World Cup Women’s world cup

A very scrappy game against a physical Nigeria, which frustrated England and led to the Lauren James red card. Although it was inexcusable, I just hope the press don't vilify her too much. The fact England went on to win means there's no need for toilet paper like The Sun to look for a scapegoat like they did with Beckham. I'm sure she'll learn from it, and will become a better player as result.

But the bottom line is that although Nigeria had the better chances, they never converted them to goals and that's what cost them. They bottled it, and England rode their luck. However, there is only so far 'luck' will take you, and they need to improve their performance if they wish to progress any further in the tournament.

The great thing about this tournament is that even at this late stage, I reckon there's seven teams that it would genuinely not be a surprise at this point if they won - Japan, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands, France, England & Australia.

Yes, some of those have looked consistently better than others (Japan probably best of all) - but it's still the most open World Cup I can remember.

England were pretty lackluster today, but they've now played seven hours of football at the tournament and conceded once.....from a somewhat unfortunate pen. Don't think they're playing well enough to blow anyone away, but they could conceivably Greece 2004 their way through the knockout stages......

The great thing about this tournament is that even at this late stage, I reckon there's seven teams that it would genuinely not be a surprise at this point if they won - Japan, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands, France, England & Australia.

Yes, some of those have looked consistently better than others (Japan probably best of all) - but it's still the most open World Cup I can remember.

England were pretty lackluster today, but they've now played seven hours of football at the tournament and conceded once.....from a somewhat unfortunate pen. Don't think they're playing well enough to blow anyone away, but they could conceivably Greece 2004 their way through the knockout stages......

Japan wouldn't have been a surprise anyway as they were one of the favourites.

I thought the last 3 were all great penalties - the first three (one English & two Nigerian) just showed how the pressure can affect you.
Interesting that Kelly’s penalty was hit harder than any premium league goal last season.

Kelly penalty was more most powerful than ANY top flight goal in 22-23

https://mol.im/a/12381049

Japan wouldn't have been a surprise anyway as they were one of the favourites.

Actually, pre-tournament they were somewhere between 28/1 and 33/1 and tenth favourite with the bookies.

It's only after people started watching them play that those odds have come in rapidly.

Next game is at 11:30 on Saturday morning. Can see us in the car park watching via tablet or, propping up the bar in F&B's!
By the way, can anybody figure out who the heck it is we will be playing? The BBC site is crap, makes no logical attempt to inform it's readers at all.

Next game is at 11:30 on Saturday morning. Can see us in the car park watching via tablet or, propping up the bar in F&B's!
By the way, can anybody figure out who the heck it is we will be playing? The BBC site is crap, makes no logical attempt to inform it's readers at all.

Winner of Colombia vs. Jamaica. So we'll be big favourites again.

6:30am start time here, which is positively social compared to some of the games (including last night's)!

Winner of Colombia vs. Jamaica. So we'll be big favourites again.

6:30am start time here, which is positively social compared to some of the games (including last night's)!
Must admit, watching a game of footy with a slice of toast and a coffee is a tad odd!

Must admit, watching a game of footy with a slice of toast and a coffee is a tad odd!
You guys don't know you're born! To me it doesn't feel like a proper world cup unless its 4 on a Tuesday morning in the middle of winter when England lose on penalties.

thinking aloud re Saturday's quaterfinals - Lionessess game is the later KO - will the home game V Carlisle sat have a later/ delayed Kick off time due to overlapping with the Lionessess WWC game I wonder ?

I doubt it , but you never know? - and it should've been announced by now if it ( delayed KO v Carlisle) was happening, shouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom