Sport Winter Cricket Thread

6th overland not looking much like getting a wicket having won the toss.

39 for 2 so a good start for England but the pitch looks pretty flat...

Well that turned into another disaster then, bad call to put them in as was suggested at the time. Work cut out already to salvage the series.

Not a good start for Silverwood.
Stokes looks injured so maybe that's why there were 5 seamers picked.
It sounds like Root doesnt really trust Leach (he has talked about bringing Moeen back).
A poor decision to put them in.

If Stokes is only partially fit and unable to bowl, why play him? Crass stupidity and arrogance from us.

Needed to play a spinner. Good chance for Crawley and Pope to make an impression.

I am highly dubious of Root’s captaincy credentials. Give it to Denly or Broad IMO.

If Stokes is only partially fit and unable to bowl, why play him? Crass stupidity and arrogance from us.

Needed to play a spinner. Good chance for Crawley and Pope to make an impression.

I am highly dubious of Root’s captaincy credentials. Give it to Denly or Broad IMO.
agree , Root isnt all that as a Test captain

He’s also our most potent weapon with the bat. When will we learn that giving the best player the biggest role is counterproductive? Board or Denly are more measured, older and less inclined to make rash decisions.

An example of Root’s attitude is his bowling of Archer. WTF is going on?

Root will remain as captain unless there is a total disaster in Tests. Don't forget Silverwood is a Yorkie and has already talked about the next Ashes with Root as captain. I agree though that his batting has dipped and some of his captaincy is poor at times.
Woakes in particular had bad luck with two very marginal lbw reviews against Latham. Taylor was out plum lbw to Broad early in his innings but was given not out on review because two noises were picked up. The snicko didn't even sync with the ball passing the bat, it was his foot scraping the ground!!
David Lloyd was doing his nut at the decision.

What was Burns doing? In one day mode dropped twice and was very lucky to not be out.
Sibley struggling in Test cricket.
375 NZ
39 for 2 England
We need a couple of big partnerships.

What was Burns doing? In one day mode dropped twice and was very lucky to not be out.
Sibley struggling in Test cricket.
375 NZ
39 for 2 England
We need a couple of big partnerships.

Test cricket IS different to short over forms of the game....decent ODI and T20 players are not necessarily capable of making the step up to 'proper' cricket

and Root, for me , is not a test captain

come on England

Burns and Sibley need matches. Dropping either now would be a mistake. I’m very excited to see Zack Crawley play. My personal view, having watched him play for Kent (so yes, I’m biased) is that he could well go on to become a world class opener.

We have the talent, we need to play proper test cricket to unlock it.

It sounds as if Bairstow is likely to in for Crawley for the SA tour so Crawley has a great chance to prove himself (going in at No 6 on what has been to date a flat wicket)
Let's hope he scores some runs.

Whilst I don't disagree with your criticism of Root, and the lack of a spinner....

....the reason you pay Stokes even if he can't bowl, is that he's now arguably our best Test batsman!

He was the top run scorer in the first Test, and scored the most runs at the highest average of any England batsman in the Ashes.

When you're going into a Test with a batting lineup that includes one debutant (Crawley), one guy in his second Test (Burns), and three others that have only a handful of games (Denly, Burns, Pope) then you absolutely definitely need Stokes in there - even if he can can't be your all-rounder.

I see your point but...

He’s injured. Clearly injured. Quite apart from the risk of making it worse, what does playing an injured team member actually say to the rest of the squad? I love Stokes but he should not be playing in this test.

Whilst I don't disagree with your criticism of Root, and the lack of a spinner....

....the reason you pay Stokes even if he can't bowl, is that he's now arguably our best Test batsman!

He was the top run scorer in the first Test, and scored the most runs at the highest average of any England batsman in the Ashes.
Not only that, but he is now our highest ranked test batsman anyway.
https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/test/batting

As an aside, if ever there's been proof that cricket should do away with the frankly awful Kookaburra ball and all nations adopt the Dukes, has anyone seen the Aus v Pak series? Flat track bully Warner's test scores since returning from his ban now read:
2, 8, 3, 5, 61, 0, 0, 0, 5, 11, 154, 335*

Decent batting overnight, Burns continues to look to have the temperament for test match cricket and lovely to see Root get a ton. It makes a difference having at least one opener who can, errrr, open the batting. Makes the Roy experiment look even more stupid in the summer.

Stokes will arguably bowl less in the next few years as his body struggles with the workload, but the batting is just so calm and thoughtful that I doubt England will be adversely affected.

Decent batting overnight, Burns continues to look to have the temperament for test match cricket and lovely to see Root get a ton. It makes a difference having at least one opener who can, errrr, open the batting. Makes the Roy experiment look even more stupid in the summer.

Stokes will arguably bowl less in the next few years as his body struggles with the workload, but the batting is just so calm and thoughtful that I doubt England will be adversely affected.
definitely better batting, so far, in this test from England

Yes it's a shame they didn't pick Burns as Cook's partner three years ago when he was topping the batting averages. Instead they experimented and went back to Jennings three times!! And why didn't they pick him? Because he had an unorthodox stance/style!! He has always had the temperament for the longer game.
I can see Stokes becoming a batter who can bowl a bit.

Back
Top Bottom