Test series v India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yorkshire picked Rashid most games last summer and please explain what is wrong at the county. Plunkett is off because he wasn’t offered a contact because he is no longer deemed good value within the budget and because 4/5 very good younger players who will be available all year round at present.
England doing reasonably well at the moment.
For one, the club didn't initially congratulate him on the call up - whichever way you look at it, it's pretty silly. I do not suggest that they be over effusive, but it does come across as small minded. Comments like "I hope England know what they’re doing to Adil and the county game " and "Everyone can make their own mind up as to whether it’s the right thing to do from an England perspective but we feel very disappointed." come across badly. They aren't happy for the player, they are more concerned about the T20 tournament - think it, but don't say it!

It's clear there is something fundamentally broken between Rashid and Yorkshire. The player has some blame, but some of the comments out of Yorkshire come across really badly. Why even bother offering a one day deal for this year if they are as unhappy as they are? Why even keep Plunkett for the past few years if availability is such a problem? Why not show a speck of professionalism and keep it in house? What example does it set to the young players? If you want to play for England, jog on. Yorkshire is the be all and end all.

It's the sort of attitude that has held back the national team at times.

Cripes, the collapse is on. Dear oh dear Bairstow, that run out has cost us.

Thought it was the top order that was supposed to collapse, not the middle order ? half an hour ago we were cruising.

Oh dear.
Often the team play in the spirit of their Captain. I worry that Root manages to always find a way to get out when he looks the best batsman in the World.
So England under achieve.
We badly need some tail end runs or we could be in real trouble

On the Rashid front.....in many ways, I think it reflects mostly just badly on the paucity of options in terms of English spinners.

The three young guys that have had a look-in recently - Bess, Crane & Leach - have really done nothing much at all for their counties this summer. I'm not as familiar with the county game as I used to be, but I'm not aware of any other spinner that has been lighting it up?

So in that context, going with the player who has the talent and form, and by far the most international experience even if it is mostly in the shorter versions of the game, is probably the sensible option - especially for an important series such as this against the #1 ranked side in the world.

Course now we'll see how he does when the pressure is on. Especially given that it looks like we're going to fall short of 300 to kick things off........

For one, the club didn't initially congratulate him on the call up - whichever way you look at it, it's pretty silly. I do not suggest that they be over effusive, but it does come across as small minded. Comments like "I hope England know what they’re doing to Adil and the county game " and "Everyone can make their own mind up as to whether it’s the right thing to do from an England perspective but we feel very disappointed." come across badly. They aren't happy for the player, they are more concerned about the T20 tournament - think it, but don't say it!

It's clear there is something fundamentally broken between Rashid and Yorkshire. The player has some blame, but some of the comments out of Yorkshire come across really badly. Why even bother offering a one day deal for this year if they are as unhappy as they are? Why even keep Plunkett for the past few years if availability is such a problem? Why not show a speck of professionalism and keep it in house? What example does it set to the young players? If you want to play for England, jog on. Yorkshire is the be all and end all.

It's the sort of attitude that has held back the national team at times.

Cripes, the collapse is on. Dear oh dear Bairstow, that run out has cost us.
First sentence Isn’t great but do you know they did with the other 2. All 3 were mentioned in the same sentence on the Yccc website.
I work with many people who follow various counties( none Yorkshire) and they agree with both statements for many reasons .
They have every reason to feel somewhat pissed off as the previous week the same player said he didn’t want to play in the 4 day match against Lancashire and had to borrow another counties spinner for a month because he had no interest in playing red ball cricket. Rashid will still be at Yorkshire next season.
He was offered this years and next years contracts on the assumption of playing 1 day cricket only. As for setting examples to young players how do you think Moin Ali feels having played loads of cricket this season.
As for Plunkett what is different this year is he missed the first 5 or so weeks of the season due to the Indian t20. Also as twice previously stated they think they can get better value elsewhere such as some of the many good young players coming through the ranks.
As for England young players see that by far more players play for England that also play for Yorkshire than any other county and that Yorkshire play young players eg. Coad,Brook, Tattersall, Fisher, Shaw, Thompson rather than going and getting loads of Kolpak players like many other counties do.

First sentence Isn’t great but do you know they did with the other 2. All 3 were mentioned in the same sentence on the Yccc website.
I work with many people who follow various counties( none Yorkshire) and they agree with both statements for many reasons .
They have every reason to feel somewhat pissed off as the previous week the same player said he didn’t want to play in the 4 day match against Lancashire and had to borrow another counties spinner for a month because he had no interest in playing red ball cricket. Rashid will still be at Yorkshire next season.
He was offered this years and next years contracts on the assumption of playing 1 day cricket only. As for setting examples to young players how do you think Moin Ali feels having played loads of cricket this season.
As for Plunkett what is different this year is he missed the first 5 or so weeks of the season due to the Indian t20. Also as twice previously stated they think they can get better value elsewhere such as some of the many good young players coming through the ranks.
As for England young players see that by far more players play for England that also play for Yorkshire than any other county and that Yorkshire play young players eg. Coad,Brook, Tattersall, Fisher, Shaw, Thompson rather than going and getting loads of Kolpak players like many other counties do.
Perhaps Rashid wasn't keen to play because he didn't feel welcome? He's no angel in this, but they know he's a player that needs encouragement and a bit of love. The comments (and there are more) are ones that smack of once you play for England or want to play somewhere other than Yorkshire, jog on lads.

Sadly, lads today see T20 as an easy way to earn money without the grind of 4 day and test match cricket. In some respects, I don't blame them, but players like Rashid and Gayle are ones people will look up to. You can have your cake and eat it. I suppose for some, learning new skills in the IPL, BPL or Big Bash is seen as more attractive than slogging around England. Would you learn the knuckle ball in Durham in May?

On the Rashid front.....in many ways, I think it reflects mostly just badly on the paucity of options in terms of English spinners.

The three young guys that have had a look-in recently - Bess, Crane & Leach - have really done nothing much at all for their counties this summer. I'm not as familiar with the county game as I used to be, but I'm not aware of any other spinner that has been lighting it up?

So in that context, going with the player who has the talent and form, and by far the most international experience even if it is mostly in the shorter versions of the game, is probably the sensible option - especially for an important series such as this against the #1 ranked side in the world.

Course now we'll see how he does when the pressure is on. Especially given that it looks like we're going to fall short of 300 to kick things off........
And that Moeen is a decent spinner in England, but his record is poor away from home and they feel the need to find AN Other who can be a threat at home and away. Especially with a trip to Sri Lanka soon.

Perhaps Rashid wasn't keen to play because he didn't feel welcome? He's no angel in this, but they know he's a player that needs encouragement and a bit of love. The comments (and there are more) are ones that smack of once you play for England or want to play somewhere other than Yorkshire, jog on lads.

Sadly, lads today see T20 as an easy way to earn money without the grind of 4 day and test match cricket. In some respects, I don't blame them, but players like Rashid and Gayle are ones people will look up to. You can have your cake and eat it. I suppose for some, learning new skills in the IPL, BPL or Big Bash is seen as more attractive than slogging around England. Would you learn the knuckle ball in Durham in May?
Rashid has always been very welcome at Yorkshire since a young age and it was his decision to stop playing red ball cricket. He also played almost all championship games he was available for although on some occasions due to the wicket he hasn’t been selected. Kids look up to big hitters in t20 not bowlers. Also have Root, Bairstow and Wiley been told to jog on. One other thing Rashid made himself unavailable to play in a winner takes all championship decider against Middlesex a couple of years ago when others weren’t allowed to but were desperate to.

A good spell by Curran has brought England back into the game. The earlier bowling was a few good balls with a load of dross.

Nice to see a young swing bowler making an impression. Broad and Anderson didn't really look very threatening.

It was great to see Curran bowl well.
Problem is though that when he bowls at his very fastest, he gets up to about 85 mph. Which means a) he's unlikely to be much use anywhere other than England, and b) we've still got noone who can blow away a tail....meaning that what looked like a comfortable 80-100 run lead is down to 30 and could disappear altogether.

What was said after the Ashes is definitely still true today - we desperately need to find a bowler with some genuine pace again.

It was great to see Curran bowl well.
Problem is though that when he bowls at his very fastest, he gets up to about 85 mph. Which means a) he's unlikely to be much use anywhere other than England, and b) we've still got noone who can blow away a tail....meaning that what looked like a comfortable 80-100 run lead is down to 30 and could disappear altogether.

What was said after the Ashes is definitely still true today - we desperately need to find a bowler with some genuine pace again.
Hopefully George Garton could grow into just the man, young, 6ft plus, fast...

The catching keeps on costing us and it's not hard chances either. I simply do not understand what fielding practice they are doing to produce the 2nd worst results in test match cricket. The game should have been over by tea, but the dropsies made it an even game.

Kohli batted well, but cannot be given such an easy time of it.

Hopefully George Garton could grow into just the man, young, 6ft plus, fast...

Craig and Jamie Overton should be considered too. Two 6’5” monsters who can throw down 90mph-ers like Steve Harmison used to do.

In typical English fashion, England’s preparation for tours nearly always consists of ‘what works in England will work in Colombo/Sharjah/Brisbane etc’. The only exception is when they tour India and take the best CC spinner on the tour. We’ve therefore seen hot young prospects like Shaun Udal and 39-year-old Gareth Batty tour there. So, instead of taking a holistic approach and considering what will work in different conditions, England reward good performances at home with the same lot away from home and I think that needs considerable change.

Take the Ashes in 2010-11. England realised pace was needed and included Chris Tremlett and Steve Finn to their attack. Tremlett was good in England but superb in Australia (his golden duck dismissal of Mitchell Johnson in Sydney still makes me giddy!). He never played a huge amount more after that mostly due to injury but he was an informed choice based on the conditions. Sam Curran looks like a good prospect but will never find anything faster than 85mph as Tony says above.

Seek out the land of the giants and find those genuine pacemen. Also, a genuine left-arm spinner would be another useful addition too.

Craig and Jamie Overton should be considered too. Two 6’5” monsters who can throw down 90mph-ers like Steve Harmison used to do.

In typical English fashion, England’s preparation for tours nearly always consists of ‘what works in England will work in Colombo/Sharjah/Brisbane etc’. The only exception is when they tour India and take the best CC spinner on the tour. We’ve therefore seen hot young prospects like Shaun Udal and 39-year-old Gareth Batty tour there. So, instead of taking a holistic approach and considering what will work in different conditions, England reward good performances at home with the same lot away from home and I think that needs considerable change.

Take the Ashes in 2010-11. England realised pace was needed and included Chris Tremlett and Steve Finn to their attack. Tremlett was good in England but superb in Australia (his golden duck dismissal of Mitchell Johnson in Sydney still makes me giddy!). He never played a huge amount more after that mostly due to injury but he was an informed choice based on the conditions. Sam Curran looks like a good prospect but will never find anything faster than 85mph as Tony says above.

Seek out the land of the giants and find those genuine pacemen. Also, a genuine left-arm spinner would be another useful addition too.

indeed @unification .... England cricket selectors remain one of the few bastions of the old school tie approach to international sport sadly:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom