Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a mess of a post this is. One main point of loans is to be able to bring in young players from bigger clubs that you wouldn't have been able to sign permanently. Would we have been able to bring in McGuane last summer? No. Would we have been able to sign Roofe? No. Or Cadden, Browne, Holland, Martinez, Sinclair, Mowatt, Kane, Baldock or Kenny. Loans are an important part of a lower league club's arsenal, where you're essentially getting a player on a free for a season. To think that loans are essentially year-long trial periods for a permanent signing, then you've missed the point.

And every club in the EFL has to have some churn every season, so I'm really surprised you're going in for the club for having to replace our loan players and the players we've sold/released. We've been doing that every season since I can remember, where have you been all that time? (In case you don't believe me, here's what happened in 2009, where we released 8 and transfer listed 2: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oxford_utd/8022872.stm Next season we won promotion.)

As for the last paragraph, the whole point is to attract better players to sign knowing that we have a very good track record of developing young talents and not getting in their way. I don't know how many times I have to say it: If we didn't have this model, we wouldn't have signed the quality of players we have. Which means we wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the League One play-offs in the first place, so your whole schtick about the 'lottery of the play-offs' becomes a moot point if it's anchored to the failure of the club's model in your eyes.
Indeed. We’re not a massive club, we could easily be in the same boring position as Plymouth or MK Dons. You could say those two have more potential really, just they’ve not been as well run.

Regarding loan players
Blackpool had six who were regulars in their match day squad
Now some of them night stay but chances are most won’t, what you have to realise is that to stay in the Championship you need six or seven new recruits to keep you there.
If you don’t get it right you come straight back down.
Look at Wycombe and Rotherham plus Cov just did enough
My point is it doesn’t matter if you have loan players or your own players to get you up you need to get better players to stay up

What a mess of a post this is. One main point of loans is to be able to bring in young players from bigger clubs that you wouldn't have been able to sign permanently. Would we have been able to bring in McGuane last summer? No. Would we have been able to sign Roofe? No. Or Cadden, Browne, Holland, Martinez, Sinclair, Mowatt, Kane, Baldock or Kenny. Loans are an important part of a lower league club's arsenal, where you're essentially getting a player on a free for a season. To think that loans are essentially year-long trial periods for a permanent signing, then you've missed the point.

And every club in the EFL has to have some churn every season, so I'm really surprised you're going in for the club for having to replace our loan players and the players we've sold/released. We've been doing that every season since I can remember, where have you been all that time? (In case you don't believe me, here's what happened in 2009, where we released 8 and transfer listed 2: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oxford_utd/8022872.stm Next season we won promotion.)

As for the last paragraph, the whole point is to attract better players to sign knowing that we have a very good track record of developing young talents and not getting in their way. I don't know how many times I have to say it: If we didn't have this model, we wouldn't have signed the quality of players we have. Which means we wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the League One play-offs in the first place, so your whole schtick about the 'lottery of the play-offs' becomes a moot point if it's anchored to the failure of the club's model in your eyes.
I also don't know how many times i must voice my opinion, in real terms we have mainly been a long way off auto promotion places so i return to what i said previously.
If the aim is 6th and hope to get over the line then stop all the talk of the Championship because the Autos should be the target and put together a squad to have a realistic chance of achieving it. if we finish several points from top 2 last season with an acknowledged weaker squad then how can bringing in players of similar ability as last whilst selling RA allowing Josh to go make you stronger?
I keep saying it there are 11/12 sides all vying for the same thing, you need to be better than they are or rely on a great deal of luck, as for these prem wannabees they will never be with us long term because apparently when a championship club offers triple wages they ain't coming here.so all we are doing is developing players Largely to the benefit of their parent or next club whilst meanwhile some way off the Autos ourselves.

We were close to automatic promotion in 19-20.
that's why i said mainly and it's been acknowledged we were weaker last season

Let's be blunt here and i've said this before take away the Play offs and be 15 to 20+ pts from auto spot and you would see it as a poor season in real terms and address it accordingly not largely remain the same. what it does is cover the cracks bring a lazy approach where you can look to try put it right come January.

Surely the idea is to turn that level playing field into your advantage?

as regards the loan players if we didn't / don't want to keep them then what the fuc* are we bringing them here for

so having to find replacements for loans as well as having to sell a player is not breaking up the squad?

Then we are faced with chasing and playing the numbers game and some fans get on the managers back when we're not off to a storming start

if people believe that's a sensible way to try and reach the promised land then whilst respecting an opinion it's not one i subscribe to.

if hoping to hit 6th spot and dicing with the play offs of lottery is a strategy then it seriously needs looking at because as i said above we have to turn a perceived level field into our advantage and that means top 2

if people want our model then they also need to accept that the conveyor belt will not always keep churning them out and adjust their expectations accordingly.

if you keep telling players come and sign and we wont stand in your way when higher clubs come calling then what really is the point as the aim is meant to be you will be one of those higher clubs and despite what some say it's an approach that hinders your chances on field so let's all stop this talk of reaching the Championship as being a realistic aim because we are more likely to be an Oldham type than Forest Qpr West Brom's of this world.
You have to bring in loanees.
Hull and Lincoln and specifically Bkackpool used the loan system well.
You get a far better player which is critical (if you get it right)

Where has this idea we aim for 6th come from?! Have I missed something?

The fella wanted to leave and asked for Oxford to get the best deal possible because he wanted championship football . If they want to go then I’d rather have players that want to play for us than ones that don’t . Good luck to Atkinson I hope he has a good career but I don’t see what the club could have done about it . So let’s see if Robbo buys a replacement or puts his faith in McNally

What’s been more beneficial to our club in recent times, signing Rob Atkinson from non-league, Whyte, Fosu, Dickie, Johnson, Ledson, Lundstram on permanents, developing homegrown talent such as O’Dowda and Baptiste or loans such as Kelly, Grayson, Woodburn, Thorne, Garbutt, Kashi, Graham, Payne, Crowley etc?
Roofe was the exception; some of the others you referenced caused disruption to the squad when they were recalled early. Which is a concern in January when you want to push on.

Last edited:
The fella wanted to leave and asked for Oxford to get the best deal possible because he wanted championship football . If they want to go then I’d rather have players that want to play for us than ones that don’t . Good luck to Atkinson I hope he has a good career but I don’t see what the club could have done about it . So let’s see if Robbo buys a replacement or puts his faith in McNally
Question re that

Do these Prem loanees etc want to play for us in reality or are just using us to further their career? and before people reply it's what we do, it's not it's what we encourage to happen.

What’s been more beneficial to our club in recent times, signing Rob Atkinson from non-league, Whyte, Fosu, Dickie, Johnson, Ledson, Lundstram on permanents, developing homegrown talent such as O’Dowda and Baptiste or loans such as Kelly, Grayson, Woodburn, Thorne, Garbutt, Kashi, Graham etc?
Roofe was the exception; some of the others you referenced caused disruption to the squad when they were recalled early. Which is a concern in January when you want to push on.

Cherry picking!

I also don't know how many times i must voice my opinion, in real terms we have mainly been a long way off auto promotion places so i return to what i said previously.
If the aim is 6th and hope to get over the line then stop all the talk of the Championship because the Autos should be the target and put together a squad to have a realistic chance of achieving it. if we finish several points from top 2 last season with an acknowledged weaker squad then how can bringing in players of similar ability as last whilst selling RA allowing Josh to go make you stronger?
I keep saying it there are 11/12 sides all vying for the same thing, you need to be better than they are or rely on a great deal of luck, as for these prem wannabees they will never be with us long term because apparently when a championship club offers triple wages they ain't coming here.so all we are doing is developing players Largely to the benefit of their parent or next club whilst meanwhile some way off the Autos ourselves.
But what I reply to this is that this is the model that's trying to get us to the Championship. It's a long-term goal, which means building things up over a number of seasons, not just going gung ho and shooting for the moon before you've built a rocket.

So if you don't think our model is working, what do you propose in its place? Because all you suggest is 'keeping our best players', which isn't a plan. So what would you do to ensure that we finish in the top two?

Just balancing up Battman's post.
I only think you'd need balance if you believed my point to be that all loans were good, when I was simply rebutting the claim that all loans are pointless unless you want to sign that player permanently. I think a balance of loans and permanent signings is good, and we have a decent record of picking up on young temporary signings as well as permanent ones.

Last edited:
Question re that

Do these Prem loanees etc want to play for us in reality or are just using us to further their career? and before people reply it's what we do, it's not it's what we encourage to happen.

Well the best way to further there careers will be to play well, which we will benefit from. I can’t imagine any player signs on loan at a club and thinks opposite.

Some signings work out some don’t, obviously better to have our own players but ignoring the loan market while others don’t would be mental.

I only think you'd need balance if you believed my point to be that all loans were good, when I was simply rebutting the claim that all loans are pointless unless you want to sign that player permanently. I think a balance of loans and permanent signings is good, and we have a decent record of picking up on young temporary signings as well as permanent ones.
Loans are essential to lower league clubs, we’ve generally used them well.
Marcus Mcquane wouldn’t now be here permanently, if not giving the chance to work together last season.
Without Middlesbrough’s late intervention, it looked as if Marcus Browne would have been here.
Blackpool used loans well with the likes of Ballard and Simms, may get Simms again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom