Away Match Day Thread 29/12/2020 L1 Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a scan of the Plymouth forums and some of their supporters think they were unlucky not to get a point! Tbf, the majority saw it as a fair result though. Plenty also want Ryan Lowe gone. Is there ever a period between sacking or giving a manager a new contract to tie them down on football forums?

Had a scan of the Plymouth forums and some of their supporters think they were unlucky not to get a point! Tbf, the majority saw it as a fair result though. Plenty also want Ryan Lowe gone. Is there ever a period between sacking or giving a manager a new contract to tie them down on football forums?
Scanned the same one and they are quite critical of some of there players, there was even one suggesting of Carey was in this player’s position....blimey they live in the past

Funny how people see things definitly. I thought shodipo was poor overall and agyei had a good game. Agyei used his strength well and won more than his fair share of headers allowing our midfield to push up. I thought he caused the plymouth defenders a lot of problems. Hanson had his best game for us as well i thought.
As you say, funny how we see things differently and I'm in agreement with you - I thought Agyei did well, no end product in terms of goals, but he seemingly did as Robinson had requested. Up to the penalty I was bemoaning Shodipo's attacking contribution (he worked much harder to get back than previously) - he didn't really beat a man and on one occasion when released in acres of space, just hit the ball too far in front of him. Great confidence on the penalty though!

Defensively, they reminded me of us a few weeks back - a shaky defence, a keeper not keen on coming off the line (I think the only time he left the six-yard box was to come up for the last corner!) and incredibly vulnerable on set-pieces. After the first 20 minutes, when we finally found a shape, they were knocking it about aimlessly at the back and then just biffing it forward. Credit to Robinson - he got it right this week as much as he got it wrong against Wimbledon after the opening 20!

Defensively, they reminded me of us a few weeks back - a shaky defence, a keeper not keen on coming off the line (I think the only time he left the six-yard box was to come up for the last corner!) and incredibly vulnerable on set-pieces. After the first 20 minutes, when we finally found a shape, they were knocking it about aimlessly at the back and then just biffing it forward. Credit to Robinson - he got it right this week as much as he got it wrong against Wimbledon after the opening 20!

Agreed. Similarly they were like watching us defending set pieces early in the season. They were poor and not very organised whereas we now look competent at worst. I don't know if Mous is sorting the defensive side of set pieces as well as attacking but he deserves a lot of credit for our improvement in attacking set pieces.

Great result!

After an awful start, that had me genuinely concerned we were destined for the drop into the abyss of league 2, it looks like the yellow submarine has finally started to stir and splutter into life!

I might be being a tad over optimistic here, and there's still a lot of work to do, especially in terms of consistency over 90mins, but who knows, if we have a productive January transfer window, and recruit correctly, then maybe we could gatecrash the top 6!

Bring on Burton!

COYY
# we all live in a yellow quarantine #

In terms of the flow of the game I thought it was almost an exact reversal of the Wimbledon game. The difference was we managed to get 2 goals during our early good spell, and of course had a keeper that played a blinder. It may have got overlooked and isn't included in the Youtube highlights, but Ruffels made a really important goal saving clearance at 1-0 - they got down our right and crossed to the back stick, under extreme pressure from their man Ruffels rose highest to head clear. If he is outjumped, it's 2-0. If he doesn't get enough on it, it's 2-0, because Camara had taken up a good position and was completely unmarked about 8 yards out ready to pounce on any knock down. And I think if it went 2-0 we almost certainly lose.

But from then on it was a really enjoyable game from our perspective. The aforementioned Ruffels had his best game of the season by far. I thought Long had a poor first 15 and last 5, but my god he turned into peak Cafu for that goal. If anyone wants to tell me he isn't good going forward I will fight you. I love that we seem to cause havoc on every attacking set piece, with either Moore or Atkinson winning virtually every header. Atkinson is so unlucky not to have a goal to his name, that's Wigan and Plymouth where he's had brilliant headers cleared off the line. McGuane after a slow start was absolutely superb. Comparing him with last season's young loanee that played in the midfield trio, Woodburn, I know which one I would rather have. I honestly think he just needs a goal and then we will see even more from him (even if his hilariously bad shot where he kicked it against his standing leg almost turned into the jammiest assist of all time!).

Last edited:
Just rewatched the game and, to a man, was really impressed with the effort and determination shown by the team last night. Do that for the rest of the season and we have a chance.

Reading this article actually collides with a thought I had the other day. Why we are playing 4-3-3 when the personnel looks more like a 4-2-3-1 sort of set up.

I’d love to see Brannagorrin play in the holding two with three fluid players in front of them with a bit more freedom to be creative and throw themselves forward

Reading this article actually collides with a thought I had the other day. Why we are playing 4-3-3 when the personnel looks more like a 4-2-3-1 sort of set up.

I’d love to see Brannagorrin play in the holding two with three fluid players in front of them with a bit more freedom to be creative and throw themselves forward

Iirc, Gorrin playing alongside another holding midfielder was far less effective last season.

I think that Brannagan should be played further forward. I think 2 midfielders in a more defensive role could clutter up the area that Gorrin tends to dominate. When Gorrin wins the second ball, he should be looking to feed Brannagan or Maguane and if Brannagan is stuck in that CDM area, it could hold our play up.

We tried playing two deep lying central midfielders last season and it didn’t work. Gorrin likes to be the only one sitting deep, almost dropping into a back three at times, this allows the fullbacks to get forwards and even the centrebacks at times (Atkinson mainly).

Also, given we only play one up front we need at least one of the two midfielders in front of Gorrin to push forwards and give more bodies in attack. Gorrin holding with McGuane and Brannigan in front of him is surely the way to go when all are fit? Could be unstoppable

I might be being a tad over optimistic here, and there's still a lot of work to do, especially in terms of consistency over 90mins, but who knows, if we have a productive January transfer window, and recruit correctly, then maybe we could gatecrash the top 6!

If we want to do that, we'll need to learn to beat someone good!

So far, Accrington are the only side we've beaten in the Top 13. But the Scum are the only side we haven't beaten below that.

I've never known an Oxford side be so predictable before. Usually even when we're mid table, we'll occasionally come up with a stunning performance out of nowhere to knock over one of the top sides but then fail to turn up against the dregs of the league.......

But it is only 7 points to sixth. That's nothing really with 27 games still to go.....

Waste of Cameron brannagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom