Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw KR in the boozer earlier and offers have been made for...

Denis Srbeny - German forward from SC Paderborn, played in England for Norwich a few yrs ago.

Matt Jay - English Forward from Exeter City.

Jaroslaw Jach - Defender, Crystal Palace.

Im in the know, you know.
Matt Jay has looked excellent this last year

Denis Srbeny - German forward from SC Paderborn, played in England for Norwich a few yrs ago.

I really wish this were true, because they are quality players 😅 Matt Jay would be a great signing!

Where does the impression that we are a "soft touch" come from? Is it anything other than fans claiming that our players are "worth more" than we receive?

It comes from other clubs receiving greater sums for less proficient players at the same level.

It comes from very little evidence of offers being rejected and interested clubs being played off against each other to escalate the price.

It comes from our players often disappearing within days of purchasing club's interest being announced.

This is all conjecture though isn't it? We don't know what happens or how the club conducts things - or what the imperatives to raise cash are. I admit it sometimes seems like this but is that because someone starts a rumour here which is then repeated endlessly?

Indeed, that was in the third line of my post - I understand things go on behind the scenes.

But, in this modern world where perception is everything, attracting the much-needed floating fans may hinge entirely on the club actually giving the impression that we are in fact 'going for it', not just saying that we are.

I'm perfectly realistic about this, I understand that players will be sold - I just expect us to a) play hardball with contracted players (a la Peterborough) and b) if we're going to be bullied by clubs higher up the food chain, then we should in turn do so to the clubs lower down (a la Matt Elliott from Scunthorpe).

Last edited:

Well I look forward to seeing these 3 names copy and pasted onto the Oxford Mail transfer rumour page in the next 48 hours!!!

First of all £1.6m was a good fee. Now £1.4m is apparently. If it turns out to be £1m will people still be claiming that’s a good amount for a young defender who made L1 TOTY in his first season out of non-league, has a couple of years on his contract and wins penalties and drives forwards like few others can?!

£2m or shop somewhere else for me.

Theirs is/at a slightly higher end caliber of player though - I’m not saying our model doesn’t work but selling a player after only 1 season isn’t ideal, like other have said if it was 2/3 years then totally different, I’d be happy if Cameron wanted a move as he’s been loyal and he deserves that

There are clubs up and down the football pyramid working this way at their own level and they all have to find their niche as they all want different things. But the notion you can’t win is what I take issue with. I’ll throw Borussia Dortmund in there as a top level example as well. Lille are another one who just won the French league over several ‘pay to win’ powerhouses. You run thin of examples further down the ladder as it takes a lot of resources to do this that lower-end clubs simply don’t have. It takes time and heavy research to generate the pipeline of players so you may not rise to prominence in the time you might if your owners go and splash out on a top level crop of players but that is not a guarantee either. But it’s financially unsustainable unless you win regularly and you always run the risk of the owners waking up one day and wanting their money back out the club. I’d far rather the club support itself.

Part of the deal when you run a club this way is to be honest with players - you sell them the platform to play regularly on the promise that if a bigger club comes along and meets our valuation at the time, we’ll let them go. To persuade them of that you need a track record - a portfolio of success stories. Maybe if you cannot get on board with how we sell players, think of it the other way and wonder what type of players we would attract if we didn’t do this… We are excellently placed to continue with this model and it gives you (the supporter) a young, exciting, ambitious & competitive team to go and watch on a Saturday.

Last edited:
There are clubs up and down the football pyramid working this way at their own level and they all have to find their niche as they all want different things. But the notion you can’t win is what I take issue with. I’ll throw Borussia Dortmund in there as a top level example as well. Lille are another one who just won the French league over several ‘pay to win’ powerhouses. You run this of examples further down the ladder as it takes a lot of resources to do this that lower-end clubs simply don’t have. It takes time and heavy research to generate the pipeline of players so you may not rise to prominence in the time you might if your owners go and splash out on a top level crop of players but that is not a guarantee either. But it’s financially unsustainable unless you win regularly and you always run the risk of the owners waking up one day and wanting their money back out the club. I’d far rather the club support itself.

Part of the deal when you run a club this way is to be honest with players - you sell them the platform to play regularly on the promise that if a bigger club comes along and meets our valuation at the time, we’ll let them go. To persuade them of that you need a track record - a portfolio of success stories. Maybe if you cannot get on board with how we sell players, think of it the other way and wonder what type of players we would attract if we didn’t do this… We are excellently placed to continue with this model and it gives you (the supporter) a young, exciting, ambitious & competitive team to go and watch on a Saturday.
Everyone knows there are no guarantees in football but has the current model got us to the Autos because whatever anyone thinks that's where a club with aim of top 30 has to be not gambling on the Lottery that is the Play Offs. This does not mean we have not done ok and given fans decent entertainment but as i'm always saying take the play off scenario away and would a club any club have to adapt their policy and approach when they are 15 / 20 + pts off of top 2 ? of course they would.

The idea surely is to improve your squad with the odd tweak here or there not weaken it by allowing better players to go each year whilst stating the aim to be a top 30 club because as i've continued to say most seasons you need a helluva lot of luck to get into an automatic promotion spot with that approach.

As another poster has said we've seen players go within days of offers being in the public domain,Gavin Whyte is a prime example as on the monday/tuesday was going nowhere yet by Friday he was gone. We gambled with our promotion opportunity by letting Fosu and Baptise go and yes we know fosu had a get out clause but why was there not a cut off point included instead of being allowed to exit just days before the window closed and we had to scrape around for replacements whilst breaking up the squad.

We can have cut off points after which we wont listen to offers, if players and other clubs know this then everyone knows the policy rather than what comes across as grab the money and then expect the manager / recruitment to find replacements in a few days.

Considering we are reported to owe Eastleigh 20% of any eventual fee, 1.4mil is far too low. If the board are serious about competing, we cannot be letting a player like Atkinson, who has 2 years left of on his deal, leave for less than 2mil. If the board want to get the fans on side, selling one of our best prospects for peanuts, is not the way to do so..

Considering we are reported to owe Eastleigh 20% of any eventual fee, 1.4mil is far too low. If the board are serious about competing, we cannot be letting a player like Atkinson, who has 2 years left of on his deal, leave for less than 2mil. If the board want to get the fans on side, selling one of our best prospects for peanuts, is not the way to do so..
PLus we presumably don’t have cash flow problems at the moment so aren’t in immediate need of money

First of all £1.6m was a good fee. Now £1.4m is apparently. If it turns out to be £1m will people still be claiming that’s a good amount for a young defender who made L1 TOTY in his first season out of non-league, has a couple of years on his contract and wins penalties and drives forwards like few others can?!

£2m or shop somewhere else for me.
Depends on so many factors including how much interest there is from different clubs, and how much we need the money. Forgte billionnaire owners, this lot have invested far more than any owners in my memory, and are running the club sensibly.

He's a good player but for me he's not as good, or critical to us, than others that we have sold in the past. He may become that player - but he's not at the moment - and he may never be. Therefore a good sell on percentage will serve us very well if we decide to cash in.

I'm far more concerned that we need to get Moore onto a longer contract.

but has the current model got us to the Autos because whatever anyone thinks that's where a club with aim of top 30 has to be not gambling on the Lottery that is the Play Offs.
I think there was a very strong chance of us making the autos in the season that was ended by Covid. And last season Peterborough made the autos with exactly this model.

No one responded last time, so I'll say it again. 2 million minus 20% equals 1.6 million

May the reported fee is what we're hoping to gain after sell on?

It comes from other clubs receiving greater sums for less proficient players at the same level.

See my original point

It comes from very little evidence of offers being rejected and interested clubs being played off against each other to escalate the price.

So you want a press release for every rejection to make you feel better?

It comes from our players often disappearing within days of purchasing club's interest being announced.

Have you read this thread? Our players are being linked all over the place and no one has left.

No one responded last time, so I'll say it again. 2 million minus 20% equals 1.6 million

May the reported fee is what we're hoping to gain after sell on?
Regardless. That’s too low. What board comes in and announces themselves to the fan base, by selling one of the clubs best players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom