What Have You Been Watching Lately? (No Spoilers)

If you liked Rogue One, you might well like Andor - although it is much slower and talkier. It's essentially an intricate exploration of people starting an organized rebellion against a fascist dictatorship (as well as the people that both enable that dictatorship, and leave it open to being brought down). There's not a whole lot of aliens, space battles or the like - just morally ambiguous people doing mostly bad things to break free from oppression.

Also worth noting that Gilroy has structured it very deliberately as four sets of three episodes - each of which are being helmed by a different writer/director team, and are basically equivalent to a movie themselves.
In each block of three, the first one sets the scene, second one is character building and tension escalating, third is the more action-heavy pay-off.

I'm watching it weekly, because I'm a bit addicted now. But it might be more satisfying to watch in longer, ~2 hour, 3 episode chunks.
As something of an obsessive (not Star Wars), I think you might be understating your level of addition - see emails above. There is also a good chance that Tony Gilroy is right now applying for a restraining order.

As something of an obsessive (not Star Wars), I think you might be understating your level of addition - see emails above. There is also a good chance that Tony Gilroy is right now applying for a restraining order.

But, but, but.....I only want to give him a big hug as a thank you for saving Star Wars!

Anyone watching The Bear on Disney?

Really good.

All quiet on the Western Front on Netflix.

One of the best films I've seen in years. Absolute must watch.

Edit: oops,corrected. Thanks @Peterdev

Last edited:
I didn’t know you were that sentimental.
I agree it is a must see. There are not many films on that period

Last edited:
Anyone watching The Bear on Disney?

Really good.
Belatedly replying, but yes and I thought it was great.

Some fabulous acting and the first episode left me exhausted after watching it.

Also, 'State Of Happiness', the Norwegian drama on iPlayer - not a Scandi cop/noir series for a change but based around the late 60s Norwegian oil boom. Sounds unpromising but it's compulsive viewing, particularly the second series.

Belatedly replying, but yes and I thought it was great.

Some fabulous acting and the first episode left me exhausted after watching it.

Also, 'State Of Happiness', the Norwegian drama on iPlayer - not a Scandi cop/noir series for a change but based around the late 60s Norwegian oil boom. Sounds unpromising but it's compulsive viewing, particularly the second series.

Funnily enough, we finished The Bear last night - it gets better and better.

If you liked Rogue One, you might well like Andor - although it is much slower and talkier. It's essentially an intricate exploration of people starting an organized rebellion against a fascist dictatorship (as well as the people that both enable that dictatorship, and leave it open to being brought down). There's not a whole lot of aliens, space battles or the like - just morally ambiguous people doing mostly bad things to break free from oppression.

Also worth noting that Gilroy has structured it very deliberately as four sets of three episodes - each of which are being helmed by a different writer/director team, and are basically equivalent to a movie themselves.
In each block of three, the first one sets the scene, second one is character building and tension escalating, third is the more action-heavy pay-off.

I'm watching it weekly, because I'm a bit addicted now. But it might be more satisfying to watch in longer, ~2 hour, 3 episode chunks.
reckon when Ive watched the entire series I may well go for a second helping, in 3 episode chucks ..... watched episode 9 yesterday, IMO the final 'set up ' for a blistering three episode finale

Just finished watching the prequel to Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon (Season 1). Feels just like Game of Thrones, some very interesting characters. I'm very looking forward to the second season.

The latest season of the Handmaids Tale is very good also.

reckon when Ive watched the entire series I may well go for a second helping, in 3 episode chucks ..... watched episode 9 yesterday, IMO the final 'set up ' for a blistering three episode finale

Was a seriously frickin' dark hour of television - for any show, let alone Star Wars! Fascism, torture, forced labour, euthanasia.....this is not the usual kid-centric SW stuff......
Direction, acting and writing all sensational again (Andy Serkis typically brilliant.....almost as good as the Stellan Skarsgaard vs. Forest Whitaker scenery-chewing contest last week)

Suspect it's time for a prison break in Episode 10. But it's a further credit to the show that I've no idea what's going to happen after that. Obviously a few of the characters have plot armor because we've seen them in Rogue One, but I fear for everyone else!

The only problem - viewing figures for Andor are apparently nowhere near as high as the other Disney Star Wars series.
Probably doesn't matter for this show's future - it was only ever supposed to be two seasons long, and they've already started shooting the second one. But it isn't exactly going to financially incentivize Disney to make more of this type of slow, dark, adult-oriented SciFi. Even if they'll be loving the critical acclaim.

I watched a program on channel 4 Italia 90 when football changed forever I found it reasonably interesting obviously I wasn't born then so was interesting for me seeing how football was betrayed by the media and politicians in this country

Started watching The English on the Beeb this evening.

Western setting starting Emily Blunt - really good first episode.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom