Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think it's sensible to have an assembled squad prior to the season starting to provide time to gel, and avoid the usual poor start? We need 5/6 players as kr acknowledged, prioritising a LB and CB, before the season starts, absolutely. Half the back line has been sold, mous can't be match fit (how he's got a new contract, after talk previously talk of retirement) and the young lad needs bedding in slowly. There's light in numbers, and there's light in numbers
If the right players were available sooner, then absolutely. But transfer windows aren’t that straight forward, especially this one. We are just one part of the jigsaw. The selling clubs will have their own conditions of sale and timing is not up to us - they are in control as it’s their player we want. And if we moved on every time things hit a stumbling block we would end up with our 5th or 6th choice every time. The Euros had a big impact on the major leagues which ripples down because the clubs below feed off their scraps! All clubs need to know what they can get, before they know what they can let go of. And all that has been on hold until maybe the last 4 or 5 days. It’s frustrating, but are nowhere near desperation point. Take the angle that we are biding our time to get what we want.

So......it was in the bristol post but you didn't want to mention either the name or that fact because ????
Read the original article, when first published.
And have been back just now to see it’s since been amended.
Wouldn’t mention names. As I said speculation and not confirmed

I do realise I have harped on a bit on this subject, but I would have liked players through the door early on. We have quite obvious requirements in my opinion, and its not simply about attracting the best players. Its about attracting a specific kind of player to Oxford United to create a proper grown up promotion winning side who can mix it up when they need to.

We have done the hard bit - the technical side of our game is without question. My appreciation for the likes of Brannigan, Mcguane and Henry runs pretty deep, but these mentioned are not complimented by men who can physically manage the game against the big boys in order to keep us in possession in the right kinds of areas. Im talking the two attacking thirds, as I saw little wrong with our back line last season (strangely I thought our weakest link defensively was Ruffels and he's gone up a league!), only how easy it was to travel through our first 2 lines of defence. The likes of Atkinson and Moore were way more exposed than they should have been. They did really well in the circumstances.

Think back to the Appleton sides. They were balanced. Think Dunkley, McDonald, Nelson, Baldock, Lunny, Ledson, Maguire, Hylton. You weren't running past these players without serious resistance...not to mention the shithousery that came with it. They were also very brave and aggressive with the ball. The current side is way too passive, but better technically.

But theres hope - minimum we need a centre back, left back, defensive midfielder, 2 wide players and a target up front.

Seddon finishing isolation. So no reason why he wouldn’t sign contract and announced soon.
Then I’m predicting Whyte to sign and another player sold.

Last edited:
I do realise I have harped on a bit on this subject, but I would have liked players through the door early on. We have quite obvious requirements in my opinion, and its not simply about attracting the best players. Its about attracting a specific kind of player to Oxford United to create a proper grown up promotion winning side who can mix it up when they need to.

We have done the hard bit - the technical side of our game is without question. My appreciation for the likes of Brannigan, Mcguane and Henry runs pretty deep, but these mentioned are not complimented by men who can physically manage the game against the big boys in order to keep us in possession in the right kinds of areas. Im talking the two attacking thirds, as I saw little wrong with our back line last season (strangely I thought our weakest link defensively was Ruffels and he's gone up a league!), only how easy it was to travel through our first 2 lines of defence. The likes of Atkinson and Moore were way more exposed than they should have been. They did really well in the circumstances.

Think back to the Appleton sides. They were balanced. Think Dunkley, McDonald, Nelson, Baldock, Lunny, Ledson, Maguire, Hylton. You weren't running past these players without serious resistance...not to mention the shithousery that came with it. They were also very brave and aggressive with the ball. The current side is way too passive, but better technically.

But theres hope - minimum we need a centre back, left back, defensive midfielder, 2 wide players and a target up front.
Not happening. We’re nearly at the squad limit, we’ll get 3or 4 max. We can’t carry a squad of that size

Seddon finishing isolation. So no reason why he wouldn’t sign contract and announced tomorrow.
Then I’m predicting Whyte to sign and another player sold to potentially a Prem club.
The player going to a prem club Erion Zabeli in the youth team? Know there’s serious interest in him. Only other player that it could be is Jack Stevens in my opinion.

The player going to a prem club Erion Zabeli in the youth team? Know there’s serious interest in him. Only other player that it could be is Jack Stevens in my opinion.
God, I hope not.Selling our best assets is hardly a statement of intent.

Been through this before but no way do we need SIX players as a ‘minimum!’ What the hell is the maximum in that scenario? A new team of 11 players?!

Absolute minimum we need two players, a left back and a centre back.

Interesting for whom?

Welcome to this Forum.

Interesting I would expect to Forum members that have been following the transfer speculation regarding signing a LB. Jamie Robson has widely been tipped to sign for and it has been reported to be between us and Money bags Ipswich. Have they shifted their attention elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom