing the claim that it seems to be a competition we’re taking seriously on? Last game we played Nico Jones in central defence, the rest of the starting XI was reserve players and we brought on a sixteen year old sub.

I agree about the money but what exactly are you basing the claim that it seems to be a competition we’re taking seriously on? Last game we played Nico Jones in central defence, the rest of the starting XI was reserve players and we brought on a sixteen year old sub.
Wasnt it the game before last in pizza trophy that was GO'Ds 2 min cameo & shoot out pen ( making him the youngest ever player to play in the 'first' team)

• React
Reactions: ljs
We didnt play Jones in the last round at all. We did start the last trophy game with Moore and Long... plus Obita, Agyei and Brannagan. Also, more money on offer this round.

We did start that game with Moore and Long... plus Agyei and Brannagan. Also, more money on offer this round.
Sorry, my mistake, I was looking at the game before!

I think the new bubble system made a difference as we now can’t include youth players as we could before as they are in a different bubble.

Brannigan was coming back from injury at the time, so it was more of a fitness thing (and definitely won’t be starting this time), but I take your point on Moore and Long.

Wasnt it the game before last in pizza trophy that was GO'Ds 2 min cameo & shoot out pen ( making him the youngest ever player to play in the 'first' team)
Yes, I somehow completely forgot that thrilling Cambridge tie!!

Back
Top Bottom