Home Match Day Thread 16/02/2021 Papa John's Trophy SF - OUFC v Tranmere

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s on a half season loan to cover across the back line. He’s needed every game hence why he’s on the bench as that cover. His performance last night and against Wigan was worrying.
Bit harsh - he played 3minutes v Wigan.

I actually thought he looked quite tidy in the holding role in his 45mins v Wimbledon in the Trophy.

May have been mistaken but I’m pretty sure he hashed a clearance by completely missing it when the ball was bobbling around our box.

Blackburn have had a decent youth set up the last few years so he comes from a background so hopefully the first half last night was down to rustiness and nerves. He will certainly be needed so looking forward to much better moving forward.

Yep.. fair points and I do agree about the uniqueness of this season in terms of games coming thick and fast and having 5 subs each game. It is more than ever a squad game. I just got the feeling that we were at our best when the team was almost picking itself. That said, players can't last at that intensity twice a week.

There are examples where KR has used the 5 wisely to change our approach, but there's also a couple of examples of triple substitutions that have completely taken the wind out of our sails.

I guess all told, we are in a much stronger position to cope with playing twice a week and using 5 subs effectively, than we were about 3 weeks ago!
Very true - but I do feel like he has stopped doing that in recent games (although that's just a gut feeling - could be completely wrong, I haven't checked).

I think by the end of this season the games across Leagues One and Two are going to be pretty tough watches. With the reduced squads as it is, and COVID bubbles making bringing in youth players difficult, the fatigue of the players, playing 5 or 6 games a month, coupled with the existing lack of technical brilliance at this level is probably going to lead to some pretty uninspiring games of football. Promotion could come down to which teams have rotated well enough to still have the bursts of energy necessary when needed.

We’ve definitely got a strongest back 6:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin​

For the remaining five players, I would argue that the following names are our best and most talented players:

Brannigan
McGuane
Lee
Barker
Shodipo
Taylor

It’s just funding a formation for them, and decided who starts and who is the one to miss out.

I think Grayson should be cut some slack it was his first start plus he also had an under-performing often absent Ruffels alongside him leading to him having to pick up two players
He constantly missed headers though mainly because he couldn't time his jumping. Plus he kept hoofing the ball forward when a simple pass was on. KR was not happy with this.

Atkinson looked out of sorts at the beginning of the season when playing in an unsettled defence. Last night, Ruffels was as poor as he was back then and Hanson was all over the place positionally. So I wouldn't be too quick to write Grayson off just yet. Long is a calming influence at the back, and communicates well, and I think we missed him as much as anyone yesterday. Also, with Sykes and Henry being more flare players, Gorrin was over run in midfield which left him unable to give the cover he usually does at the back.

It was a bad day at the office all round and hopefully one we have got out of our system. But I wouldn't be looking to dump Grayson anymore than blaming Taylor for his misses or digging out anyone else. 20 odd games in the next 10 weeks will need everyone doing their bit.

I think Grayson should be cut some slack it was his first start plus he also had an under-performing often absent Ruffels alongside him leading to him having to pick up two players
He was on a booking too....wasnt he?

Yes he got booked early on.
As well as nerves n not used to playing competitively with his fellow defenders, the booking restricted his play ( as it did ...and does ...with Gorrin when he picks up an early yellow card)?

I think Tranmere deserve more credit than they seem to be getting, they came to win the game (90 minutes) pressed higher than other clubs have dome (first half) and actually played some nice football.
it was also noticeable in the warm up that they had smiles on their faces and were clearly ready to come and play and get the job done...it could be said we were slow getting going but that was down to the opposition also and fair play to them.

I think Tranmere deserve more credit than they seem to be getting, they came to win the game (90 minutes) pressed higher than other clubs have dome (first half) and actually played some nice football.
it was also noticeable in the warm up that they had smiles on their faces and were clearly ready to come and play and get the job done...it could be said we were slow getting going but that was down to the opposition also and fair play to them.
Keith Hill is a decent manager. I think he out thought KR last night. It took until half time for him to get us sorted out. If he really wanted to win the game I think he could have made at least one more change at half time. Its gone now though. We need to get back to winning ways quickly.

I hope we beat Ipswich. I hope their morale is down, All I have heard all day on the radio is Ipswich and that ref and how bad they are doing and the fire that those fans started with the flares... I hope they don't come out to prove a point.. let's hope they are all down in the dumps and play rubbish on sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom