Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players Oxford United should sign over the summer transfer window
Elliott Lee and Barker please. I'd like to see an experienced left back coming in to replace Ruffels who's off to Forest I hear. Perhaps he can be part of a deal for McGuane?

I'd like to see an experienced centre back come in too, whilst Moore and Atkinson are OK our defensive record is only the 10th best in the league so should be improved.

Hopefully we'll have some cash to spend on a new striker, ideally one with a proven track records to provide competition to Taylor and Winnall. Perhaps Agyei will do that next season though.

There'll be the usual selection of wingers as well!

I'd like to see an experienced centre back come in too, whilst Moore and Atkinson are OK our defensive record is only the 10th best in the league so should be improved.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign defensive cover but Atkinson was named in a L1 team of the season and Moore has been some people’s player of the year - more than merely ‘OK’ I’d say! Defensive records are down to more than just the two centre backs.

Whatever league we are in, we have to get more pace and strength in the side. I’d definitely keep Clare in consequence.He’s clearly done well in midfield for Burton.

I’m not convinced as some that
Moore and Atkinson will be in great demand. We have looked porous at the back on several occasions. Notably Saturday.

Based on the season’s performances, the player most at risk of a decent bid is Stevens.

Reading the tea leaves, Ruffs is off. Can’t blame him it’s a short career and he’s improved enough to have a shot at the Championship.

Brannagan is a funny one. He’s not been at his best this season - for obvious reasons - and he’s not yet proven he can make it at a higher level. But the contract release clause figure isn’t extortionate.

If we don’t make Championship, which realistically is 10/1 shot, suggest Ruffs will go plus one of our talents for a fee.

Ruffels, Brannigan and Moore will go, first one for free and then we will get about £2 million for the other two combined which isn’t bad business considering the current climate.
I feel this might be a bit ambitious. Honestly, in this market, I think we'll be lucky to get £1m for CB given his contract situation, age and loss of form. And a centreback going for more than a million is unlikely given he's not been as obviously standout as Dickie was last season (TOTS, high-profile performances against the likes of Manchester City etc.). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Moore, but he doesn't have that obvious x-factor quality that will make Championship or Premier League sides splash the millions on him in the way that a Dickie or an Atkinson do. A bidding war could push each price up but I think £2m for the pair would be pretty good business.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t sign defensive cover but Atkinson was named in a L1 team of the season and Moore has been some people’s player of the year - more than merely ‘OK’ I’d say! Defensive records are down to more than just the two centre backs.
The full backs contribute to the defensive record too. One's about to leave for the Championship and the other may be player of the year. There are nine better defences in league one as it stands, our defence can and should be improved ideally with experienced defenders following a cash injection from the new owners.

‘OK’ 😅😅 Are you sure that’s all they are?

It's a worthy point for discussion. Both have looked excellent for much of the season and both are on most folk's POTY shortlist but somehow our defence has been a bit underpar this season.

It's a worthy point for discussion. Both have looked excellent for much of the season and both are on most folk's POTY shortlist but somehow our defence has been a bit underpar this season.
Thanks to KR, the defence with a shot Eastwood, attacking midfielder playing at right-back giving away a goal a game, nominal right-back playing at centre back, two centre backs injured and a left back woefully out of form was indeed under par...a long way under par in fact.

Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore, Ruffels on the other hand have been for the most part rock solid.

It really doesn’t take a genius to understand why. Long was out for weeks, which lead to Sean Clare having to play RB for longer than anyone would have liked. Atkinson was out for weeks, which lead to Long having to play CB. Josh Ruffels was out for weeks, which lead to whoever could play LB, playing LB. I’ve said this before and I will say it again: If we didn’t have the injuries we did at the start of the season, we would be MUCH higher than we are right now.

Thanks to KR, the defence with a shot Eastwood, attacking midfielder playing at right-back giving away a goal a game, nominal right-back playing at centre back, two centre backs injured and a left back woefully out of form was indeed under par...a long way under par in fact.

Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore, Ruffels on the other hand have been for the most part rock solid.
Ha ha, so the bad lineup was KRs fault, but the good one just appeared by magic? Similarly I expect our defeats were down to KR but the miraculous late wins were flukes or down to the players.

Ha ha, so the bad lineup was KRs fault, but the good one just appeared by magic? Similarly I expect our defeats were down to KR but the miraculous late wins were flukes or down to the players.
Not having extra CB cover resulting in Sam Long ending up in the centre of defence was the fault of KR.
Playing an attacking midfielder at RB for so long was the fault of KR.
Sticking with Eastwood so long was the fault of KR.

I fail to see how anyone could argue any differently.

Not having extra CB cover resulting in Sam Long ending up in the centre of defence was the fault of KR.

As much as I agree with what you’re saying, if a footballer is shite then that is down to them and their own individual decisions. The manager cannot be blamed for everything.

Generally after the first 15 games, the defence has been decent.
We seem to be leaking a few more goals at the moment but I wonder if that is in part due to the team having to go for wins and playing Brannagan instead of Gorrin at the base of the midfield?
Regardless Moore and Atkinson have been very good overall and will only improve.

As much as I agree with what you’re saying, if a footballer is shite then that is down to them and their own individual decisions. The manager cannot be blamed for everything.
I disagree. Sean Clare, maybe, he could have made better decisions. But Simon Eastwood was never going to go to KR and say "Gaffer, I think a spell on the sidelines would do me good." It's up to the manager to change things about in good time and to drop a player who isn't performing for his own good as much as anything.

And all the great things this season weren’t down to him? You lot are hilarious

I am not sure that it remotely that simple.
2 out of 3 CBs being injured and Long being 4th choice back up? Surely that is circumstances and not just 'fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom