Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it means you should be capable of fulfilling your duties to the best of your ability. Despite our lack of cover, as a professional footballer, playing every game of a league season, shouldn’t really be too much to ask? Maybe I’m being overly simplistic here, but that’s their job? Elliott Moore did it, and I bet you, if he was able to, Sam Long would have done the same! Every single one of us would give our left arm to play in a game like that so being tired, doesn’t really wash with me. No player should be knackered for a massive game like the play-offs!

The performance that Ruffels put in across both play-offs legs were similar to another 5 or 6 across the league season. Yes, fatigue is obviously a factor. Do I think that Ruffels played that badly because he was tired? Absolutely not. It’s something we’ve all seen before..
Sorry you don't make sense. Playing to the best of ones ability and being fatigued are two different things. Do i think that a professional footballer playing every game of the season will be more likely to be fatigued absolutely. Every sports scientist going would tell you that as well as the link with fatigue to injury and performance. It is why you rarely see it in modern football. I thought both our CBs looked tired. However, CBs are the lowest, apart from the keeper, octane position in the team and if any outfield position is more likely to get through a season playing every game it would be CBs.

It always amazes me when people bring up things like giving a left arm to be in their position or I've heard people state how much footballers earn as a reason why they shouldn't be tired. These things have nothing to do with physiology and how fatigued a human gets.

I for one don’t think KR is guilty of much other than not providing competition for JR’s position which might have ironed out the mistakes in the first place if he felt he wasn’t irreplaceable. That’s where it ends.

I personally agree fatigue plays a huge part in performance and there are some highly skilled, well paid employees in clubs world wide to track this and advise coaches on how to keep their key players available. I highly doubt KR ignored any advice given to him but even if he did - can you blame him bearing in mind we were in such a tight scrap for the pay offs. What would you do? Rotate, maybe drop points and miss out? We’d then have the people on here out for KR’s head for dropping JR for key games. Come on….

My caveat in the JR case would be fatigue is something that erodes performances over time and you see a trend. This was not the case with JR. He was playing well through the run-in but has always had that flawed performance in him. He was not fresh for 46 games and then all of a sudden too tired to put in a good performance vs Blackpool. That was not a tired player - that was just one of those nights for him that we have seen before at various stages of the season. I applaud him on his move to the Champ as I honestly believe this is his level - though I think a wing back role in a 5 is really what he needs to excel. Good luck to him.

Why all the negativity with Josh suddenly ! he has been a fantastic loyal servant for our football club so why not just allow him to move on with our blessing, whatever your thoughts on him as a player is there really any need to slate him.

Why all the negativity with Josh suddenly ! he has been a fantastic loyal servant for our football club so why not just allow him to move on with our blessing, whatever your thoughts on him as a player is there really any need to slate him.
Objective criticism isn’t slating him? No one is above critique.

This discussion about fatigue, etc is based on so many factors and not just how many games someone plays.

Sleep deprivation for example is huge, but nobody considers it unless they have been up all night while their partner has a baby.

Have you tried doing anything, mentally/physically demanding (and football is both), without a good nights sleep behind you?

Have you tried doing anything, mentally/physically demanding (and football is both), without a good nights sleep behind you?
Imagine playing as badly as Ruffels in the play offs, and then giving that excuse to someone like Roy Keane. I’m sorry but you’re playing in the play-off semi final for god sake! If you cannot do your job in the biggest game of the season because you’ve had a bad nights sleep, maybe you’re just not cut out for it? It all just just sounds so lightweight to me.

We’ve all had to do things in less than perfect circumstances, but you’re paid THOUSANDS a week to play football. Toughen up, buttercup!

Last edited:
Imagine playing as badly as Ruffels in the play offs, and then giving that excuse to someone like Roy Keane. I’m sorry but you’re playing in the play-off semi final for god sake! If you cannot do your job in the biggest game of the season because you’ve had a bad nights sleep, maybe you’re just not cut out for it? It all just just sounds so lightweight to me.

We’ve all had to do things in less than perfect circumstances, but you’re paid THOUSANDS a week to play football. Toughen up, buttercup!
Well you've taken that to the extreme to make a point haven't you 😂

Fatigue is a buildup of factors , not just a poor night's sleep. Recovery time is critical for athletes, exertion in games will disrupt sleep for the following night. But this should be monitored by the fitness team, and plans put into place (and I'm sure they are). The fact it's a massive game has little impact if you are fatigued already, and it's not a case of 'toughening up'.

Having said that, I'm not sure fatigue can be an excuse for knocking a ball sideways across your own 6 yard box...

Who’s paying? We can’t afford eleven superstars, we need to get the most out of a talented but flawed squad.
Its not about 11 superstars...and I'm not saying lets go and spend ludicrous amounts of money (realistically that won't be the case takeover or not), but a small uplift in the playing budget coupled with some shrewd business could see us find those strong athletic players that we so desperately need. We are being over run as soon as we face a decent side in this division.

It would be interesting to see how well and consistently you perform in your job. We should have a word with your boss

Well you've taken that to the extreme to make a point haven't you 😂

Fatigue is a buildup of factors , not just a poor night's sleep. Recovery time is critical for athletes, exertion in games will disrupt sleep for the following night. But this should be monitored by the fitness team, and plans put into place (and I'm sure they are). The fact it's a massive game has little impact if you are fatigued already, and it's not a case of 'toughening up'.

Having said that, I'm not sure fatigue can be an excuse for knocking a ball sideways across your own 6 yard box...
We’re not a Sunday league outfit though. We’re a highly functioning and effective football club and our players have the best staff, equipment and facilities available to them. I agree with what you’re saying, but can you really use that as an excuse for performing so badly? With everyhing that we have in place to mitigate fatigue and tiredness, that type of excuse doesn’t really wash with me.

If Josh Ruffels was at the peak of his physical existence, he would still have played that ball across our 6 yard box.

We’re not a Sunday league outfit though. We’re a highly functioning and effective football club and our players have the best staff, equipment and facilities available to them. I agree with what you’re saying, but can you really use that as an excuse for performing so badly? With everyhing that we have in place to mitigate fatigue and tiredness, that type of excuse doesn’t really wash with me.

If Josh Ruffels was at the peak of his physical existence, he would still have played that ball across our 6 yard box.
If fatigue was an issue, it's the fault of the backroom staff, not the player. And as I said, that error would still most likely have happened.

Ruffs had a pretty decent season, its unfortunate that when the big error came it was in a vital match, but that's football. I'd be happy enough if he ended up staying here and was first choice next season as over the whole year he has proved to be a very useful player.

Guess I'm more taking issue with you suggesting fatigue is something you can beat by 'Maning Up'. Oh, and putting any weight to anything said by Roy Keane...

So KR says we have a larger budget, then last season. No real surprise, but keep it to yourself, and bring in the right players, and the best we can get for each position required.

He goes on to say that, some clubs are offering 10k a week to players. I hope those clubs fail!
I assume it’s Ipswich, Sunderland and Charlton.

So KR says we have a larger budget, then last season. No real surprise, but keep it to yourself, and bring in the right players, and the best we can get for each position required.

He goes on to say that, some clubs are offering 10k a week to players. I hope those clubs fail!
I assume it’s Ipswich, Sunderland and Charlton.
Strikes me as a tad silly to advertise the fact that he has a bigger budget and 'some' clubs are willing to pay £10k a week and, to players in positions that we need to fill!

Strikes me as a tad silly to advertise the fact that he has a bigger budget and 'some' clubs are willing to pay £10k a week and, to players in positions that we need to fill!
Maybe he's giving his doubters an insight as to what we're up against

There was also a very valid point made that this season there are 11/12 teams vying for those top 6 places and then you have to allow for the less expected one's coming into the mix

it might just might help some fans realize they need to adjust their expectations for the season ahead although i doubt it as some will still be sharpening the knives and the sticks with which to beat the manager with

There was also a very valid point made that this season there are 11/12 teams vying for those top 6 places and then you have to allow for the less expected one's coming into the mix

it might just might help some fans realize they need to adjust their expectations for the season ahead although i doubt it as some will still be sharpening the knives and the sticks with which to beat the manager with
Robbo can talk as much as he likes and give valid reason about how many teams are fighting for the top 6 but if the team start this season like they have the past two under him then those people will also have very valid reasons to beat him with sticks my expectations for this coming season are i want another top 6 finish we’ve done it the past two seasons so shouldn’t be to difficult

But at least one of the teams coming down is shitty Wycombe

I'm glad things are as black and white in your world. Real life is just not like that.

If you think that outside factors, sleep is just one of them, play no part in football or any job, then you are massively deluded.

It's easy to talk tough.

By the way, Roy Keane is a scum bag. Suppose you think it's alright to ruin someone's career/life intentionally?

If your going to use someone, then please use somebody with a morale compass.

Robbo can talk as much as he likes and give valid reason about how many teams are fighting for the top 6 but if the team start this season like they have the past two under him then those people will also have very valid reasons to beat him with sticks my expectations for this coming season are i want another top 6 finish we’ve done it the past two seasons so shouldn’t be to difficult
Shouldn't be too difficult?? With a high mid table budget rather than a top six one, not owning our ground, and having lots of big teams competing with us - it's possible because we are a well run outfit with lots of good players but it will certainly be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom