General Sykes being loaned out!!!!

I think there's a bit behind the scenes with this one.
One of the reasons he came here was to join up with his mate Gav. Has become unsettled because of Gav's sale and not his usual self.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go back to Ireland.

Agree with that... it makes more logical sense than most other reasons being speculated

Napa was the one most likely to go out on loan, getting injured put that on hold.
Given game time Sykes has the ability to be an eye catching player. He won't be short of offers from L2.

May be the other players are fitter then we think? And ready to get back in the team ?

Personally, I see this as a good move for all concerned.

Sykes is a decent player but will only be likely to get substitute appearances at the moment so a loan deal makes sense to give him the opportunity to play regular football. He is still fairly young and has player very little senior football at this level. Getting 20+ games under his belt in league 2 will make him a better player and someone who can come back in January ready to push for a regular first team spot.
Yes Niall...

This off the wage bill bit. We will be paying some of if not most of his wage. His wages are not big in comparison to the rest of the squad.

Now compare that to who we are trying to bring in. There’s still a big difference in % in wages needed to fund that signing. This is about him not being part ok KR’s immediate plans, simple as that.

Last edited:
You don’t think the brains on here could do better than the management?
Were there not people on the forum last year saying we should move Mousinho to midfield and away from the calamity he was (is) at CB way before the management made the switch?

Sometimes, the fans do seem to see things quicker, or clearer, than the management do. Which could be for a number of reasons.

I’m yet to see what everyone else does in Sykes. Decent player for sure, definitely has potential and you see flashes of quality in him, but I don’t see this swashbuckling playmaker others do. In fact against Brackley in pre-season I thought he was our worst player. Was slow and seemed to be the only player on our team who couldn’t pull away from their players or skip past them, and kept getting tackled and knocked off the ball. Yes he’s got in the N Ireland squad a couple of times, but they still play 40 year olds at centre back and call up free agents every summer. Their starting forwards are a mix and match of L1 level players and some who don’t even have a club presently. It’s great to see players getting called up for their countries, but I’m not sure Northern Ireland have a wealth of players to call on of real quality. I remember seeing a Latvian international sign for us in the conference and he was terrible. Are Latvia really that much worse than Northern Ireland?

I am acutely aware that all sounds very harsh, but I’m just offering a different point of view and saying why. I do like the guy as a potential / future player for us. I think he needs regular football for a few months to get up to speed. Let’s not forget he was part time seven months ago. If we can’t offer him game time here and have a wealth of centre midfield players, is this not just sensible? We put Baptiste on loan to the Conference South the other year and look what happened after that. If he kicks on and plays very well, he will come back. If not, doesn’t that say something?

I’m all for it, personally. If he’s that good he will show it and come back to make an impact. It’s win/win, surely?
Looked far from our worst player against Brackley, even though in that game he was being made to play out of position as the defensive midfielder.

Not sure how some people would expect Hall to come back at 100% after a year out injured although some have already written him off after 1 start and a handful of minutes off the bench. He needs careful management and no doubt that is why he hasn't been loaned out, just needs games off the bench and u23's for now.
The problem I have with that is that (IMO) Hall is so far from being ready for first team football that we should not be using him as a sub in order to try to get him fit. If we were four up with fifteen minutes to go then maybe - but he can unfortunately offer very little at the moment when we are chasing the game. Would Sykes be a better option than Hall in that sort of situation? I think he probably would - based on last season's performances anyway (I guess he may have suddenly developed two left feet over the summer). I do sympathise with Hall's plight, but can anyone really hand on heart think that him coming on gives other teams the slightest pause for thought at the moment? And who thinks Burton would have brought him on as a substitute in his current state of fitness? This isn't said with any malice - i think he was an exciting player and hopefully will be again. But at the moment, he isn't.

Yes disappointing but.....

Which football club in their right mind would even want Robbie Hall currently?

With Mark Sykes, he's fit, quality and represents value for someone.

That's the sad state of it.

Robbie's situation reminds me of Christian Riberio.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hall also goes out on loan.
That I think would be the best option maybe to a L2 side or even National team where possibly he would get more game time which would help getting his fotnwss back the the level we want.

It’s not as if we are selling him though is it, anyone would think we are letting him go for good. If he stays here he will hardly get a game from what I can see so get him out on loan to get some game time in my opinion.
Also I see some people are writing Thorne off already before he has even kicked a ball for us. Would they have bought him in if they didn’t think he was fit enough. I suspect he isn’t costing us that much anyway because it is in Derby’s interest to get him playing so they would still be paying a large chunk of his wages.

That I think would be the best option maybe to a L2 side or even National team where possibly he would get more game time which would help getting his fotnwss back the the level we want.
I'm not so sure that would be wise, as theres no guarantee the club that loans him will use him sensibly, which could end up doing more harm than good, whereas at least if he's here, we can monitor his progress, and give him the best chance of regaining his fitness, whilst making sure he isn't used in such a way that hinders his progress, and would be wary of trusting another club with such a fragile player, as if it went wrong, it could finish him off.

Really feel for Robbie, but he's not anywhere near ready for the first team yet, and from what I've seen, I'd imagine its gonna be a long time before he is ready, if at all.

Maybe playing in the U23's for this season might give him more of a chance of regaining some form, fitness and confidence again

you hope that fans forums would be for worthwhile questions.... however Rad Ox filter/censor questions submitted for the 5 min fans forum in favour of aome (IMO) really crap questions
I don’t bother Sarge
, I can imagine it now “ and here’s a question from oh no!”

I'm not so sure that would be wise, as theres no guarantee the club that loans him will use him sensibly, which could end up doing more harm than good, whereas at least if he's here, we can monitor his progress, and give him the best chance of regaining his fitness, whilst making sure he isn't used in such a way that hinders his progress, and would be wary of trusting another club with such a fragile player, as if it went wrong, it could finish him off.

Really feel for Robbie, but he's not anywhere near ready for the first team yet, and from what I've seen, I'd imagine its gonna be a long time before he is ready, if at all.

Maybe playing in the U23's for this season might give him more of a chance of regaining some form, fitness and confidence again
I agree I would keepSykes and our Robbie our in loan

Back
Top Bottom