Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - that is a reach!! How can you just scale down the price of an elite level international footballer playing in a key position (forwards always go for more, rightly or wrongly) in the champions league and say, ‘if he’s worth that, a centre half in league one must be worth this’… it’s absolute nonsense and those figures are unicorn numbers - there’s no perspective to that whatsoever. Apart from that, of the teams shopping in league one, how many have £5m to risk on a centre back after one decent season where he will still be viewed as a diamond in the rough - he needs work. They could take an educated punt on someone abroad for a fifth of that. You’re better off looking at like-for-like deals to actually take place and my info might be dated but I think Leon Barnett remains the most expensive defender to be sold out of L1 at £2.5m + add-ons amounting to a further £1m of which only half was fulfilled? Anything remotely close is exceptional from the club.

2/3 year contracts are the norm in the lower leagues. You only tend to see longer contracts at the top level when clubs commit a huge % of their resources getting them in so they want more commitment from the player. But we are getting players for smaller fees and in almost all cases they are a risk - if they don’t work out like RA and we’re committed to him for 5 years, what then? If he had flopped and hardly played a game, the same people saying get £5m now are the same people who would moan at the club for committing to a rookie for 3 years, so they can’t win, can they?
That’s not at all the point I was making. Someone compared us to Dortmund, saying that they probably wish they didn’t lose their best players, just like we do - implying it’s inevitable. My point was they got ridiculous, silly money for Dembele (a point made by many people both at the time and especially now that Barcelona look to be getting rid of him for a fraction of that) and so, their fans didn’t mind as much. The numbers I quoted weren’t supposed to be exact or specific, just examples of how our fans also wouldn’t care as much if we got a fee which was universally agreed to be as insanely good for Rob Atkinson as Dembele’s was (and continues to be)

Right now our midfield options are pretty decent, with Gorrin, Hanson and CamBran able to take that CDM role, and McGuane, Sykes, Henry, Clare and CamBran able to play in the CM role, but we've got a lot of tricky, creative types, and very few midfield enforcer types. I reckon it's a case of waiting to see if the right kind of midfielder becomes available at the right price with the priority being fairly low, rather than waiting and seeing on whether one player is up to it.
I think we still need a strong powerful midfielder something along the lines which Blackpool had .

That’s not at all the point I was making. Someone compared us to Dortmund, saying that they probably wish they didn’t lose their best players, just like we do - implying it’s inevitable. My point was they got ridiculous, silly money for Dembele (a point made by many people both at the time and especially now that Barcelona look to be getting rid of him for a fraction of that) and so, their fans didn’t mind as much. The numbers I quoted weren’t supposed to be exact or specific, just examples of how our fans also wouldn’t care as much if we got a fee which was universally agreed to be as insanely good for Rob Atkinson as Dembele’s was (and continues to be)
OK - take the point, but the value of the sale is not all about the selling club - it is just as much about the buying club.

I.e. Say I have a teapot to sell and I have interest from a neighbour and Richard Branson. I'd let it go for a fiver but I'd probably pitch it at a tenner for Richard knowing full well he has the resources to pay slightly over the odds if he really wants my teapot enough!

Goodness.
Atkinson looks like going for the fourth highest price for a L1 CB ever.
How on earth can this be undervaluing him (especially on your assertion that he will never be as good as Dickie or Nelson).
It makes no sense at all.
I'd say it actually highlights our own failings in getting what our players are worth!

We couldn't stop Nelson leaving for free, which was our mistake, for not renewing his contract sooner, with a reasonable buyout clause in it that suited both the club and player. Maybe we tried to do exactly that, but Nelson wouldn't agree to it? I don't know. Either way, it was a situation that we allowed to get out of our control, and he left for free.

And we should've done the same for Dickie, again, maybe we tried, but he said no, but we should of at least recognised his obvious value, and pushed for more from QPR.

Atkinson, in my opinion, will never be as good an all round player as Dickie, and maybe not even Nelson, but in todays market, we should still be getting more than £1.6m with "add ons"

Add ons are all well and good, depending on what they are, and how realistic they are.

Also, all the talk of sell on fees is all well and good, but we will no doubt have to pay Eastleigh their pound of flesh, and also Reading, when we sold Dickie.

I'm annoyed at what I feel is us being soft touches once again, and not getting more for one of our most valuable assets, but if I'm honest, I'm more concerned about the sell on fee clause in the sale of Dickie, as he'll be the one who goes further and claims a bigger fee when he inevitably leaves QPR for the premiership.

Right now our midfield options are pretty decent, with Gorrin, Hanson and CamBran able to take that CDM role, and McGuane, Sykes, Henry, Clare and CamBran able to play in the CM role, but we've got a lot of tricky, creative types, and very few midfield enforcer types. I reckon it's a case of waiting to see if the right kind of midfielder becomes available at the right price with the priority being fairly low, rather than waiting and seeing on whether one player is up to it.

I think Clare was the enforcer type for Burton.

I think Clare was the enforcer type for Burton.
Interesting. I didn't follow him much tbh I didn't think he'd be back, I assumed with his pace he was more of an attacker in the midfield. He could be the link we need in that case.

Interesting. I didn't follow him much tbh I didn't think he'd be back, I assumed with his pace he was more of an attacker in the midfield. He could be the link we need in that case.

It was the impression I got from the comments from Burton fans I've seen so could be wrong.

I'd say it actually highlights our own failings in getting what our players are worth!

We couldn't stop Nelson leaving for free, which was our mistake, for not renewing his contract sooner, with a reasonable buyout clause in it that suited both the club and player. Maybe we tried to do exactly that, but Nelson wouldn't agree to it? I don't know. Either way, it was a situation that we allowed to get out of our control, and he left for free.

And we should've done the same for Dickie, again, maybe we tried, but he said no, but we should of at least recognised his obvious value, and pushed for more from QPR.

Atkinson, in my opinion, will never be as good an all round player as Dickie, and maybe not even Nelson, but in todays market, we should still be getting more than £1.6m with "add ons"

Add ons are all well and good, depending on what they are, and how realistic they are.

Also, all the talk of sell on fees is all well and good, but we will no doubt have to pay Eastleigh their pound of flesh, and also Reading, when we sold Dickie.

I'm annoyed at what I feel is us being soft touches once again, and not getting more for one of our most valuable assets, but if I'm honest, I'm more concerned about the sell on fee clause in the sale of Dickie, as he'll be the one who goes further and claims a bigger fee when he inevitably leaves QPR for the premiership.
Out of interest - what fee do you think we SHOULD be getting for Atkinson? Fourth highest CB sale from L1 ever seems reasonable to me given experience and the fact that, as you said, he's not as good as Dickie. Genuinely interested where you'd put his value at as the only CBs to have sold for more are Harry Maguire, Ezri Konsa and Matt Clarke, all three of which are in the Premier League with 2 being regular starters.

As for Dickie, I am pretty sure we have a sell on clause with him? I believe 20% is what I heard in the past? Unsure if that's on total fee or on profit made. Hopefully someone can confirm/correct me on that one.

An interesting opinion,mine is he already is as good as both and "Will" prove to be better all things being equal.

Any league one teams that don’t have a player to sell this summer for 1m+ are gonna face a tough year and probably a reduced quality squad given the huge financial hole they will have. We are lucky we have valuable assets

An interesting opinion,mine is he already is as good as both and "Will" prove to be better all things being equal.
Ok, he could eclipse Nelson, but no way Dickie.

In my opinion, if Dickie gets his chance in the premiership, he’ll go on to play for England

Forde signed a new 1 year deal
Good news, honestly think he's a better player than many people give him credit for. Best player on the pitch at start of last season (faint praise!), covers a multitude of positions well (if not massively inspiring) and is probably the best set piece taker at the club. Important squad player!

Pretty sure Forde’s xA per 90 was highest of anyone in our squad, meaning he was creating the best chances regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom