Home Match Day Thread 12/01/2021 Papa Johns Trophy OUFC v Cambridge United

Malc

Staff member
At last a match day. It's been a long wait.
Cambridge are doing well in L2 and play nice football. I don't think we can keep a clean sheet but we should win. Well, I'll be disappointed if we don.t

COME ON YOU YELLOWS

Eastwood
Forde Long Moore Obita
Kelly Hanson Brannagan
Sykes Winnall Shodipo

Subs - Aygei + Hall & youngsters.

Rest - Stevens, Atkinson, Ruffels, Gorrin, McGuane, Henry, Taylor.

3-2 Oxford. Winnall first goal for Ox

Last edited:
None of the young guns (out on loan) will feature tonight......still feeling itll be a 3-1 home win Sykes, Agyei & Obita

Eastwood
Clare Moore long obita
Hanson
Forde kelly
Sykes winnall agyei

Too soon for Cam to start i think but hopefully will get 35 minutes or so.

2-1 to Oxford. Agyei and hall (off the bench)

KR has said, no youngsters tonight, not in the bubble, so first team squad only which is a shame.

I certainly have more interest in the Mickey Mouse Cup this year because of the way things sadly are.

I will probably subscribe tonight and hope we keep the momentum that's building.

4-1

I certainly have more interest in the Mickey Mouse Cup this year because of the way things sadly are.

I will probably subscribe tonight and hope we keep the momentum that's building.

4-1

Indeed.

With weeks of being housebound in prospect, and a desire to help the club, the b-team boycott feels sorely challenged.

Eastwood
Forde Moore Long Obita
Hanson
Clare Brannagan
Sykes Winnall Hall​

After a while without a game, it’s a good chance to get important minutes into a few players, whilst also allowing some important extended rest for others.

Hall has to start for me, with squad numbers limited even more next season, surely the remainder of this season, and games like this, must be his last chance to show if he’s worth keeping on.

Never usually interested in the tin pot trophy games, but I’m looking forward to the game tonight, will be a welcome break from all the COVID misery!

COYY

Bit of match fitness for Winnall and this tie will have served its purpose for me. Otherwise, as per usual with the tinpot I'm not fussed.

Bit of match fitness for Winnall and this tie will have served its purpose for me. Otherwise, as per usual with the tinpot I'm not fussed.
Are people really still boycotting this competition? Seems odd to me, it didn't work, the B teams are here to stay so surely there comes a time when you just accept it is what it is and support the club?

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I think the Trophy is perfect opportunity for League 1 teams especially, gives your second string a chance to get some game time, also allows you to blood some youngsters and gives you a very realistic opportunity to get to Wembley and win something. Not to mention earning a little bit of cash along the way.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Hanson Forde
Clare Hall Obita
Agyei​

It's a weird one this, because of the competing needs to get the first team back into the groove it was in before our long-ish lay off while also treating it as an opportunity to give squad players a run out, so I think it will be like this. We don't really have any reserve defenders to swap in if the youth are out, while this is the type of game the likes of Hanson, Hall and Agyei usually start. I'd also rather see the likes of CB, MT and JH given a run out to blow away the cobwebs towards the end of the 90, rather than start. Apart from anything, MT and JH are more likely to get a goal against more tired opposition from the division below, which would be good to get them back in the groove.

In terms of the competition more widely, the draw has been really kind to us. At least one of the teams from each of the following fixtures is going to be going out: Hull v Fleetwood; Lincoln v Accrington; Portsmouth v Posh. The only team higher in the League 1 table than us that isn't also playing a team higher in the table is Sunderland.

On the other side of the coin, one of each of Gas v Wimbledon; Northampton v MK; and Tranmere v Leicester u21s will be in the next round. That's 3 of the 7 teams you could be facing in the next round. 50:50 chance of getting one of those eminently winnable fixtures and suddenly you're in the semis.

The lack of youth tonight is a shame, but does mean that we have basically our first team squad playing a side from the division below (albeit one doing well there). It should be a win.

Are people really still boycotting this competition? Seems odd to me, it didn't work, the B teams are here to stay so surely there comes a time when you just accept it is what it is and support the club?

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I think the Trophy is perfect opportunity for League 1 teams especially, gives your second string a chance to get some game time, also allows you to blood some youngsters and gives you a very realistic opportunity to get to Wembley and win something. Not to mention earning a little bit of cash along the way.
I'm not sure if I'd say I'm boycotting. I just don't have any interest in it and haven't since B teams were introduced. The same will happen if we get B teams in the FA Cup and the leagues.

Unfortunately I'll just eventually drop off the scene if B teams proliferate through the system. Don't really care if that makes me some sort of lesser fan. For me it's the integrity of the competition that counts just as much as the teams actually competing in it.

Hasn’t Karl Robinson come out and said that Clare will be right back, Obita will be left and Long and Moore will be the two centre backs?

He said “Elliott and Longy will play, but every other player that steps on that pitch will be someone who hasn’t been playing... People will question me making a lot of changes, but it’ll be Simon Eastwood in goal, Jordan Obita at left back and Sean Clare (at right back). It’s not bad.”

So I’m not sure why people are quoting all these different teams (unless it’s just what they personally would like to see play). Unless Robinson was misleading on purpose or there’s been injuries surely the back five will be:

Eastwood
Clare Moore Long Obita​

As for the rest of the team, it’s hard to say but if it’s people who haven’t been playing then you’d assume that Sykes and Hall will be in the side.

Hanson, Kelly, Forde and Agyei have all been in and out in recent weeks.

Winnall and Brannigan should get at least some minutes each

But that’s 8 players for the remaining six starting spaces...

So I know that LCP, Lopes, Lofthouse, Napa & Spasov are all out for tonight because they're on loan (or injured)

But what's Nico Jones' status at the moment? He's not on loan is he? Injured? Otherwise, why wouldn't he be playing tonight (as he has done in previous rounds)?

Most excited to see Brannagan & Winnall tonight. Hope they both start......

Back
Top Bottom