Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy if true. We had the best right wing back in the league on the books and got rid of him because his wages were high - there’s no guarantee that new signings on less wages will be anywhere near as effective.
Who are you referring to? Don't say Anderson. DO NOT SAY ANDERSON!

I think most of us like Henry - he has been a good player for us. According to what I could find online, he appeared for us 25 times last season (I don't know how many of those were off the bench) and scored one goal. I am sure the club will have to think very hard about his fitness, age, injury status and wages before keeping him - I am not sure we can keep too many of the players who can't be at least expected to be able to play a full part in the season, especially since there are some of that ilk we will simply not be able to offload anywhere.

Do they? Who are you thinking of?

I like McNally and he has a high ceiling but it's a massive step up from where he is now to playing for a club in the Champions League/Europa League places.

Stones, Maguire, Holding, Burn and Gomez, not to mention the many who cut their teeth out on loan

I think most of us like Henry - he has been a good player for us. According to what I could find online, he appeared for us 25 times last season (I don't know how many of those were off the bench) and scored one goal. I am sure the club will have to think very hard about his fitness, age, injury status and wages before keeping him - I am not sure we can keep too many of the players who can't be at least expected to be able to play a full part in the season, especially since there are some of that ilk we will simply not be able to offload anywhere.

I think the ‘clown’ gave him a 2 year contract so will be difficult to shift

I think the ‘clown’ gave him a 2 year contract so will be difficult to shift
Well he is certainly good enough still for other clubs to take an interest. I suspect he still wants to play, so might be happy to move on to get more first team football. Baldock and Wildschut (for example) might be *more* difficult to shift.

Not sure if mentioned but Josh McEachran has left MK, one of their better players who Manning brought in and was born in Oxford. Ball playing midfielder who can dictate play.

Wonder if Manning might be tempted.

Not sure if he’s ‘grown up’ but his attitude as a youth was ‘I am the big I am’. Hope for his sake he’s changed.

Yes of course, that’s why he didn’t play him from the start after joining as manager. Henry’s only appearance was on 11th March when LM just joined, as he was subbed and didn’t play again.
He got injured didn't he?

Stones, Maguire, Holding, Burn and Gomez, not to mention the many who cut their teeth out on loan
Not quite a fair comparison though, they started at a lower level but let's remember McNally is on loan because he couldn't get a sniff of a game at a Championship team for the first six months of the season, albeit a very good one. By the time they were McNallys age Stones had played 100 odd Premier League games and 20 or so times for England and moved for 50m. Gomez went to Liverpool as a teenager and had a good handful of England caps, Holding was established at Arsenal too.

Maguire is the most similar in terms of career path but even he had played a good amount of Premier League games by this point in his career. I'd love to see him succeed and think he's got a shot of spending a chunk of his career in the top division but I think talk of playing for a top 6 team is very fanciful.

Like Mous, he’s got a playing contract whether he’s actually registered or not, so he’s on the budget sheet for playing staff no matter what.

From a pure budgeting, "how much money do we have to ask Bakrie for this year" perspective, it's true that it makes no difference if we pay Baldock off, or have him sitting around on the bench doing some coaching.

But from a Salary Cost Management Protocol perspective, I actually think it's better that he stays.
If we pay him off, that will be deemed as football expenses, and would count against the 60% of revenues that we're allowed to spend.
If however he stays, but is deemed as medically unable to play next season, I think we can exclude his salary from our SCMP budget, can't we?

Mcnally was great last night let's hope Coventry go up and they buy him for 4million and we get a percentage that could help quite a it 🙏
More like £8m at least with add ons if they go up & pretty sure we will be did something from Burnley for them going up

As an example, these are some strikers I believe we should be looking at:
  • Josh Umerah - Hartlepool United
  • Mo Eisa - MK Dons
  • Dan Agyei - Crewe Alexandra
  • Samson Tovide - Colchester United
  • James Berry - Macclesfield
  • Charlie Kelman - QPR
  • Mason Burstow - Chelsea
  • Max Watters - Cardiff City
  • Harvey Knibbs - Free Agent
  • Sam Smith - Free Agent
  • Cole Stockton - Free Agent
  • Luke Armstrong - Harrogate Town
  • Alfie May - Cheltenham Town
  • Will Osula - Sheffield United
  • Lee Bonis - Larne
  • Ben House - Lincoln City
  • Kylian Kouassi - Sutton United
  • Dale Taylor - Nottingham Forest
  • Joe Pigott - Ipswich Town
  • Jay Stansfield - Fulham
I’d snap your hand off for Burstow & Stansfield right now thank you very much

Pretty sure as owners they would be allowed to create shares to pay off any amount they wish to cover. FFP doesn’t exist in league 1 & below, however it would mean our owners biting the bullet & signing off a couple of million to right the mistakes of KR to give Manning a clean slate. I doubt they will do that but I’m pretty sure that is an option open to them. Sheffield Wednesday lose £24m a season & it gets cleared by their owner every season. So it’s not the fact that the money can’t be spent to clear said debts every season. It’s just whether they want to.

Pretty sure as owners they would be allowed to create shares to pay off any amount they wish to cover. FFP doesn’t exist in league 1 & below, however it would mean our owners biting the bullet & signing off a couple of million to right the mistakes of KR to give Manning a clean slate. I doubt they will do that but I’m pretty sure that is an option open to them. Sheffield Wednesday lose £24m a season & it gets cleared by their owner every season. So it’s not the fact that the money can’t be spent to clear said debts every season. It’s just whether they want to.

This is true - FFP doesn't exist; SCMP does - meaning we can't spend more than 60% of our revenues on the squad (or if we did, we'd face a transfer embargo).
But there is nothing to stop you counting infusions of cash from your owner as revenue as long as it is not a loan. It just seems unlikely that Bakrie would want to give us money in this way, when everything that's been spent by them on the club so far (I believe - someone correct me if I'm wrong!) is still carried on our balance sheet as debt.

I’d snap your hand off for Burstow & Stansfield right now thank you very much

As second choice, maybe. For our first choice, I think we want someone far more established that has already proven they can score at this level (those two have never made it out of single figures in a season).

Maybe that's just the scars of Carlton Morris (who has gone on to become a fine player, but wasn't ready yet when Appleton made him one of his first signings), but however talented a young, Premier League kid may be - it's tough to predict when they're going to explode into being a really effective pro.

From a pure budgeting, "how much money do we have to ask Bakrie for this year" perspective, it's true that it makes no difference if we pay Baldock off, or have him sitting around on the bench doing some coaching.

But from a Salary Cost Management Protocol perspective, I actually think it's better that he stays.
If we pay him off, that will be deemed as football expenses, and would count against the 60% of revenues that we're allowed to spend.
If however he stays, but is deemed as medically unable to play next season, I think we can exclude his salary from our SCMP budget, can't we?
I don’t believe so. He’s got a playing contract that we have to honour, so as far as I’m aware the cost of that is applied to the squad budget whether he plays a single second of football or not. I don’t think it even matters if he’s registered in the squad list, so long as his employment contract states he’s a footballer.

We would probably have to get him to change his contract from a playing contract to a coaching one in order to exclude him from the budget sheet, but I don’t think that’s even possible as he hasn’t done any badges so can’t be employed in an official coaching capacity.

He’s currently doing a degree that will qualify him to be a Director of Football / Sporting Director, which he started in January:

Not quite a fair comparison though, they started at a lower level but let's remember McNally is on loan because he couldn't get a sniff of a game at a Championship team for the first six months of the season, albeit a very good one. By the time they were McNallys age Stones had played 100 odd Premier League games and 20 or so times for England and moved for 50m. Gomez went to Liverpool as a teenager and had a good handful of England caps, Holding was established at Arsenal too.

Maguire is the most similar in terms of career path but even he had played a good amount of Premier League games by this point in his career. I'd love to see him succeed and think he's got a shot of spending a chunk of his career in the top division but I think talk of playing for a top 6 team is very fanciful.

My point was just that being a top football league CB talent can translate into being a top 6 player. Pinning McNally’s career path on his age is also a bit unfair on him, he’s effectively 2yrs into his senior career and is developing at a much quicker rate than most 22/23yos as he plays regular first team football. I also don’t think you can hold the Burnley thing against him when you look at the calibre of those stopping him from getting into the team, especially when you consider he’s been of the best CBs in the league since joining Coventry in Jan.

I’m not saying he will play for a Top Six team, but he has the raw attributes to make him very appealing if he were to have another big season, maybe in the top flight with Coventry or even Burnley given their loan players have gone back

Joe Rodon got a move from Swansea to Spurs aged 22 and I’ve got little doubt McNally’s career will eclipse his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom