General Sykes being loaned out!!!!

I’m yet to see what everyone else does in Sykes. Decent player for sure, definitely has potential and you see flashes of quality in him, but I don’t see this swashbuckling playmaker others do. In fact against Brackley in pre-season I thought he was our worst player. Was slow and seemed to be the only player on our team who couldn’t pull away from their players or skip past them, and kept getting tackled and knocked off the ball. Yes he’s got in the N Ireland squad a couple of times, but they still play 40 year olds at centre back and call up free agents every summer. Their starting forwards are a mix and match of L1 level players and some who don’t even have a club presently. It’s great to see players getting called up for their countries, but I’m not sure Northern Ireland have a wealth of players to call on of real quality. I remember seeing a Latvian international sign for us in the conference and he was terrible. Are Latvia really that much worse than Northern Ireland?

I am acutely aware that all sounds very harsh, but I’m just offering a different point of view and saying why. I do like the guy as a potential / future player for us. I think he needs regular football for a few months to get up to speed. Let’s not forget he was part time seven months ago. If we can’t offer him game time here and have a wealth of centre midfield players, is this not just sensible? We put Baptiste on loan to the Conference South the other year and look what happened after that. If he kicks on and plays very well, he will come back. If not, doesn’t that say something?

I’m all for it, personally. If he’s that good he will show it and come back to make an impact. It’s win/win, surely?

changed me mind .... I have emailed Rad Ox asking the very Q, (sorry @Manorlounger )... though whether Rad Ox choose to ask my Q remains to be seen / heard
To be fair Sarge, you may not like the answer but KR made it fairly clear why he wants to loan him out in the OM.
So NMcW will predumably say exactly the same?

I hope he goes to a good club and plays regularly as it will do him the world of good.

I’m yet to see what everyone else does in Sykes. Decent player for sure, definitely has potential and you see flashes of quality in him, but I don’t see this swashbuckling playmaker others do. In fact against Brackley in pre-season I thought he was our worst player. Was slow and seemed to be the only player on our team who couldn’t pull away from their players or skip past them, and kept getting tackled and knocked off the ball. Yes he’s got in the N Ireland squad a couple of times, but they still play 40 year olds at centre back and call up free agents every summer. Their starting forwards are a mix and match of L1 level players and some who don’t even have a club presently. It’s great to see players getting called up for their countries, but I’m not sure Northern Ireland have a wealth of players to call on of real quality. I remember seeing a Latvian international sign for us in the conference and he was terrible. Are Latvia really that much worse than Northern Ireland?

I am acutely aware that all sounds very harsh, but I’m just offering a different point of view and saying why. I do like the guy as a potential / future player for us. I think he needs regular football for a few months to get up to speed. Let’s not forget he was part time seven months ago. If we can’t offer him game time here and have a wealth of centre midfield players, is this not just sensible? We put Baptiste on loan to the Conference South the other year and look what happened after that. If he kicks on and plays very well, he will come back. If not, doesn’t that say something?

I’m all for it, personally. If he’s that good he will show it and come back to make an impact. It’s win/win, surely?
I rate Sykes little more than Ryan but totally get why he maybe loaned out.

Plus, what's the point in asking NMcW about individual players? Unless he's become assistant manager all of a sudden its all a bit silly and pointless.

Let's not forget that Sykes has played the professional game for 6 months or so. He needs to play regularly and it's shrewd management to realise that the kid needs to play rather then hold onto him.

Plus, what's the point in asking NMcW about individual players? Unless he's become assistant manager all of a sudden its all a bit silly and pointless.
... Niall McW is taking questions on 5 mins Fans forum today, hes all thats being made avail (today certainly) .... until an open and public fans forum is held

... Niall McW is taking questions on 5 mins Fans forum today, hes all thats being made avail (today certainly) .... until an open and public fans forum is held
Karl's explained his reasons. Fans forums, you'd have thought, should be for worthwhile questions anyway.

I'm always suspicious that any players punted out on loan by OUFC, have generally, once loaned out, tended to be at the beginning of the end of their career with OUFC

Sykes is a talent IMO ... fit too, match fit... fitter than at least 4 others players technically in/ part of the first team squad, when fit, or in the case of Hall , when clearly unfit!, (Hall, Thorne, Baptiste and Napa), to be loaning him out with 4 similarish players injured, plus with 2 other similarish players in all likely hood looking at suspensions for totting up bookings, ( Gorrin , Brannagan), Woodburn and Forde are still finding their feet at this level, whereas Sykes is already proven as a decent squad player who is capable of starting a number of games as well as featuring regularly off the bench, sending Sykes off to play amongst a bunch of cloggers, is a retrograde step - unless of course there's been a behind the scenes bust-up?

we are not a PL side with a huge squad, couple of injuries, couple of suspensions and our squad will be painfully thin... even more anorexic like with Sykes punted out

if it's about freeing up wage money, why not say so? , .... I hope, really hope I'm wrong, but, I can see Sykes farmed out being the start of the end of his time here. Sadly.

Last edited:
Karl's explained his reasons. Fans forums, you'd have thought, should be for worthwhile questions anyway.
you hope that fans forums would be for worthwhile questions.... however Rad Ox filter/censor questions submitted for the 5 min fans forum in favour of aome (IMO) really crap questions

I sincerly hope youre right & Sykes does a Baptiste.... likelyhood is , sadly, that he will go the same way as other former OUFC players/assets... loaned out, then released

you hope that fans forums would be for worthwhile questions.... however Rad Ox filter/censor questions submitted for the 5 min fans forum in favour of aome (IMO) really crap questions
That is true. By worthwhile I mean instead of asking about individuals, ask more generally and then you'll get a more nuanced answer so you don't have to ask the same thing every time it happens. For what it's worth, I still think he has a future here.

That is true. By worthwhile I mean instead of asking about individuals, ask more generally and then you'll get a more nuanced answer so you don't have to ask the same thing every time it happens. For what it's worth, I still think he has a future here.
I really hope you're right re Sykes having a future here :sneaky:

Another thing is that it was widely suggested Henry would be off, and perhaps his performances have made KR rethink and change plans for Sykes.

Another thing is that it was widely suggested Henry would be off, and perhaps his performances have made KR rethink and change plans for Sykes.

Personally, I don't think Henry is off or he was ever going this season. I could be wrong obviously but I don't think I am.

I think there's a bit behind the scenes with this one.
One of the reasons he came here was to join up with his mate Gav. Has become unsettled because of Gav's sale and not his usual self.
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go back to Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom