• **** New European Championships section: HERE. ****

Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I be the first to mention Cole Stockton’s name again? He’s banged in 4 in the last two games…

From what I understand the club are going back to the data driven model, like Brentford and Brighton do.

I think Manning will say which positions they need to recruit and then it will be down to the recruitment team to find players who tick the relevant boxes regarding their KPI’s and what manning is looking for from a player.

So yes Manning will have a say in it but it won’t be a case of him going to the board with a list of names of who he wants to sign. There might be 1 or 2 players he has worked with before that he would want but overall it will be a team effort to bring players in.
It's mental to me that, given how demonstrably successful this method of recruitment is, we (or any other club) have not already fully embraced it, let alone had it and moved away from it, as this wording suggests.

One element of the current recent success of our new management team that I think will muddy our recruitment waters is the unanticipated quality of certain written-off players that could come through after a few weeks/months with LM and team. The likes of Seddon, Jones, Wildschutt all look nailed-on for moving on and replacing. But given the turnaround LM has had on the performances of the likes of Murphy, what's to say they won't come back after pre-season and be quality first-choice options once he's had his way with them?

Really exciting times ahead you feel. The whole club has had a lift. It feels vaguely similar to the end of 14-15, when we saw off relegation quite late on and you could see what MApp might be able to do with the club. Here's hoping history repeats itself.

Personally can't see many players on perm contracts being moved on with a question over Baldock/Taylor/Seddon/Stevens/Jones for obvious reasons. To have a full squad though would certainly make a change.

I wonder if Sam Smith at Cambridge might be on our radar if we are signing a couple of down the middle strikers. Looked by some way the best striker I saw at The Kassam this season.

Is Smith out of contract? Can see Cambridge staying up so can’t see us getting him otherwise, although doubt he would be short of takers.

We need two new centre forwards, other than Taylor it’s been a position we have struggled to sign anyone in since we got promoted back to the third tier, partly because Robinson signed players on there way to the glue factory and partly because good centre forwards at this level come at a premium.

Can I be the first to mention Cole Stockton’s name again? He’s banged in 4 in the last two games…
And they were very good goals as well. Must be a reason why the bigger L1 clubs haven't gone for him. Needs to lose quite of lot of timber, by the look of him.

Let's hope it's better than the last couple of windows.

I do have concerns though. There's no director of football and the jury is still out on Ferguson and Williams being able to sell the club which wont be easy after a 19th place finish. Manning has only previously managed under a sporting director/DoF so hasn't been responsible for recruitment previously. Our head of recruitment was part of the s**t show that was the last two windows and somehow got a promotion out of it.

I fear many of the issues that led to two poor windows still remain. Hope I'm wrong.
Jury still out? They both need to go.

From what I understand the club are going back to the data driven model, like Brentford and Brighton do.

I think Manning will say which positions they need to recruit and then it will be down to the recruitment team to find players who tick the relevant boxes regarding their KPI’s and what manning is looking for from a player.

So yes Manning will have a say in it but it won’t be a case of him going to the board with a list of names of who he wants to sign. There might be 1 or 2 players he has worked with before that he would want but overall it will be a team effort to bring players in.
I think they need to take a look at the Plymouth model e.g. identify where we need the strengthen/type of players needed, and get business done early.

My squad for next season looks like this, assuming that at least one goalkeeper moves on and Baldock retires.

View attachment 13157

The absolute minimum that we need is LB RB CDM and 2 strikers. But assuming that they are all over 21 years old, we would still have 4 additional squad places to fill even if we keep Seddon and Henry involved.

We need to utilise the loan market better, Joseph and Bate both really bought into the club even if they suffered at times (like everyone else). Smith and Konate, no thanks!! But 5/6 good loanees and 5/6 permanent signings and we've got the makings of a top 10 squad, even if top 6 might be a little optimistic after this season.
That initial squad/players still here doesn’t look good enough to me.

And they were very good goals as well. Must be a reason why the bigger L1 clubs haven't gone for him. Needs to lose quite of lot of timber, by the look of him.
We’ll simply put he just hasn’t been scoring all season until now. Yes he’s scored 4 vital goals in their last two games but for me the bigger question is why hasn’t he done anything all season?

7 goals in 37 with 4 in his last two.

On a free transfer as an option I don’t mind the idea

You would keep Yanic?! For me he has been the biggest disappointment. We also can’t have 3 keepers when none of them are good enough for 1st choice.
I still say we move Findlay on as Manning wants us to play out from the back and he isn’t good enough on the ball.
I’d also potentially keep Bodin as a squad player if the wage is right as you do still need players like him.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pleased with the vast majority of the squad, but I think we can get a tune and there is quality in many.
Eastwood has done well, and my philosophy would not be to play football from the back. My targets in regards to strikers would allow direct play at times.
Our defence is centrally decent. I see Moore, find lay, brown and long as players who are better centrally.
Bodin is a good player but I want players who will give us 40 games a season. I don't think that's too much to ask.

It's mental to me that, given how demonstrably successful this method of recruitment is, we (or any other club) have not already fully embraced it, let alone had it and moved away from it, as this wording suggests.

One element of the current recent success of our new management team that I think will muddy our recruitment waters is the unanticipated quality of certain written-off players that could come through after a few weeks/months with LM and team. The likes of Seddon, Jones, Wildschutt all look nailed-on for moving on and replacing. But given the turnaround LM has had on the performances of the likes of Murphy, what's to say they won't come back after pre-season and be quality first-choice options once he's had his way with them?

Really exciting times ahead you feel. The whole club has had a lift. It feels vaguely similar to the end of 14-15, when we saw off relegation quite late on and you could see what MApp might be able to do with the club. Here's hoping history repeats itself.
The thing is with this data, is that both Brentford and Brightons owners have made their money of being able to spot patterns and gamble successfully and each has their own stats company who’s secrets are held under lock and key, so whoever tried it without the maths whizzes at the forefront may struggle to reap the same rewards

Out of that I would get rid of Seddon, Findlay, Henry and Wildschut
Who do you know willing to take them?
If our attacking midfield / wide options were Henry, Bodin, Wildschut, Murphy, Goodrham and Browne then I would want to cry.

That would be asking for a devastating and potentially catastrophic injury crisis.
Probably why expectations next year have to be tempered slightly, because there is a very good chance that’s who we have got and, if the people on here who like to say they’re ITK are right, they’re a big chunk of our budget too.
It feels vaguely similar to the end of 14-15, when we saw off relegation quite late on and you could see what MApp might be able to do with the club. Here's hoping history repeats itself.
With a huge difference being that Mapp had unearthed Baldock and Roofe, possibly the two best players in the league.

Defensively we’ve let in the same amount of goals as Peterborough.
Although needs bolstering and a bit of positional manoeuvring. Have done a pretty good job, and kept us up at the moment on goal conceded.
The team has been so disjointed as the top end hasn’t been good enough this season, even yesterday the movement up there was pretty laboured, until Tyler came on.

Jury still out? They both need to go.

Neither will go. Both have worked with the money men before and were brought in by them for that reason. They will go down the "lessons learnt" route and apologies for underestimating how much needed to change and commit to doing better this season etc.

Wikipedia suggests Smith and May could both be out of contract. If that’s the case then I hope we are taking good looks at them.

Edit - looks like May extended by a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pleased with the vast majority of the squad, but I think we can get a tune and there is quality in many.
Eastwood has done well, and my philosophy would not be to play football from the back. My targets in regards to strikers would allow direct play at times.
Our defence is centrally decent. I see Moore, find lay, brown and long as players who are better centrally.
Bodin is a good player but I want players who will give us 40 games a season. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Manning’s philosophy is to play out from the back though so that’s why I think we need a better keeper than Eastwood.
It is also a bit unrealistic to have a squad of 23 players who will all play 40 games but Bodin has played 38 games for us this season..

And what brings you to that conclusion? Who else is going to pay him the same wage as what we do after this season? Also CB is very settled in the area and loves his life away from football with the fishing in the area.
As I said before, he has missed his big move now so I don’t actually see many options appealing to him.
Its an easy comment to make without any evidence to support it - unless the poster is CamBran

I could claim that Jack Grealish fancies a move here - its meaningless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom