Sport T20 World Cup

That game was still very winnable for England.

The pitch was a bit big for Brook and Malan though, they don’t look like they are going to be heavy scorers in the huge Aussie grounds.

I agree that was very winnable, I think we needed 10 more runs for the par score on Duckworth Lewis method.

I think Malan is good enough, Brook on the other hand is young, and may feel the pressure more.

The dismissals were poor, except the Stokes one, that was an excellent delivery with good movement. We should of won that game, but didn’t use the power play to our advantage.

I’m sure the Aussies loved that result.

I agree that was very winnable, I think we needed 10 more runs for the par score on Duckworth Lewis method.

I think Malan is good enough, Brook on the other hand is young, and may feel the pressure more.

The dismissals were poor, except the Stokes one, that was an excellent delivery with good movement. We should of won that game, but didn’t use the power play to our advantage.

I’m sure the Aussies loved that result.
Think it was only 5 away from par, and the way Moeen was going only a couple of balls away from getting up to it. Had it not rained I think England would have got there. DLS doesn't really work for T20, where it only takes 1 partnership to win a game.

Think it was only 5 away from par, and the way Moeen was going only a couple of balls away from getting up to it. Had it not rained I think England would have got there. DLS doesn't really work for T20, where it only takes 1 partnership to win a game.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, I know you have to draw the line somewhere but considering you can score 6 off a single ball and the way Ali was batting you can make an argument that being 5 below with that many balls remaining is very unfair. It essentially punishes you for when you score your runs, if it looks overcast you probably need to put your bigger hitters in earlier.

In fact had Brook and Malan got out earlier we don’t “lose” that game

I think Moeen was hitting 12 from the first three deliveries in the last over before Paul Rieffel called them off.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, I know you have to draw the line somewhere but considering you can score 6 off a single ball and the way Ali was batting you can make an argument that being 5 below with that many balls remaining is very unfair. It essentially punishes you for when you score your runs, if it looks overcast you probably need to put your bigger hitters in earlier.

In fact had Brook and Malan got out earlier we don’t “lose” that game
True, but what I will add is the DLS par score isn't an unknown, it's displayed on the scoreboard so everyone knows where they stand. England would have been aware of where they needed to be but weren't there.

True, but what I will add is the DLS par score isn't an unknown, it's displayed on the scoreboard so everyone knows where they stand. England would have been aware of where they needed to be but weren't there.

Looking at how overcast the sky was you do wonder why Malan and Brook didn’t hit out a bit more, especially considering we bat deep. But then they are cricket players not weathermen, they prepare themselves for twenty overs not whatever the weather allows.

Looking at how overcast the sky was you do wonder why Malan and Brook didn’t hit out a bit more, especially considering we bat deep. But then they are cricket players not weathermen, they prepare themselves for twenty overs not whatever the weather allows.
I believe the management have access to weather radars etc, so they should have known what was coming and got messages out to the middle. It doesn't take too much thinking to tweak the batting order and have Moeen come in earlier to keep up with the rate either. It's frustrating that we can be so inflexible at times.

All to do for England now.
Australia next? Need to win that one

All to do for England now.
Australia next? Need to win that one
So do they, it's almost like an eliminator already. Lose that game, two defeats in the group, will be tough to go through following that.

Weather doing its best to ruin the tournament! Four matches lost to the rain already.

Means it's increasingly likely that qualification is going to come down to NRR. Will need to get our slogging boots on even more than usual.....

Weather doing its best to ruin the tournament! Four matches lost to the rain already.

Means it's increasingly likely that qualification is going to come down to NRR. Will need to get our slogging boots on even more than usual.....
They should have held the tournament in Manchester.

It's quite early (spring) to hold a tournament of that magnitude in Australia . The temperatures are warmer here than places like Melbourne and Canberra, Perth and Adelaide are only marginally warmer. More rain forecast. Next game for us Brisbane on Tuesday. Quite warm but rain forecast.
Could turn into a farce if the weather doesn't pick up!!

So England score 179.

NZ need 180 not bad, but if NZ chase it down fair play to them.

Anyone watching it? How is the pitch playing? Must admit I'm pretty disappointed by the total, but I've only got the score in a ticker on my screen as I work - is this defendable?

Anyone watching it? How is the pitch playing? Must admit I'm pretty disappointed by the total, but I've only got the score in a ticker on my screen as I work - is this defendable?

NZ spinners did well to slow the run rate and pick up a couple of important wickets to stop England really capitalising on the last few overs. Still scored 87 from last 8, but felt like we were about 10 runs short.

Bowl with discipline and hold our catches and I think we've got enough to win, but we could have almost put the game to bed if we'd posted nearer 200.

One for Rashid/Mo/Livingstone to show their stuff then. Good start with the early wicket and restricting the run rate.

Back
Top Bottom