Sport Winter Cricket Thread

Well well.
The youngsters have really come to the party.
Pope, Sibley, Bess have all done very well and Crawley looks to have a future.
Stokes of course is world class.

South Africa are not a particularly good Test side but you can only beat what is in front of you.

One more Test in SA which we should win and then Sri Lanka away which again we should win to show real progress

2-1 up in the series, and an emphatic England test win too

Well well.
The youngsters have really come to the party.
Pope, Sibley, Bess have all done very well and Crawley looks to have a future.
Stokes of course is world class.

South Africa are not a particularly good Test side but you can only beat what is in front of you.

One more Test in SA which we should win and then Sri Lanka away which again we should win to show real progress
And dont forget Burns who top scored in the first test and is only sitting at home because of the stupidity of playing football in training!!
Very good win today. We have come back and dominated the last two. Pope was a revalation and good to see Wood back and bowling like he did a couple of years back. I dont want to see him just banging it in half way down most of the time, he's better than that. Plus on a turning wicket I've always said Root should bowl himself more, maybe he will now.
On to the next one!!

The bowling at the last 2 batters was pathetic and got the tap it deserved from them. I think even I would have fancied my chances.

They barely hit the stumps in that period.
Absolutely, the last hour we were exceptionally sloppy. Root keeping himself on cos he wanted a 5-fer was something a captain of an U13's team would do. Would a tailender rather face him, or Broad with nearly 500 test wickets and Wood who can bowl 90mph rockets? Then he made the change to bring Curran on?? Maharaj had one shot - a big hoick to mid-wicket, so you go to a left arm over putting on a length, the exact kind of angle that feeds his only shot?

This is of course all very minor and it was a fantastic innings victory with key performances from some of our young players. However there may come a time against a better side where not being that bit more clinical will cost us.

A better team would have been more clinical but they got there in the end I suppose.

But gosh are SA a poor team. All that Kolpak talent in County Cricket is doing them no favours

A better team would have been more clinical but they got there in the end I suppose.

But gosh are SA a poor team. All that Kolpak talent in County Cricket is doing them no favours
I should think there's a good chance the whole Kolpak system will be changed after Brexit. Expect a rush of deals to be done before end of January.

I should think there's a good chance the whole Kolpak system will be changed after Brexit. Expect a rush of deals to be done before end of January.
Philander is one. It sounds like the SA players are able to earn a lot more by playing county cricket, even without being a big test star. Smith, Boucher and co are going to have a heck of a job

Some on here I am sure follow the County game more than me.
I was listening to Michael Vaughan last night.
He was suggesting that Darren Lehmann had suggested that Tom Banton, the young player at Somerset was the best young player he has ever thrown down to.
Vaughan's view was that if Banton spurns the IPL and concentrates on 4 day cricket, he will get into the Test team leading to Pope move to No 3.
Has anybody seen Banton play?

He was suggesting that Darren Lehmann had suggested that Tom Banton, the young player at Somerset was the best young player he has ever thrown down to.
Vaughan's view was that if Banton spurns the IPL and concentrates on 4 day cricket, he will get into the Test team leading to Pope move to No 3.
Not yet, but if the oppertunity arises (when im in somerset) i'll maybe have a look at Banton in Taunton

The commentators in the Big Bash have been raving about him, in particular his intelligence when batting. As seems to be key to being an England batsman nowadays, he is a wicket-keeper as well.

I know that you aren't talking about one day cricket/T20, but we aren't half getting some depth in the batting with Banton, Livingstone etc behind the current players. The bowling isn't too shabby either.

I normally don’t mind Michael Vaughan, but Christ he was annoying last night. He’s becoming to cricket what Chris Sutton is to football.

Tuffers4Life.

A bit of rain today (not only England eh?), but a strong team and good start by England. Glad Archer wasn't risked unnecessarily - we need him for 5+ years not just now. Crawley is looking more comfortable out there and what a difference it makes to the lower order.

Decentish start from openers Crawley and Sibley.... 83-0 after 26 overs .... Crawley already on his half century

100 up ... no loss .... 30 overs bowled :sneaky:

best opening test partnership for 9 years or so

100 up ... no loss .... 30 overs bowled :sneaky:

best opening test partnership for 9 years or so
Ain't that an indictment of how poor our batting has been!

The TV comms are piling in on the SA bowling attack and selections. Not pretty listening for them...

Back
Top Bottom