Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
An intelligent and thought provoking post, Swaby39, but I must take issue with your comments about Alex Gorrin. I think he's exactly the player you describe us as needing. In fact, had he played in the two playoff legs, perhaps we wouldn't have conceded 6 goals?
Without doubt - we missed him or just a player of that type in general. Not sure I articulated my point especially well about him there but what I mean is it’s evident he has that capability but whether it’s him back at his best or someone else, we need somebody to really own that role going forward and hold it down to get the best from others. If a better options isn’t out there, I’d be rooting for him to come back in and do the job for us next year.

Not sure how fans think we need 5/6 players or 10 in 1 case and then expect business done early

if only it was that simple eh

Might also be worth keeping in mind that there are a number of bigger clubs whose name will attract players that we may be after
Like I said earlier, my comment about getting all our business done early was a bit tongue in cheek, I wouldn't expect it to be a walk in the park, and a quick job, especially if it was the 9 out 10 in scenario that I'd like to see!

It'll take as long as it takes, and as long as we get our recruitment right, that's fine by me

Jamille Matt is exactly the sort of player we need to give Taylor competition in the one up front role, he wins so many headers and holds the ball up and also puts a shift in.
But at 31 there is little to gain on someone that’s never really done it above league 2 we need to look at a younger option who fits our model.

But at 31 there is little to gain on someone that’s never really done it above league 2 we need to look at a younger option who fits our model.

Not every player we sign has to be a youth option that we can sell on for ££££s. He would be an option to have on the bench to change a game also he has never been tried at league 1 level as far as I'm aware.

Has our (new) board got the Wonga though? Are we being "conned" by noises from the club?

With Kyran Lofthouse gaining great experience this season surely he will be a right sided option as well . Think Forde is decent but don't see much point in him staying tbh

You make a good point.

Lots of our youth team were on the cusp of making it big not two years ago...surely Lofthouse, LCP, Elechi, Spasov and the Fabios should be getting to the point at which they are contenders for a spot in this squad...or out on their ears? Even Goodrham, however young he is may be expected to make more contributions to the first team next season?

I guess Nico Jones is probably a lost cause and the fact he has barely featured means he has probably found his level...terrible shame, he looked very decent, early doors.

Like I said earlier, my comment about getting all our business done early was a bit tongue in cheek, I wouldn't expect it to be a walk in the park, and a quick job, especially if it was the 9 out 10 in scenario that I'd like to see!

It'll take as long as it takes, and as long as we get our recruitment right, that's fine by me

I bet Gillingham get their business done early if Evans gets the go ahead by their board.

To state the obvious, doing good business is really tricky, and I for one am glad I'm not involved! Surely unless a club is foolish enough, or rich enough, to risk paying over the odds, the skill is to find players who are good value for us. The players who we want are also 'on the radar' of all our rivals - the data and the reports will be available to everyone, I would have thought. So the agent will be saying to suitors, 'My player wants £?k a week.' Where a player is under contract, the existing club will also be saying, 'We want £??k' A player is worth more to us if, for example, they fit a gap we really need filling, but which is perhaps not so important in general - say experienced left back if JR leaves.

Then the trick is to spot players who we think are generally valued lower than their value to us. The factors here would be things like 'unproven at this level', 'history of injury', 'dodgy attitude', 'goes absent in some games'. If KR and the team think they can work with the relevant factors, then the player is good value. I would imagine this explains why sometimes League 1 clubs sign 'crocks' [Ricky Holmes comes to mind], players with a questionable temperament [Leon Clarke, Nile Ranger] and ones who just aren't quite good enough.

I would imagine in the case of a player like Sam Winnall, there will be a thorough medical, and the staff will judge that there is a good chance that he can get fit and avoid significant further injury. But it's a judgement, and luck is involved.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, and I did say "preference" though not what I expect!

But with a big clear out, which is needed, we could bring in a number of players, for a number of positions..

But if we want success next season, we can't go into the new season, with players like Hanson, Hall, Winnall and an ageing, slightly crocked Mous in our squad
Blackpool signed/loaned ten players and their poor start reflected this.Some of these not completed until end of first window
But they did gel eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom