Sport Winter Cricket Thread

What was the opposition strength though? We only lost 1 wicket in the day (plus 2 retired), which suggests either the bowling wasn't of the highest level, the pitch was a flat track, or it was exceptional batting. Will be interesting to see what our bowlers make of conditions.

Kiwis announced their squad today - it's pretty solid:

New Zealand Test squad to face England and Australia: Kane Williamson (capt), Todd Astle, Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Jeet Raval, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling.

An attack of Boult, Ferguson, Southee & Santner, with de Grandhomme backing them up, in New Zealand's typical seamer-friendly conditions is no joke.

If any of England's new top order batsmen can stand up to that and score big runs, they should be a fixture for a while.

(although I should note that England's seamers should in turn be licking their lips. Williamson is great, Taylor has been good but is old, and noone else scares you whatsoever)

Williamson has been injured recently, so may not be 100% fit. But it is a strong and as usual, a competitive team from NZ

Interesting that Root is going back to 4 and has agreed a 2 year plan with Chris Silverwood for the test team.

Some good knocks by Pope, Buttler and Denly ( Leach 4th top scorer as night watchman, I assume!)
It sounds like Silverwood is planning to have the players to score big first innings scores, which makes sense. Let's hope he can turn the Test teams inconsistent results round.

It seems so simple doesn't it? Bat time and score a lot of runs in the first innings, but when the coach isn't that engaged, you get what you saw under Bayliss.

NZ are second (?) In the Test rankings and have lost only one of their last 15 home Tests.
So it will be tough.
Curran ahead of Woakes looks decent decision, certainly looking at the future (Woakes has a very poor overseas record).

NZ are second (?) In the Test rankings and have lost only one of their last 15 home Tests.
So it will be tough.
Curran ahead of Woakes looks decent decision, certainly looking at the future (Woakes has a very poor overseas record).
I think Curran would have played more against the Aussies had Woakes not rolled Ireland over just before the Ashes. Good decision IMO, let's hope he proves it.

Curran looks like a player on the rise and seeing as it doesn't count to the test championship, a correct move. Sibley can't be any worse than anyone opening, can he? Be interesting to see the final team.

Interesting that England are still keen on having Moeen as part of the squad - I hope he comes back to the team, if he so desires after a well earned rest.

Curran looks like a player on the rise and seeing as it doesn't count to the test championship, a correct move. Sibley can't be any worse than anyone opening, can he? Be interesting to see the final team.

Interesting that England are still keen on having Moeen as part of the squad - I hope he comes back to the team, if he so desires after a well earned rest.
The team has been picked.
Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Curran, Archer, Leach, Broad.

Well Sibley creams his first ball in test cricket to the fence... Easy this test batting lark ? of course, Burns brings him back down to earth by trying to run him out next ball...

Great that it's on Sky and not BT!
It looks a lovely cricket ground being used for the first time.
Sibley is a big guy

Survived his first hour as an England test opener and have to say so far Sibley is like a right handed Cook - patient, watchful, and anything on his legs puts away for 4. If he can now do this for another 100 tests that'd be grand!

A decent performance from England, made the bowlers work hard and got a helping hand from Stokes on the run rate made the day end positively. Day one is good, but it's only day one

Theres a few OUFC supporters gone to NZ for the test match ... and they have an Oxford United (st Georges) flag on display

keep em peeled ;)

A decent performance from England, made the bowlers work hard and got a helping hand from Stokes on the run rate made the day end positively. Day one is good, but it's only day one
Pitch looks easy paced. Be interesting to see if Archer gets more out of it!

Nice to see England being patient and obdurate.
I'm still not 100% sold on Joe Denly as an answer to the #3 question, but it's been good to see some mental toughness from him over his last several innings. And 50s are great, but at some point he does need to go big.

Now - can they push up beyond 400.....unlike so many of their recent Test innings.

Back
Top Bottom