Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are entitled to their opinions but why do people think we need 6 more players in? 4 max
For one system, yes, 4 will do and that will probably leave us in a decent place to compete through to January when we can do a few more bits and bobs. But it’s more like 6 needed if Manning is going to have the necessary tools to deploy the team in his preferred shape from the off.

But you can’t just ‘do a Chelsea’ and farm them in without a spare peg in the changing room. You’ve got to make the space which was always going to be the more challenging part of the rebuild and why many people felt this would take 2 seasons rather than one. We got ahead nice and early so it’s now a case of how much we can squeeze in to this window without compromising our start to the season.

Great signing for the imps.
City have continued building their squad for the 2023/24 season with the addition of attacking wing-back Jaden Brown, who won promotion with Sheffield Wednesday last season.

For one system, yes, 4 will do and that will probably leave us in a decent place to compete through to January when we can do a few more bits and bobs. But it’s more like 6 needed if Manning is going to have the necessary tools to deploy the team in his preferred shape from the off.
Two out (Seddon and Baldock) and three in (one LB/LWB and two forwards) and the squad already looks like the below, in terms of bodies and the ability to switch between a back three and a back four:

IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3896.jpeg

If one of the two forward recruits could also play wide then suddenly the squad looks pretty stacked. Especially given there are still players not listed who are on the Spain tour.

Providing everybody makes it through pre-season in one piece (let’s see how our ‘luck’ changes under Manning) and McGinty goes on loan to get games, then you’re already looking at half a dozen senior players not being able to even get on the bench at Cambridge, and that’s by merely adding a single body to the existing numbers.

Providing everybody makes it through pre-season in one piece (let’s see how our ‘luck’ changes under Manning) etc.

That's the last thing I'm worried about this season, at least among the ones who aren't last season's walking wounded. Good news!

People are entitled to their opinions but why do people think we need 6 more players in? 4 max

No one is saying that we must have 6 more players. But we have struggled with injuries over the last few seasons so if there is the opportunity to bring more players in then that can only be a positive.

We know that we need 2 strikers and a left back, but there are other positions that we would benefit from adding to.

Josh McEachran is a deep sitting midfielder who will direct play, but he's not an enforcer that many have been crying out for.

Wingers are often the positions that get subbed/rotated most often to change games. With 7 on the bench and up to 5 changes available, you might want 4 wingers in your matchday squad. We currently have Browne, Murphy, Wildschut and Goodrham as wide players, so a raw, but quick, out and out winger on loan from the PL/Championship would be a welcome addition.

And then there are the opportunities to look at development players and maybe add one or two that can benefit from training full time with the first team squad for 6 months before there's any expectation to play.

That doesn't mean that we should compromise on those we're looking to bring in, but hopefully adding further depth to cover all options. I appreciate that it is all about opinions, but it's not particularly controversial to want a couple more players is it?

Two out (Seddon and Baldock) and three in (one LB/LWB and two forwards) and the squad already looks like the below, in terms of bodies and the ability to switch between a back three and a back four:

View attachment 14456
View attachment 14457

If one of the two forward recruits could also play wide then suddenly the squad looks pretty stacked. Especially given there are still players not listed who are on the Spain tour.

Providing everybody makes it through pre-season in one piece (let’s see how our ‘luck’ changes under Manning) and McGinty goes on loan to get games, then you’re already looking at half a dozen senior players not being able to even get on the bench at Cambridge, and that’s by merely adding a single body to the existing numbers.
Brown second choice?? You monster. You know better.

Anyway, yeah I see your point. There’s no doubt what’s in the building is geared towards the old shape but a few more bodies could swing it in a totally new direction and make us, dare I say, unpredictable!! Wouldn’t that be nice? But I acknowledge we need to create space for that to happen.

Holding midfield is still one for me unless Manning sees McGuane as the man for the job or Smyth is going to lock down that position. If that’s the case then maybe we don’t need as many as I think.

The non-negotiables are 2 strikers and an attack-minded left back regardless of shape. Then we are in to the luxury position of tuning rather than plugging.

No one is saying that we must have 6 more players. But we have struggled with injuries over the last few seasons so if there is the opportunity to bring more players in then that can only be a positive.

We know that we need 2 strikers and a left back, but there are other positions that we would benefit from adding to.

Josh McEachran is a deep sitting midfielder who will direct play, but he's not an enforcer that many have been crying out for.

Wingers are often the positions that get subbed/rotated most often to change games. With 7 on the bench and up to 5 changes available, you might want 4 wingers in your matchday squad. We currently have Browne, Murphy, Wildschut and Goodrham as wide players, so a raw, but quick, out and out winger on loan from the PL/Championship would be a welcome addition.

And then there are the opportunities to look at development players and maybe add one or two that can benefit from training full time with the first team squad for 6 months before there's any expectation to play.

That doesn't mean that we should compromise on those we're looking to bring in, but hopefully adding further depth to cover all options. I appreciate that it is all about opinions, but it's not particularly controversial to want a couple more players is it?
But you aren’t asking for a couple more, you’re asking for six to an already big squad. It doesn’t look like we will be playing with a holding midfielder next season and it’ll be two deep behind the 10, and we have a young prospect of our own in Josh Johnson who can play that role if really needed.

You talk of development players, but we basically already have one in every position from our academy?

But you aren’t asking for a couple more, you’re asking for six to an already big squad.

That's excluding the replacements for the 3 'wingers' in his list that will struggle to get 30 games between them.

I agree with the thrust of your argument, but it's a bit of a conundrum.

• React
Reactions: m
Brown second choice?? You monster. You know better.

Anyway, yeah I see your point. There’s no doubt what’s in the building is geared towards the old shape but a few more bodies could swing it in a totally new direction and make us, dare I say, unpredictable!! Wouldn’t that be nice? But I acknowledge we need to create space for that to happen.

Holding midfield is still one for me unless Manning sees McGuane as the man for the job or Smyth is going to lock down that position. If that’s the case then maybe we don’t need as many as I think.

The non-negotiables are 2 strikers and an attack-minded left back regardless of shape. Then we are in to the luxury position of tuning rather than plugging.
I’m here to provoke.

I just think it’s interesting to see the squad as is, laid out on paper. We’re all just speculating. But you can definitely start to imagine the conversations between Manning and Williams when one of them wants more bodies and the other sees how many are already on the payroll.

I think we all know that a number of the players we have are injury risks - probably five of the seven CAMs/Wingers on the books like an injury. I’m hoping that Yanic can be moved out and replaced, and a forward who can play wide as well as centrally might be on the cards as well as an out and out striker.

That's excluding the replacements for the 3 'wingers' in his list that will struggle to get 30 games between them.

I agree with the thrust of your argument, but it's a bit of a conundrum.
Ignore Wildschut, as he is one of the players that we are trying to shift and will replace when we do.

Browne started 29 games last season and was subbed on in 5, playing over 2300 minutes.

By all accounts Goodrham’s injury record is very good and has come into pre-season in such good shape that Manning singled him out for public praise.

Murphy? Who knows, but he still featured in 23 games last season.

As has been mentioned a few times, one of the front men that comes in will likely be a “forward” who can play across the frontline, and then there will be the Wildschut replacement, and let’s not rule Henry out from playing his part too.

We absolutely need strikers, and I’d much rather we focussed our attention and budget bringing in a couple of top quality recruits there rather than just bloating a squad and blocking the progression of some promising young players.

Ideal scenario from here is 5 or 6 in and 4+ out. Realistically, it will be something in between as this was always going to be a transitionary window and it’s hard to be disappointed with that.

But I can’t help but hope we can allow Manning to get his best ideas on the pitch so fingers crossed we get the little bit of luck we need.

Where have I said that? It’ll be at least two strikers/forwards in, then a left-back if/when Seddon goes and another wide player if Wildschut goes. We aren’t going to bring 6 players in and stockpile in some positions.
Ag but what about a CDM that makes it 5 if Wildschut goes

I always say 5 or 6 purely because iam expecting at least 3 out . The younger players don't have to be named in the squad and let them play in the paint pot trophy . All we want is to be in a solid place at Xmas not struggling we need to shift players that are prone to get injured unless we get 2 awesome strikers in I can't see us being in the top 6. We all know this is going to be a tough window so far we've made some good signings but you need goals . And too many did not fire ,but football is a funny old game and if we are above mid table at Xmas the next window could be even more exciting. Another week nearly gone and count down to another week the boys will soon be home and hopefully a couple of quick signings.

Could see Johnson and Golding in the Squad this season? Extra cover for CDM and anywhere in defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom