Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
slobodan Tedic would be an achievable loan or permanent signing
City seem to be selling their youth team players for obscene money so would doubt the possibility of a permanent deal, would be a very good loan signing though.
Was impressed with Josh Coburn early last season at rovers
Started seriously well but faded throughout the season, I think he was only in L1 in the first place because of his injury record. Another who if you can keep him fit is a very good player.

Look at the replies. Just some kid on his summer holidays refreshing the latest tweets containing '#ecfc' and tweeting anything that comes up. They've got that from an OUFC fan tweeting something like 'hope we get Nombe' - tweet itself means nothing.

That said, reckon he'd be a great addition. Although I suspect any bid put in will be 'leaked' and a bidding war would ensue. Wouldn't be cheap.
They only got £1.8M for Ollie Watkins who was on a longer contract. No chance they're getting north of £1M for a 24yr old with one year left on his contract, who has only scored 34 career goals.

Last edited:
They only got £1.8M for Ollie Watkins who was on a longer contract. No chance they're getting north of £1M for a 24yr old with one year left on his contract, who has only scored 34 goals
750k plus bonuses would be what they will get, they aren’t in the business of losing players for free, they are a fan owned club. They don’t let players leave on a free unless they get some kind of compensation for development

They only got £1.8M for Ollie Watkins who was on a longer contract. No chance they're getting north of £1M for a 24yr old with one year left on his contract, who has only scored 34 goals
Agreed. They will be lucky if they get £700K.

Incidentally, although their academy system remains strong, I don’t think there is anyone in their current U18 squad capable of stepping up just yet, so the conveyor belt of new talent may have stalled for a year or so.

They only got £1.8M for Ollie Watkins who was on a longer contract. No chance they're getting north of £1M for a 24yr old with one year left on his contract, who has only scored 34 career goals.
Fair points (although I suppose you could argue that A Nombe has been doing it in a division higher and B football fees in general are rising all the time, so assessing his true value may be more complicated).

The point I was making was more that I’m sure that, once a bid is made, Exeter will look to instigate a bidding war to drive up the price. There’s sure to be a lot of interest in him. And that bidding war will probably artificially inflate his price.

Fans always overestimate a players worth. Half of that is the max he would go for.
I don't necessarily think fans overestimate a players worth, I think they instead underestimate just how much their club needs the cash.

What a player is 'worth' and what they ultimately sell for are different things. Football and football transfers work in the same way as 'normal' life.

A Rolex may have a market value of £10,000. If you tried to buy that Rolex from someone in financial hardship, they may sell you that Rolex for 'X' amount under market value. If you tried to buy it from someone with immense wealth, they'll likely demand a higher than market value price for that same Rolex - one needs the cash and the other doesn't. Now, if you were also immensely wealthy you would still buy it from the first individual because it saves you money, but if that wasn't an option and you desperately wanted that one specific Rolex, you'd likely be more than happy to purchase from the second individual and pay over market value for it.

This is what we see in football all the time. A good example of this are the Maguire and Dickie transfers. The rumours were we sold Dickie for £1.6million - just 2% of the fee Maguire was sold for. Is Maguire 50x the player Dickie is? Of course not, but realistically we are a club that needs the money so QPR could low-ball us. Leicester didn't need the money (at that time) and Man U have immense wealth and he was a main target, hence the inflated fee.

Another good example is happening now with Trafford. If he was at Bolton on a permanent deal, they'd sell him for a couple of million at most. City don't need the money. They don't need to sell him for £5million, so they bump the price up massively because if he doesn't sell, so what? L1 clubs don't have that privilege - the hard truth is most in L1 & L2 need to sell.

One transfer I was really impressed by was the Scott Twine sale. For MK Dons to get a reported £4million-£5million fee plus add-ons is very good business by them. It isn't often you get L1 clubs selling players for their actual market value.

We don’t need six more players, at least not until some are our the door.

We also don’t have to spend money on transfer fees to be successful. Every move will be judged on merit, if there is a deal to be done and a fee to be paid that the club thinks is worthwhile then they will do it, but there is no necessity to spend money.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on players. It would be interesting to see how many of the successful teams went up solely on free's and loans. We genuinly do need quality in the squad, 5/6 players, including a couple of strtikers, left or right back which isnt covered by the recent transfer, wingers I think he will want.
Each to his own thoughts
I cant see your idea though seemingly though that no more players will come in until some deadwood leaves.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on players. It would be interesting to see how many of the successful teams went up solely on free's and loans. We genuinly do need quality in the squad, 5/6 players, including a couple of strtikers, left or right back which isnt covered by the recent transfer, wingers I think he will want.
Each to his own thoughts
I cant see your idea though seemingly though that no more players will come in until some deadwood leaves.
Where have I said that? It’ll be at least two strikers/forwards in, then a left-back if/when Seddon goes and another wide player if Wildschut goes. We aren’t going to bring 6 players in and stockpile in some positions.

Just to add to that, the two things you’re advocating are spending money for the sake of it and having a squad that’s unnecessarily big. These are two of the worst things clubs can do it a bid to be successful and sustainable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom