Sport Protestor stop the Snooker World Championships

"No tangibly good reason" is a bizarre piece if deliberate ignorance. It would be very easy to find out their reasons by listening ti what they say.

I understand jt has.something to do with the planet and hoping it will be liveable in the future.
Uh huh.

I'm not saying what they're doing wasn't for any reason. They're called Just Stop Oil so the reason for the protest was (presumably) to spread the message that we should "just stop oil".

That's great and all, but what was the "tangibly good" reason for disrupting the snooker. To get to that answer I would need to know:

A. "what tangible result was Just Stop Oil looking to achieve from disrupting the snooker", and

B. "What good were they expecting to come from their protest". (I can't turn bold off so I'll just go with it from here...)

The point from my post being that I don't think "well now you're talking about it" is actually a good enough expected result from a protest. Where's the tangible good in that? We all know we need to stop or vastly reduce our oil. Talking about a disrupted snooker match does not push the UK closer to a reform of its energy strategy. If the tangible good you're seeking involves government intervention or a change in energy strategy why on earth are you stopping a snooker match?

That's what I mean by "tangibly good". You might call it ignorance, but I think what might have happened is that you've actually failed to understand the point I was making. Which is pretty ironic.

Don`t worry all the soap dodgers will be down in London at the weekend.

All getting there "sustainably" of course.

All the kit & set up is probably "offset" by planting a tree.

Hypocrites the lot of them.

Reducing the population and consuming less of everything is the best way to slow down the damage. :)

I heard they haven't ruled out trying to disrupt the London Marathon... Well if you are going to try something like that at an event where people have been training for most of the winter and are doing it to remember lost loved ones in the majority of cases, you'd better be prepared for some rough treatment from some angry and adrenaline-fuelled runners.

Very few protests produce "tangible results" though, it is more about creating a climate (ho ho) where the issue becomes unavoidable. Much the same with strikes. The point is to make it inconvenient and unavoidable and to force the govt to have to engage.

Protests very rarely produce an immediately tangible good. But what they're doing and why *is* very very clear. I'd have thought even from casual observing and a vague understanding of the history of protest but also if you go read their stuff and listen to interviews they put their case well. Not sure whether I am on their side yet but I think it *is* clear for anyone who wants to find out what they're doing and why

I heard they haven't ruled out trying to disrupt the London Marathon... Well if you are going to try something like that at an event where people have been training for most of the winter and are doing it to remember lost loved ones in the majority of cases, you'd better be prepared for some rough treatment from some angry and adrenaline-fuelled runners.
In so far as there is any formal 'organisation' that unites the various eco protest and concern groups, Extinction Rebellion were on the radio yesterday saying that they specifically *have* ruled it out and have been talking to the Stop Oil people asking them to do the same. You can of course never rule out someone doing something off their own bat.

Back
Top Bottom