Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd imagine at least one of the LWs and the RB and LB cover, and maybe the CM, could, and probably will, be loans. We need at least one permanent LB in the building though, and a left-sided replacement for Atkinson.

I know 'Robbo loves wingers' has become a thing, but why do we actually need two LWs? Isn't that what Bodin was brought in for? Surely he won't have been brought in as RW cover, given we have Henry, Williams, Agyei and Sykes for that position?
Really struggling to see why we’d need two wingers when we have so many that can play in those positions. One certainly but not two.

Suspect a number of those signings will be end of August loans when the kids from higher up become available after pre-season, so might just be the LCB, one LW and one LB for the start of the season.

For a start, Atkinson will NEVER be as good as Rob Dickie, I personally don't even think he'll ever be as good as Nelson.

But we live in a world where players nowadays are often overrated and overpriced, but OUFC repeatedly fail to take proper advantage of that.

When Atkinson leaves, the only thing that will annoy me, will be the fact that we didn't take advantage of the situation, and get more for him, but I fully believe his replacement, while maybe not being as good at bringing the ball out of defence (and giving me heart palpitations in the process) will be better defensively.

So apart from another missed opportunity to be the pants pullers for once, instead of the pants pullees, I'll get over his departure very quickly.

But I agree, it's getting boring now

Who are these clubs selling for wildly inflated fees? Who specifically is doing this so much better than us at a comparable level - i.e. in our situation? Who is the last comparable player to be sold for a particularly inflated fee that makes this deal look like a fleecing?

You'd imagine at least one of the LWs and the RB and LB cover, and maybe the CM, could, and probably will, be loans. We need at least one permanent LB in the building though, and a left-sided replacement for Atkinson.

I know 'Robbo loves wingers' has become a thing, but why do we actually need two LWs? Isn't that what Bodin was brought in for? Surely he won't have been brought in as RW cover, given we have Henry, Williams, Agyei and Sykes for that position?

Robinson loves wingers has become a thing because it’s actually true.

I keep forgetting that we have Clare that can actually cover midfield and right wing as well (not rb) so I can’t see Bodin having been bought in as anything but a left sided attacker, him and Cooper and two more would be a strange squad balance unless the size limits are completely going?

I keep forgetting that we have Clare that can actually cover midfield and right wing as well (not rb) so I can’t see Bodin having been bought in as anything but a left sided attacker, him and Cooper and two more would be a strange squad balance unless the size limits are completely going?
Numerically we're sorted for wide players. Maybe it's known that one or more are leaving, though. If a really fast youngster becomes available on loan I'm sure we'd try to get him.

In his ifollow interview, KR also says that the 22 players (not including keepers and U21s) squad cap is awaiting clarification.

He also said it's been nice to have 21 players in training which includes 5 of the younger lads (Brearey, LCP, Elechi, Goodrham, Sade)

That fits with the 21 spotted in pictures/videos so far.
Not seen in any of the website content so far: Atkinson, Hanson, Moore, Osei-Yaw, Spasov (recently off crutches), Stevens and then Lofthouse who is out of contract.

Edit - Forde signed new desl

Last edited:

Wasn't there quite a long period last season when, after us all joking about it all summer, we actually didn't have enough? Seem to remember it being an issue before we brought in BB and Lee on deadline day.

I wonder if it perhaps means a shift in how the management plans to use Henry next season. Obviously scored some important goals last year but I think was quite clearly not as effective as he had been the year before (when he was the second-best attacking player in the division by raw numbers, lest we forget). The overload of RWs, especially if Whyte is being seriously looked at, maybe suggests we're planning to use him more as a CM, if at all, this year?

Nelson leaves... "We'll never be able to replace him"..... Dickie joins "he's better than Nelson"..... Dickie leave "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"..... Atkinson joins "he's better than Dickie" ........ Atkinson leaving "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"....... McNally joins...,....,...............
This forum🥱
We stay in league 1.

Very valid points BUT what then is our plan to get to the Championship and become a Top 30 Club?. Does it come with a realistic plan or more hope we can hit 6th place and overcome the lottery because that too is a ludicrous way to try to achieve what you keep stating is your aim.
This is the plan! This has been the model for years, player sales have been reinvested in playing staff, backroom staff and things like the training ground. We sell a player every season to bankroll us being able to afford the quality of players we have. If we didn't adopt this model we'd be nowhere near the play-offs in the first place.

To get promoted to the Championship without the lottery of the play-offs you have to finish in the top two. Even if we kept every single player we've ever sold, finishing there when 3 teams are relegated from the richer Championship every season is no guarantee. It's just a different type of lottery, and you can prepare all you want, but there's no set plan for finishing in the automatic spots, just look at Sunderland.

Being a top 30 club is more than just finishing in the top 30 for one season. It's about building the infrastructure of the football club so that we can get there and stay there even when the property money men move on.

In his ifollow interview, KR also says that the 22 players (not including keepers and U21s) squad cap is awaiting clarification.

He also said it's been nice to have 21 players in training which includes 5 of the younger lads (Brearey, LCP, Elechi, Goodrham, Sade)

Not seen in any of the website content so far: Atkinson, Hanson, Moore, Osei-Yaw, Spasov, Stevens and then Forde/Lofthouse who are both out of contract.

Up until 2/3 weeks ago, Slavi was on crutches so is still on the comeback trial following surgery.

This is the plan! This has been the model for years, player sales have been reinvested in playing staff, backroom staff and things like the training ground. We sell a player every season to bankroll us being able to afford the quality of players we have. If we didn't adopt this model we'd be nowhere near the play-offs in the first place.

To get promoted to the Championship without the lottery of the play-offs you have to finish in the top two. Even if we kept every single player we've ever sold, finishing there when 3 teams are relegated from the richer Championship every season is no guarantee. It's just a different type of lottery, and you can prepare all you want, but there's no set plan for finishing in the automatic spots, just look at Sunderland.

Being a top 30 club is more than just finishing in the top 30 for one season. It's about building the infrastructure of the football club so that we can get there and stay there even when the property money men move on.
Exactly this. Providing the opportunity for players to move onto bigger and better things after performing well makes us a more attractive club to sign for. We face competition to sign every player we're interested in, it gives us the edge on higher quality players and allows us to build a decent side to challenge for promotion.

Interesting about the wingers... Personally I think KR has probably made the decision that our many "can do a job out wide" players are better off in their more natural positions - ie Henry and Sykes in CM and Agyei as a striker - and that we need proper wingers in the building. Whyte and an u21 loan would leave us with Williams, Cooper, Whyte, Bodin, Loan as options, which I think would be ok balance in case the loan player or Cooper don't hit the ground running. The only issue I see is that the 3 more proven wingers prefer playing on the right so someone may have to adjust which is not ideal.

Personally I think we need permanent signings of a LB and LCB (assuming Atkinson is off), and the rest can be loans if necessary. I'd be chuffed with Whyte but I think someone like him who plays on the left would be a better signing at this moment.

Not seen in any of the website content so far: Atkinson, Hanson, Moore, Osei-Yaw, Spasov (recently off crutches), Stevens and then Forde/Lofthouse who are both out of contract.
Has Winnall been spotted?

Exactly this. Providing the opportunity for players to move onto bigger and better things after performing well makes us a more attractive club to sign for. We face competition to sign every player we're interested in, it gives us the edge on higher quality players and allows us to build a decent side to challenge for promotion.

How is that if we sell our decent talent and have to start all over again each year just keep challenging without achieving.

For a start, Atkinson will NEVER be as good as Rob Dickie, I personally don't even think he'll ever be as good as Nelson.

But we live in a world where players nowadays are often overrated and overpriced, but OUFC repeatedly fail to take proper advantage of that.

When Atkinson leaves, the only thing that will annoy me, will be the fact that we didn't take advantage of the situation, and get more for him, but I fully believe his replacement, while maybe not being as good at bringing the ball out of defence (and giving me heart palpitations in the process) will be better defensively.

So apart from another missed opportunity to be the pants pullers for once, instead of the pants pullees, I'll get over his departure very quickly.

But I agree, it's getting boring now
Goodness.
Atkinson looks like going for the fourth highest price for a L1 CB ever.
How on earth can this be undervaluing him (especially on your assertion that he will never be as good as Dickie or Nelson).
It makes no sense at all.

According to his highlights, Bodin plays mainly on the right.
Clare will be in the middle in his best position.

I thought that KR said that we MIGHT need another central midfieler? If so, I reckon KR is going to give Clare a chance to be that extra midfielder but he must impress in pre-season and before the end of the transfer deadline.

I thought that KR said that we MIGHT need another central midfieler? If so, I reckon KR is going to give Clare a chance to be that extra midfielder but he must impress in pre-season and before the end of the transfer deadline.
Right now our midfield options are pretty decent, with Gorrin, Hanson and CamBran able to take that CDM role, and McGuane, Sykes, Henry, Clare and CamBran able to play in the CM role, but we've got a lot of tricky, creative types, and very few midfield enforcer types. I reckon it's a case of waiting to see if the right kind of midfielder becomes available at the right price with the priority being fairly low, rather than waiting and seeing on whether one player is up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom