What Have You Been Watching Lately? (No Spoilers)

Andor (star wars- rogue one prequel series) - Disney+ watched the first 3 episodes last wednesday, about to watch episode 4 (at some point today) .... decentish watch so far

Sandman- series Netflix .... adeptation of an adult comic story from 20+ years ago.... first episode or 2 a bit labourious after which got a lot better- finished watching episode 10 on tues eve

there is a stand-alone Sandman episode still for me to watch.... then its a wait for series 2 ( not announced as yet , but the end of episode 10 points in that direction unquestionably )
What’s Sandman about @Sarge?

What’s Sandman about @Sarge?
based on the comic series ...... theres a few trailers here .....

fantasy/ drama/horror

starring Tom Sturridge as lord Morheus/ Dream .... aka the Sandman

fantasy/ drama/horror

The Raven is hilarious :ROFLMAO:

Andor (star wars- rogue one prequel series) - Disney+ watched the first 3 episodes last wednesday, about to watch episode 4 (at some point today) .... decentish watch so far

So it might just be my taste, but through the first four episodes, I think that Andor is the best Star Wars show by an absolute mile.

The Mandalorian is pulpy fun (like watching the SciFi 'adventure of the week' serials from back when I was a kid), but Boba Fett and Obi Wan were ultimately deeply disappointing; Andor has so far been a genuinely intelligent SciFi show - treats its viewers like adults, doesn't spoon feed you everything with unnecessary exposition and cringy dialog, its characters live squarely in a moral grey area and the subject matter is pretty dark - essentially exploring the height of a fascist regime, and the first shoots of rebellion. Plus, Stellan Skarsgaard is awesome.
Yeah, it's slow but all the best TV shows are!

Shouldn't be too surprised because Tony Gilroy is the showrunner, and he wrote all the Bourne movies as well as being the guy that came in and saved Rogue One (still the only decent SW movie since 1983!). As long as they give him free reign, and don't do too much of the Disney interference (and so far it looks like that's the case) then it should come out OK!

[personally didn't love The Sandman, though. I'm OK with fantasy, but I kind of want to know what the rules are......watched the first five episodes, and it was just way too random for me!]

fantasy/ drama/horror

Have to have a look…..cheers @Sarge

So it might just be my taste, but through the first four episodes, I think that Andor is the best Star Wars show by an absolute mile.

The Mandalorian is pulpy fun (like watching the SciFi 'adventure of the week' serials from back when I was a kid), but Boba Fett and Obi Wan were ultimately deeply disappointing; Andor has so far been a genuinely intelligent SciFi show - treats its viewers like adults, doesn't spoon feed you everything with unnecessary exposition and cringy dialog, its characters live squarely in a moral grey area and the subject matter is pretty dark - essentially exploring the height of a fascist regime, and the first shoots of rebellion. Plus, Stellan Skarsgaard is awesome.
Yeah, it's slow but all the best TV shows are!

Shouldn't be too surprised because Tony Gilroy is the showrunner, and he wrote all the Bourne movies as well as being the guy that came in and saved Rogue One (still the only decent SW movie since 1983!). As long as they give him free reign, and don't do too much of the Disney interference (and so far it looks like that's the case) then it should come out OK!

[personally didn't love The Sandman, though. I'm OK with fantasy, but I kind of want to know what the rules are......watched the first five episodes, and it was just way too random for me!]
Sandman ( I found) begins to make sense around episode 6(ish) .... though I think it helps if you're familiar with the adult DC comic series - I wasnt, my other half is, she has the original adult comics

Agree re-Mandalorian 2 series (so far) having a (sci fi) adventure feel to most episodes

Bobba Fett - wasnt all that , bar the sort of two Mandalorian episodes

Obi Wan - was decent-ish/ watchable ( though dont know if it wouldve been if I dint like Star Wars) once it got going- definately more than a few good bits later on in the series

Ive not watched the Clone Wars & 'Rebels Star Wars cartoon series,- my youngest lad has- though Ahsoka is the Series Im most looking forward too ( based on the couple of cameos featuring her) -a grey jedi seems an interesting concept

Watched Andor ep 4 earlier - so far Andor is building up well (IMO)

Last edited:
Obi Wan - was decent-ish/ watchable ( though dont know if it wouldve been if I dint like Star Wars) once it got going- definately more than a few good bits later on in the series

Ive not watched the Clone Wars & 'Rebels Star Wars cartoon series,- my youngest lad has- though Ahsoka is the Series Im most looking forward too ( based on the couple of cameos featuring her) -a grey jedi seems an interesting concept

Watched Andor ep 4 earlier - so far Andor is building up well (IMO)

So, I thought Obi-Wan started well, but then fell off a cliff with bad writing, idiotic dialog and clumsy retconning. And, probably even less forgivable given its budget, at times it just looked cheap - particularly towards the end. The Vader scenes were fun, I guess, but we already had multiple movies of those - we didn't need any more!

Andor looks to be taking a much more mature, nuanced look at what is essentially the same era (massive overarching fascist bureaucracy; small pockets of resistance) from multiple perspectives (rebels working inside and outside the system, cogs in the fascist machine, and wannabes). And so far, it's had a lot more to offer. Genuinely looking forward to tuning in every Wednesday!

Because I'm a big Star Wars nerd, I've been trying to watch the Clone Wars, because so many fans have said it's great. And to be honest, I've found it really tough sledding, because whatever anyone might claim - it is a show aimed at kids. The dialog is simplistic, and the exposition is all pervasive. Every dot is joined up for you. There are a handful of good episodes, but most of it is filler........

Been watching Dahmer ( serial killer) series dramatisation ( netflix) - watched 5 episodes so far, its watchable, but so far , IMO, not much more than that ( so far)

Andor episode 6, which I watched earlier today, verdict- 'rather good'

Got to say I retired six months ago and there is enough on this forum to keep me entertained all day.

When the transfer window/ new owners/Robby out threads get too exhausting I can switch to these threads and be fully engaged

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen

Aftershock - Netflix - Everest/Nepal earthquake with some footage from the event............ scary the power of nature.

Andor episode 6, which I watched earlier today, verdict- 'rather good'

Watched it tonight.

Halfway through, Andor has been so much better than any of the other Star Wars shows, it's ridiculous. Vastly more intelligent and nuanced plotting and characterization, tense and taut direction, and some gorgeous cinematography. Actually gives me hope that Star Wars can be more than fan service mixed with cringy dialog. They should just let Tony Gilroy run everything Star Wars, because he also produced the only good movie since 1981 as well.

I actually think it may be the best space sci fi show period since the 'golden era' of the late 90s and early 00s? I can't think of anything better since ~2004......

Finished watching S2 of Ramy last night just as it's coming off of the Channel 4 VOD service.

Think as it's Hulu produced it should eventually find it's way onto Disney Plus soon.

It's really good, got Master Of None vibes about it, and it's a good window into Muslim American culture.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Watched it tonight.

Halfway through, Andor has been so much better than any of the other Star Wars shows, it's ridiculous. Vastly more intelligent and nuanced plotting and characterization, tense and taut direction, and some gorgeous cinematography. Actually gives me hope that Star Wars can be more than fan service mixed with cringy dialog. They should just let Tony Gilroy run everything Star Wars, because he also produced the only good movie since 1981 as well.

I actually think it may be the best space sci fi show period since the 'golden era' of the late 90s and early 00s? I can't think of anything better since ~2004......
Interesting. As not much of a sci-fi fan or star wars nerd, Rogue one is the only star wars thing I’ve really enjoyed since the original 3. Sounds like Andor may be worth a go.

Interesting. As not much of a sci-fi fan or star wars nerd, Rogue one is the only star wars thing I’ve really enjoyed since the original 3. Sounds like Andor may be worth a go.

If you liked Rogue One, you might well like Andor - although it is much slower and talkier. It's essentially an intricate exploration of people starting an organized rebellion against a fascist dictatorship (as well as the people that both enable that dictatorship, and leave it open to being brought down). There's not a whole lot of aliens, space battles or the like - just morally ambiguous people doing mostly bad things to break free from oppression.

Also worth noting that Gilroy has structured it very deliberately as four sets of three episodes - each of which are being helmed by a different writer/director team, and are basically equivalent to a movie themselves.
In each block of three, the first one sets the scene, second one is character building and tension escalating, third is the more action-heavy pay-off.

I'm watching it weekly, because I'm a bit addicted now. But it might be more satisfying to watch in longer, ~2 hour, 3 episode chunks.

Back
Top Bottom