Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Agreed two different players with different strengths, though do we have a good like for like replacement for Gorrin - would that be Hanson?

I see Stephen O’Donnell got a club at last I guess there wasn’t hardly any championship clubs that interested in him so he’s only managed to get himself a short term deal at Motherwell I’m glad we moved on straight away this time & managed to get a highly rated young right back in instead

I see Stephen O’Donnell got a club at last I guess there wasn’t hardly any championship clubs that interested in him so he’s only managed to get himself a short term deal at Motherwell I’m glad we moved on straight away this time & managed to get a highly rated young right back in instead
Good luck to him at Oxford B Team

Yeah agreed. They complement each other in a sense. I thought Kelly distributes with far more purpose and drive which is Gorrins big weakness in my eye. He is however is a great tackler and screen for the back four...one for getting a lead, the other for keeping it.

I mean, Karl usually only comfortably uses two subs a game, so often a third comes on at 90+ minutes. I could see Gorrin/Kelly being a regular substitution that gets utilised when needed this season.

I mean, Karl usually only comfortably uses two subs a game, so often a third comes on at 90+ minutes. I could see Gorrin/Kelly being a regular substitution that gets utilised when needed this season.
I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that we can do a deal to bring in one of Karl's old mates on a pay as you play deal to account for that last minute substitution!!

We don’t want to sign permanent deals for players we can then sell for millions in some cases, and get sell-on clauses which could be worth many hundreds of thousands more, when we can just loan a limited amount of players because they’re now easier than ever to be hoarded by those higher up. Why offer good wages for Roofe, Lundstram, Brannagan and others, when you can have your budget slashed and just get some rather than all of them for a single season, before they disappear back to their parents clubs without making you a penny in sales?

That deal you offered Marcus Browne that you nearly got him to sign before Middlesbrough rocked up at the 11th hour? Well, you won’t even be able to offer him that deal he was close to signing in the first place now - you can’t afford the wages you were willing to pay him by law. And now Middlesbrough won’t even have to pay other players what they’ve been paying him to usurp you. You can only offer a player £1500 a week max, so now they only need to pay them £3000 a week to double your offer and vacuum up the asset. Previously they were having to offer double that to snatch them off you, because you yourself could offer that £3000 a week, which also meant they were more selective. So while they might have blocked you off on a Browne, they weren’t so sure on those Roofe’s and Lundstram’s and Brannagan’s that you were able to get over the line before. Now, however, they’re available for half the salary and therefore they’re cheap punts, which means the frequency with which they block you off goes up because they have to spend less than ever to blow your offer out of the water, meaning they’ve saved money on a deal that stops you being able to own your own assets. Thus making it harder for you to actually own anybody of value that hasn’t come from your own academy or some dimly lit backwater, and therefore keeping you as pinned back and restricted as possible.

But then you know all that, you’re just being silly ;)

Enjoy the transfer thread - there’s movement afoot! There will be plenty of time on the correct channels for simple, common sense economics to be broken down and explained repeatedly. I’m even considering getting some hand puppets to help!
Thanks mate, I'll look forward to the lectures. I did get a first class degree in Economics once but I am looking forward to the hand puppets - could you add a module about stuck up Matty Taylor fans that post about a salary cap unprompted and then ask other people to "enjoy the transfer thread!"?

If we do complete a permanent deal for a West Brom youth player in the future I will look forward to your backtrack of course.

Last edited:
Weird how people talk about Kelly as a replacement for Gorrin, presumably because he literally replaced him at Wembley. Totally different players. I would like to see us sign a young combative DMC in the Gorrin mould as support/backup.

Different players but probably play in the same position, no? I suppose you could have Gorrin holding with Kelly in a more advanced central midfield position, or vice versa even, but both seem to like that deep lying central position in front of the back four (they just do it in totally different ways)

Thanks mate, I'll look forward to the lectures. I did get a first class degree in Economics once but I am looking forward to the hand puppets - could you add a module about stuck up Matty Taylor fans that post about a salary cap unprompted and then ask other people to "enjoy the transfer thread!"?

If we do complete a permanent deal for a West Brom youth player in the future I will look forward to your backtrack of course.
Oh meow. *Sits back*

O'Donnell was interviewed on Sky today and asked why he'd signed for Motherwell when the contract was only till January.
Apparently they needed a right back and Motherwell was handy for him because 'it means I can drop the kids off at my parents every morning'.
If that's the limit of his ambition, he's not going to go very far - quite literally!
So it seems we dodged a bullet with O'Donnell and from what we've heard about how Clare's approaching the role, he sounds a much better prospect.

O'Donnell was interviewed on Sky today and asked why he'd signed for Motherwell when the contract was only till January.
Apparently they needed a right back and Motherwell was handy for him because 'it means I can drop the kids off at my parents every morning'.
If that's the limit of his ambition, he's not going to go very far - quite literally!
So it seems we dodged a bullet with O'Donnell and from what we've heard about how Clare's approaching the role, he sounds a much better prospect.
Isn’t that the reason why kr is still with us.. wanting to be near family is fair enough

• React
Reactions: m
Chris also says in the Tour Diary that it is going to be a Good day tomorrow. Could be the revealing of the players

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom