Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Sean Clare, maybe, he could have made better decisions. But Simon Eastwood was never going to go to KR and say "Gaffer, I think a spell on the sidelines would do me good." It's up to the manager to change things about in good time and to drop a player who isn't performing for his own good as much as anything.
With regard to Stevens, the timing of him becoming number 1 may have been just right.
He is a young and inexperienced keeper and has done fantastically well.
Who knows what would have happened had he come in earlier?
Presumably if KR is at fault for all of the downsides in the first 15 games he has generally been incredible in the past 30 games when we have been the best side in L1?

Thanks to KR, the defence with a shot Eastwood, attacking midfielder playing at right-back giving away a goal a game, nominal right-back playing at centre back, two centre backs injured and a left back woefully out of form was indeed under par...a long way under par in fact.

Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore, Ruffels on the other hand have been for the most part rock solid.
I don't disagree with the general point, but since Long came back from injury and we've had a full strength back 5, we've still only kept one clean sheet in seven matches.

There does seem to be a weird disconnect between the vast majority of us, myself included, considering individual defenders to be our best performers this season, and those defenders as a unit not actually being that effective.

If we believed in having more than five defenders on the books at any one time, we could cope with one or two injuries without it putting 10+ games in the bin.
Yes that’s true of course. But we don’t know exactly why we didn’t sign certain players or that it was deliberate. There comes a point where you have to stop harping on about that and look at the season as a whole, which has had lots of great bits as well as bad.

Yes that’s true of course. But we don’t know exactly why we didn’t sign certain players or that it was deliberate. There comes a point where you have to stop harping on about that and look at the season as a whole, which has had lots of great bits as well as bad.
We barely have one player for each defensive position, which is not new to this season, which very openly handicaps us and stops us fulfilling our potential because a single injury can knock us for six, and I shouldn’t mention it. I was replying to somebody with a fair counter - I’m not going to stop doing that. It isn’t ‘harping on’ to respond to something. Metaphorically you’re basically saying that it’s okay for a defender to constantly make silly errors that give the opposition a clear run at goal, so long as they usually (but not always) make a saving tackle at the end, and it’s all very exciting. It’s fair to point that out when someone else says there’s nothing wrong with it.

We get the most simple stuff wrong which creates a handicap - we do the hard bits which makes it more frustrating. I would like that to not be the case because I want the team I’ve supported for 25+ years to succeed. I’m not going to apologise for that.

I wouldn't disagree for a moment that the season has had some good bits but, had the lack of defensive cover been addressed in a timely manner, there might have been even more 'good bits'
The fact is that, for whatever reasons, the recruitment, both pre and mid season neglected defence in favour of the search for wingers and strikers.
Now we are faced with Ruffs potentially leaving and bids coming in for others opening up yet more issues. Yes, the club is a selling club (which clubs are not?) so, why not act proactively instead of forcing square pegs into round holes?

Last edited:
It really doesn’t take a genius to understand why. Long was out for weeks, which lead to Sean Clare having to play RB for longer than anyone would have liked. Atkinson was out for weeks, which lead to Long having to play CB. Josh Ruffels was out for weeks, which lead to whoever could play LB, playing LB. I’ve said this before and I will say it again: If we didn’t have the injuries we did at the start of the season, we would be MUCH higher than we are right now.

Of course.

Since then though our defence has been about the 7th meanest in the league. In other words, perfectly capable without being outstanding.

We barely have one player for each defensive position, which is not new to this season, which very openly handicaps us and stops us fulfilling our potential because a single injury can knock us for six, and I shouldn’t mention it. I was replying to somebody with a fair counter - I’m not going to stop doing that. It isn’t ‘harping on’ to respond to something. Metaphorically you’re basically saying that it’s okay for a defender to constantly make silly errors that give the opposition a clear run at goal, so long as they usually (but not always) make a saving tackle at the end, and it’s all very exciting. It’s fair to point that out when someone else says there’s nothing wrong with it.

We get the most simple stuff wrong which creates a handicap - we do the hard bits which makes it more frustrating. I would like that to not be the case because I want the team I’ve supported for 25+ years to succeed. I’m not going to apologise for that.
I’m not disagreeing, we should certainly have signed more defenders and no one would disagree with that, probably not even Karl. But since then there has been a lot of really creditable stuff. We could easily have ended up like Plymouth, a skilful side fannying around in mid table.

I’m not disagreeing, we should certainly have signed more defenders and no one would disagree with that, probably not even Karl. But since then there has been a lot of really creditable stuff. We could easily have ended up like Plymouth, a skilful side fannying around in mid table.
And we could’ve had just one point more, which would’ve put the playoffs in our own hands without needing someone else to let us in, or maybe even 3/4 points more that would’ve already had us basically home and hosed, by doing something as simple has having more than one player for each position at the back. Which is something we also refused to do for a lot of last season, too, so it isn’t a mistake and it wasn’t unavoidable. We aren’t talking about a shot that hit the post instead of going in, or a freak slip that cost a goal. That would be back luck.

That was my entire point. Someone tried to make out that it was completely unavoidable, and I pointed out that it wasn’t. Same as if someone pointed at the grass and said it was purple - I’m definitely not going to nod enthusiastically and carry on whistling without saying it’s green. I want my club to give itself the best possible chance to ensure it is successful, rather than constantly be trying to pull off miracles to give itself a shot, because of really basic stuff when we do nearly everything else so well.

To quote Big Karl: I care. Sorry.

And we could’ve had just one point more, which would’ve put the playoffs in our own hands without needing someone else to let us in, or maybe even 3/4 points more that would’ve already had us basically home and hosed, by doing something as simple has having more than one player for each position at the back. Which is something we also refused to do for a lot of last season, too, so it isn’t a mistake and it wasn’t unavoidable. We aren’t talking about a shot that hit the post instead of going in, or a freak slip that cost a goal. That would be back luck.

That was my entire point. Someone tried to make out that it was completely unavoidable, and I pointed out that it wasn’t. Same as if someone pointed at the grass and said it was purple - I’m definitely not going to nod enthusiastically and carry on whistling without saying it’s green. I want my club to give itself the best possible chance to ensure it is successful, rather than constantly be trying to pull off miracles to give itself a shot, because of really basic stuff when we do nearly everything else so well.

I don't think there can be a single OUFC supporter who doesn't think it would have been better to bring a defensive body in at the expense of Rob Hall.

Away from that you'd have been sacrificing an attacker or midfielder and who knows what bearing that may have had?

It was a gamble which didn't come off.

(For the record I was one of those saying we were light defensively before the season started!)

I don't disagree with the general point, but since Long came back from injury and we've had a full strength back 5, we've still only kept one clean sheet in seven matches.

There does seem to be a weird disconnect between the vast majority of us, myself included, considering individual defenders to be our best performers this season, and those defenders as a unit not actually being that effective.
Letting in quite a lot of goals has been down to not having enough backups in defence, as has been said, and losing the midfield in several games, leaving us too exposed.

We agree. We just emphasise things a bit differently. My view is a bit skewed cos I didn’t start watching online till a few games in - I just didn’t fancy it, but then got hooked. We’re certainly going to have to up our game in recruiting defenders if Josh goes.

I don't think there can be a single OUFC supporter who doesn't think it would have been better to bring a defensive body in at the expense of Rob Hall.

Away from that you'd have been sacrificing an attacker or midfielder and who knows what bearing that may have had?

It was a gamble which didn't come off.

(For the record I was one of those saying we were light defensively before the season started!)
I just found one. Our defensive issues were unavoidable and it’s all down to purely bad luck, apparently, and isn’t anything to do with management decisions. That’s why I replied to begin with. It’s the second season in a row that we’ve decided to go this way. We had six defenders for the first half of last season (which was still pretty bare) and only five after Cadden went, which became four once Mousinho did his knee just before covid hit. People often talk about what would’ve happened if the season hadn’t stopped, and how we surely would’ve been runaway automatic contenders, but they never mention that we would’ve had to play the next two months with absolutely zero defensive cover. As it was, we got three months off and then only had to navigate three games. It’s why seeing the same thing happen again this season has been annoying. It wasn’t a one off.

Anyway, it is what it is. I don’t personally believe that people would be so forgiving if we repeatedly went through whole seasons with one striker, or one left winger, with no cover. I think they would be much more vocal and willing to admit that it was silly, not claiming that it was bad luck. Which again, is what triggered my response.

We move, as the kids say.

I don't think anyone's saying this. I think we were all agreed before the season started that we were putting a lot of store in Ruffels' capacity not to get injured. But I don't think our lack of cover was as woefully negligent as you're making out. Remember, the squad size limit being introduced before the season began meant that gambles had to be made and priorities had to be established. At CB, we had Moore, Atkinson and Mous (who had just come off a season being our starting CB alongside Dickie, so hardly the glorified coach he is now considered to be), with Long as cover. Hell even Nico Jones was considered a possibility if worst came to worst. If we'd got in another CB, we'd all probably have been questioning whether that squad space couldn't have been better used for another attacking option. Similarly, at RB, we had Clare who was being brought in as the attacking prospect, with Long in behind if needed (as it's proved), and at least another couple of players who could fill in if necessary (Forde and Hanson). Again, getting in another specialty RB would probably have been seen as overkill. LB was always the position we were lacking, and we all said this from the start (though I suppose Obita was brought in to fill that gap). I agree with the above poster that it's difficult to make an argument, given the squad cap, for Hall getting a place over a dependable backup LB, or utility defensive cover. But it can also be true that we were dealt a very unlucky hand in the first few weeks.

It really doesn’t take a genius to understand why. Long was out for weeks, which lead to Sean Clare having to play RB for longer than anyone would have liked. Atkinson was out for weeks, which lead to Long having to play CB. Josh Ruffels was out for weeks, which lead to whoever could play LB, playing LB. I’ve said this before and I will say it again: If we didn’t have the injuries we did at the start of the season, we would be MUCH higher than we are right now.
Of if we had adequate cover for what was essentially just three injuries.

If you take the PPG table, we finished last year on 78/79 points. We then lost Dickie, Browne and Holland, having already lost Fosu, Baptiste and Cadden in the January. Atkinson and McGuane took time to step up, the former due to injury, Barker/Shodipo have done ok, but the net result is that we’ll end up a couple of wins worse off than last season. Squad depth hasn’t been great either year.

If as seems likely, we sell an asset (Brannagan or a centre back), lose Barker and Ruffels. I’d say that’s nowhere near as bad as the hits we’ve taken in previous windows - Browne/Dickie, Fosu/Baptiste/Cadden, Whyte/Nelson... I’d be happy that’d leave us in a strong position to build a squad capable of a couple more wins.

I honestly think fatigue must be setting in a bit with our defence, particularly with our two CBs. Out of all the outfield players Atkinson and Moore must have played the most over the last few months. They have not been out injured and have played nearly every minute in recent months. I'm sure that impacts defensive performance on the pitch.

Tshimanga has scored a hattrick for Boreham Wood today, will take his tally to 18 league goals this season.

Wonder if we are still interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom