Away Match Day Thread 10/11/2020 Papa Johns Trophy - Walsall v OUFC

It’s almost as if Chris Williams is a little biased towards certain senior players... can’t think why!

From what I've seen and heard Henry needs a minute to gather his thoughts and see a psychiatrist about the missed chance in the play off and why Anthony Stewart keeps haunting his nightmares.

I reckon we shouldn't have played him yesterday and Saturday to give him a break so he can get back to his best. In the meantime, bring on Cooper

Leon looks like the real deal as does Obita. Hall sadly is no longer a top league 1 player- loads of scampering but just not the physicality necessary to make an impact. Kelly is generally tidy but not just a fringe squad player and not a first pick. Enjoyed the first half and despite my reservations Mous brought stability and the first clean sheet tonight was down to his calmness. Looking forward to the rest of the season with optimism.

Watched the game and, whilst it was not a classic, I think you can take a lot of positives. KR will also have learnt a lot about the fringe players and others will gain vital match fitness. As we haven’t got a game I’d like to see another Oufc v Headington friendly again on Sat.

Reflecting on the llast few games its now evident how much we are missing Brannagan with his steadying influence in midfield and runs forward. Kelly im afraid to say has not been able to replace him, wondering if this is maybe affecting Henry performance as well who has been well below par which could also have a bearing on the partnership with Taylor.

What I liked about the goal was the forward pass from Leon CP into Derick’s feet.

You could almost see Derick’s eyes light up as he ran on to the ball but he still had plenty to do
before he found the top corner.

DOY had one thought in his mind - I’m going for goal ! He finished with aplomb.

Kelly i think we have to persevere with, last night at times it was frustrating to watch, but having now looked at the highlights, there were some very good moments too.

Found this on their forum.

Their left-back is cack, set Scrimshaw on him.

And another of their forum.

We lose to that bunch of no-hopers and questions will rightly need to be asked

To me the interesting thing was that Robinson played five at the back and used the fullbacks as wingbacks. Unlike his usual tactics of playing four at the back and still expecting the fullbacks to be wingbacks. The defense thus looked a lot tighter unlike league games when the wing backs bombing forward left huge gaps at the back.

Most seasons, I generally want out of the tinpot trophy as soon as possible. No need to risk injury or suspension for a pointless competition.

But this year? With no other cup runs, games being called off at random for the pandemic, and no non elite football.....it's actually useful to have a few competitive but low pressure fixtures every now and then to get the squad players some game time, and give opportunities to youngsters like Elechi and Nico Jones.

Hopefully we go a couple more rounds at least......

Back
Top Bottom