Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the trick is to spot players who we think are generally valued lower than their value to us. The factors here would be things like 'unproven at this level', 'history of injury', 'dodgy attitude', 'goes absent in some games'. If KR and the team think they can work with the relevant factors, then the player is good value. I would imagine this explains why sometimes League 1 clubs sign 'crocks' [Ricky Holmes comes to mind], players with a questionable temperament [Leon Clarke, Nile Ranger] and ones who just aren't quite good enough.

This was a good post.

Not only, but including, because it contains what I think is my all-time favourite understatement.

Then the trick is to spot players who we think are generally valued lower than their value to us. The factors here would be things like 'unproven at this level', 'history of injury', 'dodgy attitude', 'goes absent in some games'. If KR and the team think they can work with the relevant factors, then the player is good value. I would imagine this explains why sometimes League 1 clubs sign 'crocks' [Ricky Holmes comes to mind], players with a questionable temperament [Leon Clarke, Nile Ranger] and ones who just aren't quite good enough.

I would imagine in the case of a player like Sam Winnall, there will be a thorough medical, and the staff will judge that there is a good chance that he can get fit and avoid significant further injury. But it's a judgement, and luck is involved.
Good post.

But I would say that signing injured players can end up a bit 'all or nothing' and quite a high proportion of the time it ends up as 'nothing'! In the days of unlimited senior squads that might have been a gamble worth taking (if club finances allowed) - now you just make yourselves a hostage to fortune.

No chance there
Not saying there is, but I think thats the type of profile we should look at. That said, most teams are after a physical, mobile striker that also bags a few. The key point being, that we bring in players that compliment our style of play and have a genuine need for.

Physical mobile striker...doesn't that describe Agyei?

Not saying there is, but I think thats the type of profile we should look at. That said, most teams are after a physical, mobile striker that also bags a few. The key point being, that we bring in players that compliment our style of play and have a genuine need for.

Physical mobile striker...doesn't that describe Agyei?
Isn’t he more of a winger?! He’s not in the league of Simms, but then he’s an Everton player

Isn’t he more of a winger?! He’s not in the league of Simms, but then he’s an Everton player
I would argue that Agyei has more than shown he can play up top vs Portsmouth etc. Its a cyclical debate, but it could be we *think* we require something that already exists in the squad.

Personally, I think adding some power/pace/athleticism to the wide areas (both attacking and defensive) should be our priority assuming we go into next season with Taylor/Winnall/Agyei as striker options.

Last edited:
I would argue that Agyei has more than shown he can play up top vs Portsmouth etc. Its a cyclical debate, but it could be we *think* we require something that already exists in the squad
No, Shosho. We have to mould him into something else. We have to improve him.

This is about top class coaching, you uncultured swine.

I would argue that Agyei has more than shown he can play up top vs Portsmouth etc. Its a cyclical debate, but it could be we *think* we require something that already exists in the squad

I’d totally agree with this. Agyei is a great attempt at a physical mobile striker on a permanent deal. I can’t imagine there are many 19 year old units like Simms ready to go out on loan and bag 20 a season in the third tier. Fair play to Blackpool, I suspect their only chance to keep him on loan next year will be promotion.

What I would say though, is that while the quality of our loanees on the whole hasn’t been bad, others have certainly outperformed us in the loan market this season.

I’d totally agree with this. Agyei is a great attempt at a physical mobile striker on a permanent deal. I can’t imagine there are many 19 year old units like Simms ready to go out on loan and bag 20 a season in the third tier. Fair play to Blackpool, I suspect their only chance to keep him on loan next year will be promotion.

What I would say though, is that while the quality of our loanees on the whole hasn’t been bad, others have certainly outperformed us in the loan market this season.
This season has seen a change in quality of loans that have been dropping into the league.

To use arbitrary numbers in the league:
Shodipo - 11 goals, 2 assists
Lee - 6 goals, 2 assists
Barker - 3 goals, 4 assists

Around 25% of our goals have come from loanees, with an additional ~25% from Taylor.

I would think Lee is the most likely to return on a permanent. I think Barker will find his way into the Championship whilst Shodipo will play a role at QPR.

I very much hope we've seen the last of Barker, An heritage carrot of a player: ornamental, wilts on contact and less versatile than the real thing, a throwback to the 50's when wingers were meant to stand on the touchline and wait till the ball is punted at them. I can't figure out what championship team could use him, or for what.

Shodipo's got more about him. Don't really want Lee and Henry in the same team again. Perhaps we should get shot of the flat track bully & sign Lee?

I very much hope we've seen the last of Barker, An heritage carrot of a player: ornamental, wilts on contact and less versatile than the real thing, a throwback to the 50's when wingers were meant to stand on the touchline and wait till the ball is punted at them. I can't figure out what championship team could use him, or for what.

Shodipo's got more about him. Don't really want Lee and Henry in the same team again. Perhaps we should get shot of the flat track bully & sign Lee?
Depends what sort of form he's in next season really. Very good (though not the lofty heights of two seasons back) towards the end of the season, yet as much use as a fart in a spacesuit in the playoffs. Have said before that Lee signing would lack ambition, he is "fine" as a player but not up there with a 100% Henry.

Suspect we will see the following:

Lee - Permenant deal
Cadden - Free transfer

Barker - loaned to another club, higher level, or similar
Shodipo - QPR will give him a go, and will end up loaning him our again in January

Cadden by the way has a great left foot. Can deliver a great set piece as well as striking the call well. See the in below to his goal of the season for Greenock Morton.

Have said before that Lee signing would lack ambition, he is "fine" as a player but not up there with a 100% Henry.

But I would rather us sign Lee then keep Forde. We need more options and players fighting to start so only one of Lee or Henry will be on at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom