Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I could have mentioned those Man City superstars loans Ashley Smith-Brown and Buckley-Rickets!!

So have the likes of Lincoln and Fleetwood, who both conceded less goals than us, lost defender's?

Example, Lincoln's Lewis Montsma is 23, 40 apps last season scoring 6 goals.

Last edited:
But what I reply to this is that this is the model that's trying to get us to the Championship. It's a long-term goal, which means building things up over a number of seasons, not just going gung ho and shooting for the moon before you've built a rocket.

So if you don't think our model is working, what do you propose in its place? Because all you suggest is 'keeping our best players', which isn't a plan. So what would you do to ensure that we finish in the top two?
Keep the best players for at least 2 seasons so youve actually got a good chance of gaining promotion.
If you sell them make sure its for the highest price available, if clubs dont want to pay that dont let the players leave.
If we were a championship club wed be getting lots more money for these players.

What, you really believe we are equal to a club in the Premiership, about to start their opening game of the new season at home to Arsenal, in a brand new stadium?
That's pure fantasy, not even in the order of scotchy, and completely disrespectful to Brentford.
Read properly ffs

Jack Tucker, centre back at Gillingham is another that we're looking at.

Apparently had interest from Peterborough and Hull, but we have a very good link to his Unique Sports Management agency so maybe that will help.

I expect a lot of activity throughout league one this week with all the covid protocols completed last week, things will start ratcheting up. With the Atkinson money burning a hole in our pockets, I'd expect Jamie Robson to be a done deal and would hope that will be a big step closer to get the next centre back in.

Things have gone quiet with Nicky Cadden despite interest in January and talks at the end of the season. Nathan Holland was also in our thinking, but the PL clubs are not fully back with the Euros still going and could be a later deal if it happens.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Keep the best players for at least 2 seasons so youve actually got a good chance of gaining promotion.
If you sell them make sure its for the highest price available, if clubs dont want to pay that dont let the players leave.
If we were a championship club wed be getting lots more money for these players.
Right, here are our 'best players' that have departed in the last three years: Whyte, Baptiste, Fosu, Dickie, Obita, Ruffels and Atkinson. Whilst if we kept all of them, we'd have a good chance of promotion, we still had a good chance of promotion without them and pocketed the money. Not to forget that for pretty much all of these signings, we've signed replacements. Plus, if we didn't sell Dickie then it's likely that Atkinson wouldn't have developed as much as he has due to game time, so it's so easy to say 'keep everyone' without thinking that one player staying has a knock-on for other young developing players.

Also, what is the 'highest price available'? That's not tangible, and it could be what the club is already doing, but because of this forum continuously over-valuing players, what players are worth has become a little warped. Let's not forget, Championship clubs aren't shopping in League One to spend £3m+ on a player.

And 'if we were a Championship club'? I'll raise you a bigger 'what if'. What if we kept our 'best players', still missed out on promotion and lost them all to free transfers because we didn't sell when clubs were interested?

Last edited:
But what I reply to this is that this is the model that's trying to get us to the Championship. It's a long-term goal, which means building things up over a number of seasons, not just going gung ho and shooting for the moon before you've built a rocket.

So if you don't think our model is working, what do you propose in its place? Because all you suggest is 'keeping our best players', which isn't a plan. So what would you do to ensure that we finish in the top two?

Brilliant recent posts from Battman.

Loans are vital, they bring in players we simply wouldn't ever dream of being able to attract or have. It happens at every level, look at the Championship, they bring in quality loans from the Prem, that helps them compete too. We need a sprinkling of loans and we've done very well with them in recent seasons.

Look at McGuane, a loan from a Championship club, ex Arsenal and Barcelona, now signed up after the club invested in him. We have had Browne twice, Holland and a host of others.

The sale of Rob Atkinson will go or should go a long way to building the club further as they continue to push for the next level. I'd have sold Cameron if no one had wanted Rob. If it's true he wanted out, good riddance. He has had one season, he's not currently as good as Dickie and we've got similar money. It's great business.

It's great business if the club allow Karl some of the money. Central defenders are ten a penny at this level (it's goalscorers who make the difference down in L1 and L2 - we all know that) and if we can go and spend £200K-£400K on two or three lads, then that's serious building and re-investment and almost certainly, a stronger squad than last season. I've always liked Jordan Turnbull but I am sure, with the recent record of defenders we've attracted, I am sure we have something lined up.

If we somehow now are able to secure the signing of Gavin Whyte, then that would be a serious squad investment and pushes us much closer to the top of this division this season.

Jack Tucker, centre back at Gillingham is another that we're looking at.

Apparently had interest from Peterborough and Hull, but we have a very good link to his Unique Sports Management agency so maybe that will help.

I expect a lot of activity throughout league one this week with all the covid protocols completed last week, things will start ratcheting up. With the Atkinson money burning a hole in our pockets, I'd expect Jamie Robson to be a done deal and would hope that will be a big step closer to get the next centre back in.

Things have gone quiet with Nicky Cadden despite interest in January and talks at the end of the season. Nathan Holland was also in our thinking, but the PL clubs are not fully back with the Euros still going and could be a later deal if it happens.
Cadden would be for a fee then and not a free. Seems to have signed a new deal or something at FGR

Honestly it’s like a school playground on here some times. Well let me be the voice of reason ( There’s a bloody first).
chaps it doesn’t matter one bit if the player/s are loans or permanent as long as they want to be here and are good enough.

The problem we’ve had over the last couple of seasons, despite some very good individual signings is. Not having the squad completed and together early enough. Insufficient cover in some positions and signings that didn’t work out - for whatever reason.

Look at the problems we had at the back at the start of last season! Proper cover for Long, Atkinson and Ruffs and maybe we would have won automatic promotion?

Loans are essential to lower league clubs, we’ve generally used them well.
Marcus Mcquane wouldn’t now be here permanently, if not giving the chance to work together last season.
Without Middlesbrough’s late intervention, it looked as if Marcus Browne would have been here.
Blackpool used loans well with the likes of Ballard and Simms, may get Simms again.
That's not strictly true he is here because of his injury giving us that better chance.

Yes i'm old school where when you had a player on loan it was with view to sign permanently, we by everyone's admission are getting those who we can never afford or ever want to play for us so we are being used. having 5/6 players loaned each season with no likely signing means going through the whole process again as well as replacing those you sell so breaking up the squad every summer.

in the first few weeks of last season many were on KR'S back about poor start, i among others pointing out that we were unable to play a settled back 6 including Gorrin yet here were are already weaker than last season with that vital back 6 already broken up and many are ok with that because we banked a few quid in the name of our model.
Honestly it’s like a school playground on here some times. Well let me be the voice of reason ( There’s a bloody first).
chaps it doesn’t matter one bit if the player/s are loans or permanent as long as they want to be here and are good enough.

The problem we’ve had over the last couple of seasons, despite some very good individual signings is. Not having the squad completed and together early enough. Insufficient cover in some positions and signings that didn’t work out - for whatever reason.

Look at the problems we had at the back at the start of last season! Proper cover for Long, Atkinson and Ruffs and maybe we would have won automatic promotion?
But why don't we have the cover? because players are sold or let go and then we have to scrape around finding replacements.

Bristol City have got their man, we've let him go without a replacement, so they get on with their pre season whilst we get the fishing rods out again. Could we have agreed the deal but said he goes nowhere until we have a replacement in the building? Better not do things on our terms with a player under contract we might lose the ££££££.

so as above in bold only now we need 5 or 4 at a stretch

Last edited by a moderator:
We're not being used anymore than we're using the players that come in on loan. Everyone knows the deal. The players get experience and an opportunity to further their development. The parent club offset a little of their wage bill and get to see young prospects challenged in competitive football. And we get players that we could never afford, to improve the side, and hopefully attract them on permanent deals when their PL/Championship contracts end.

I'll forgive the loan system a lot as it directly lead to that moment when my phone buzzed at 6am with a picture of Roofe's 'A' hand gesture which was genuinely exciting and then to see it was permanent signing just amazing... but without him being on loan a) we most likely would of never signed him, b) if we would of signed him we would of been mostly underwhelmed rather than massively buzzing.

I'll forgive the loan system a lot as it directly lead to that moment when my phone buzzed at 6am with a picture of Roofe's 'A' hand gesture which was genuinely exciting and then to see it was permanent signing just amazing... but without him being on loan a) we most likely would of never signed him, b) if we would of signed him we would of been mostly underwhelmed rather than massively buzzing.
When the loan system is used well it is fantastic.
Think Roofe, Baldock Kenny, Browne.

We're not being used anymore than we're using the players that come in on loan. Everyone knows the deal. The players get experience and an opportunity to further their development. The parent club offset a little of their wage bill and get to see young prospects challenged in competitive football. And we get players that we could never afford, to improve the side, and hopefully attract them on permanent deals when their PL/Championship contracts end.
Repeat rinse repeat rinse

Has that shown signs of working? You among a few of us stand up for KR but how are we expected to hit the ground running and could we have a better chance with a constant back 5 / 6? players that worked well together in the main last season?

You know i know we all know that the flak will once again be aimed at our manager if we so much as drop a few points early doors.

We all know and understand how difficult it can be putting deals together yet we allow ourselves to be put in the same position each summer.

I ask again forget the play offs, when you're 15-20+ pts from the Autos do you address that or tick along on the same level replacing like for like which we've done in 2 out of 3 incomings to date when the noise from the club after Blackpool was the need to be stronger and better

Let me ask you this as someone who hears the odd thing or 2. As great as it was to see a talent like Brandon Barker in a yellow shirt was there or has there been any attempt either during discussions last season or since seasons end to bring him here? if not why not

But why don't we have the cover? because players are sold or let go and then we have to scrape around finding replacements.
Remind me, how many fullbacks have we sold in recent years? Conflating that issue with the perceived failure of our current model isn't correct in my opinion, that comes down to a flaw in recruitment for those particular positions.

Chasing Cadden for so long when it was clear he wasn't going to sign permanently, bringing in Clare despite him not playing at full back and signing Obita only for him to play left wing and leave (albeit for profit) three months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom