Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interest has been in Negru (Bristol) and Brown (Aberdeen), so they're most likely to be on exit list for a fee. Others will be mutually agreed terminations.
Not sure about that but I see the Negru situation as a big test for the club.

In the past few years we've sold players too early into their development so hopefully we have learnt from the likes of Peterborough how you negotiate a sale. Eales had his own interests but he could negotiate a sale.

Negru will hopefully be given a new deal and I'd to see him stay with us for at least this season and next.

who has gone out on loan and come back and pushed on? I dont recall anyone.
Shandon Baptiste went on loan to Hampton & Richmond barely six months before he broke through. Sam Long was also on loan there with him at the same time, and he was 23 rather than a hopeful teenager. Tyler Goodrham went on loan twice in a season (Hayes & Yeading and Slough) two years ago. Jack Stevens went on loan four times (Cirencester, Oxford City x2 and Tamworth) before becoming first choice here and nearly ended up in the Premier League two summers ago.

There are several more who went on loan numerous times but were eventually released, and have since ended up back in League One or the SPL; Robbie Cundy, Kyran Lofthouse, Max Crocombe and Miles Welch-Hayes to name four. Cundy actually played 13 games in the Championship for Bristol City two seasons ago. Playing regular football saved their careers.

If we get another forward in then yes there definitely is a case for G’OD going out on loan, possibly to a National League side where l believe a loan recall is permitted?

However he really should have gone out on loan last season, for his and the club’s benefit. It was awful recruitment and poor mismanagement of one of our young players that this didn’t happen.

He’s potentially a year behind in his development because of last season’s on and off field shambles.
I am.not sure it is that clear.
He got loads of experience last season and I would have thought thatcit has done him a lot of good.
He has come on enormously over the past year from what I have seen

I know this forum is a binary black and white place , but is it possible we could:

- Love James Henry and his legacy at Oxford
- respectfully think he’s ready to move on
- find a nice way to let him find his next adventure
- not have another Karl Robinson style “good guy just hanging around job for the boys” set up that taints his legacy

Perhaps all these options aren’t mutually exclusive

I know this forum is a binary black and white place , but is it possible we could:

- not have another Karl Robinson style “good guy just hanging around job for the boys” set up that taints his legacy

Apart from the couple of people who seem to want to drive him to his next club, I don’t see anyone disagreeing with that

I wouldn't write him off so quickly. This is a very young squad and is bound to hit a bad spell at some time. His experience will be invaluable. I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved in 15-20 games this season. He's slowed down but he's technically still a very good player

I’m not saying Henry’s legacy should see him kept on, just that he doesn’t seem to get the respect that someone like a Taylor, for example, was afforded when he left
There were plenty of people adamant that Taylor needed to go and that his legs were gone after 1 poor season in a dreadful team, Henry has provided less than that in a longer timeframe, so it depends what you think is respectful.

I wouldn't write him off so quickly. This is a very young squad and is bound to hit a bad spell at some time. His experience will be invaluable. I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved in 15-20 games this season. He's slowed down but he's technically still a very good player

Our challenge last season was a lack of pace to break the opposition down in transition.

Our goals this season have almost all come from pace and counter attacking.

Just saying

Agree very much that GOD effectively missed a proper season of development due to the chaos that was last season.

It is interesting though, that even with all that unexpected game time last season, his actual first team minutes across all competitions ahead of the Charlton game add up to around 15.5 full games. (12.6 in the league) with only 11 starts.

If he goes out on loan - it needs to be where he is going to play, whilst a Conference side also gives us the ability to do a 24 hour recall clause (I think). A part-time team would give the opportunity to train with us as normal as well.

It's all about the right pathway for him as of now.
Going out to a Chesterfield for example, and sitting on their bench behind Grigg etc, would be of no benefit. He'd be better staying with us.
An Oxford City type loan would get him minutes but might not be the greatest environment from a results/morale point of view. There's probably a reasonable number of teams who sit inbetween the two, who might fancy a young striker with some EFL minutes.
Interesting decision to be made, it if comes about.

Can see us getting a player that was previously unavailable/out of our reach in the final days of the window. Still would like 2 more (winger and striker) but probably would be happy with just a striker if Murphy ends up staying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom