Away Match Day Thread 10/11/2020 Papa Johns Trophy - Walsall v OUFC

To me the interesting thing was that Robinson played five at the back and used the fullbacks as wingbacks. Unlike his usual tactics of playing four at the back and still expecting the fullbacks to be wingbacks. The defense thus looked a lot tighter unlike league games when the wing backs bombing forward left huge gaps at the back.

It was a 4 (Long, Mous, Jones, Elechi)-2 (Henry, Kelly)-3 (Cooper, Hall, Obita)-1 (Winnall) formation or a 4-4-1-1 formation when Obita/Cooper dropped back.

Last edited:
To me the interesting thing was that Robinson played five at the back and used the fullbacks as wingbacks. Unlike his usual tactics of playing four at the back and still expecting the fullbacks to be wingbacks. The defense thus looked a lot tighter unlike league games when the wing backs bombing forward left huge gaps at the back.
You really watched the game and you think we played a back 5 ! Name it as it shows how diverse peoples perspective of a game can be

Most seasons, I generally want out of the tinpot trophy as soon as possible. No need to risk injury or suspension for a pointless competition.

But this year? With no other cup runs, games being called off at random for the pandemic, and no non elite football.....it's actually useful to have a few competitive but low pressure fixtures every now and then to get the squad players some game time, and give opportunities to youngsters like Elechi and Nico Jones.

Hopefully we go a couple more rounds at least......

Indeed.

So much so that I almost paid to watch the game last night. Almost.

You would think they would drop the price for the pizza cup like they do for it when you attend, £5 quid might tempt a few more to pay up.

Indeed.

Us foreigners get the Tinpot Trophy games thrown in as part of our annual subscription.

I think. To be honest, I didn't really feel justified in skivving off work to watch our second string play Walsall, so I don't know for sure.......

Indeed.

I paid for last night - mostly to see the new player and the younger lads get an outing, not really for the competition in which the game was being played.
Mind you, if they get a wiggle on with that vaccine, we might be able to go and watch us in the final at Wembley again.

Wembley ?. That will be a four team tournament then with Pompey v Mankies chuckouts not yet played

i also paid for last night and enjoyed seeing the younger lads play. It also breaks up the monotony of lockdown 2.

That said, for me I think this is definitely a competition where the club could be offering a ‘sweetener’ to us season ticket holders by offering a cheaper match day pass. It would be a small token of appreciation which would I’m sure, despite the competition, be well received by the fan base.

i also paid for last night and enjoyed seeing the younger lads play. It also breaks up the monotony of lockdown 2.

That said, for me I think this is definitely a competition where the club could be offering a ‘sweetener’ to us season ticket holders by offering a cheaper match day pass. It would be a small token of appreciation which would I’m sure, despite the competition, be well received by the fan base.

Are the iFollow pass sales shared for this competition or do both clubs just keep their own sales (less the fee to iFollow)?

It was a 4 (Long, Mous, Jones, Elechi)-2 (Henry, Kelly)-3 (Cooper, Hall, Obita)-1 (Winnall) formation or a 4-4-1-1 formation when Obita/Cooper dropped back.
I'm only going on what Robinson said in his interview. I suppose if that's wrong even he doesn't know what he was playing.

They don’t have the rights. The BBC and BT Sport have them. It was only down to the special circumstances this year that iFollow were allowed to cover the game at all.

Thanks, yes, I thought that might be the case. "It's a rights issue" is really annoying isn't it.

Did anyone else have very poor quality iFollow coverage of the Walsall game? Took 20 minutes to load, so I missed the first 15 minutes. Then frequent buffering and blurred picture through the rest of the game? All other websites operating just fine during this time.

Thanks, yes, I thought that might be the case. "It's a rights issue" is really annoying isn't it.

Did anyone else have very poor quality iFollow coverage of the Walsall game? Took 20 minutes to load, so I missed the first 15 minutes. Then frequent buffering and blurred picture through the rest of the game? All other websites operating just fine during this time.
Kept on buffering throughout so changed browser for the remainder of the game.

Back
Top Bottom