Season 2021/22
Starts - 6
Subbed on - 8
Subbed on in last 10 minutes - 7
Unused sub - 8
Not in the squad - 5
Total minutes - 711
Minutes per goal - 356

In Matty Taylor's last season his goals per minutes was 320 but in the previous 2 years Matty's goals per minutes was 175 (21/22) and 190 (20/21) but comparing Agyei with the number 1 striker is slightly pointless.

I would say though that those stats do show he had plenty of chances to prove himself in his 1st 2 seasons with us.
You need to get out more :ROFLMAO:

We had people saying that Liam Manning was the cheap option, Ed Waldron the lazy option, Brown isn't a left back, Harris isn't a striker, Moore isn't a captain and pretty much everyone in the squad has been described as not good enough at some point or another.

I know that there was a lot of negativity last season, for all the right reasons, yet it feels that some are stuck in that mindset at times.

We have seen from the report on Mills coming to us how much details goes into the development of someone who will only be with us for 9 months, so it's not beyond reason to think that established players may also have plans to enable them to also develop and improve.

Judging a player who was injured or low in confidence during a chaotic season has little bearing on how they will be after a proper preseason and individual training plans to get everyone ready. Some won't be first choice, some may only play bit parts, but that is the point of having a squad.

Today will be a good test, but next Saturday is when the points start to be won and I'm confident that we'll see a very different Oxford United across the whole playing squad.
Well said Sir.

We had people saying that Liam Manning was the cheap option, Ed Waldron the lazy option, Brown isn't a left back, Harris isn't a striker, Moore isn't a captain and pretty much everyone in the squad has been described as not good enough at some point or another.

I know that there was a lot of negativity last season, for all the right reasons, yet it feels that some are stuck in that mindset at times.

We have seen from the report on Mills coming to us how much details goes into the development of someone who will only be with us for 9 months, so it's not beyond reason to think that established players may also have plans to enable them to also develop and improve.

Judging a player who was injured or low in confidence during a chaotic season has little bearing on how they will be after a proper preseason and individual training plans to get everyone ready. Some won't be first choice, some may only play bit parts, but that is the point of having a squad.

Today will be a good test, but next Saturday is when the points start to be won and I'm confident that we'll see a very different Oxford United across the whole playing squad.

How can Brown be a left back if there’s a chance left back’s don’t actually exist? I think we have to consider the whole concept of left backs might we like quantum mechanics, string theory and women’s haircuts, beyond the the understanding of your average man.

I was answering a question - this forum is starting to get toxic
It's not getting toxic, people are just pointing out that your views on Moore are a little misplaced.

If you want to see a toxic forum go back to posts/debates between last October and March!

Moore is a very very good league 1 defender who does the simple things well, knows his limitations and gives the ball to the ball playing ones. Would he be good enough to step up to be a starter in a Championship side? Questionable but we aren't there yet.
Moore was having to deal with Findlay's lack of footballing ability, Eastwood's goalkeeping and Sam Long not performing as well as he has in the past. The season before that he was used to having a centre back who was comfortable on the ball and could do the jobs he couldn't.

Moore was having to deal with Findlay's lack of footballing ability, Eastwood's goalkeeping and Sam Long not performing as well as he has in the past....

...and the sudden realisation that left backs don't actually exist and he may as well have been lining up alongside Lord Lucan on a Unicorn!!

It's been a difficult time for all of us!

I was answering a question - this forum is starting to get toxic
There’s arguing a point, and there’s knowing when that point has been reasonably done to death. That ain’t toxic.
Toxic is when I call you a c*** because you’re wrong, but I haven’t done that.

Ridiculous. What’s LM playing at, with all this ‘attention to detail’ rubbish. In the good old days, KR would have called the agent, set up a deal, then called the player, promising’24/7 commitment’ etc.
All grown his sunbed in Spain, where he is conducting training from.

Ok so you asked for it....

Season 2019/20
Starts - 5
Subbed on - 10
Subbed on in last 10 minutes - 10
Unused sub - 13
Not in the squad - 13
Total minutes - 691
Minutes per goal - 230

Season 2020/21
Starts - 11
Subbed on - 18
Subbed on in last 10 minutes - 9
Unused sub - 1
Not in the squad - 5
Total minutes - 1280
Minutes per goal - 256

Season 2021/22
Starts - 6
Subbed on - 8
Unused sub - 8
Not in the squad - 5
Total minutes - 711
Minutes per goal - 356

In Matty Taylor's last season his goals per minutes was 320 but in the previous 2 years Matty's goals per minutes was 175 (21/22) and 190 (20/21) but comparing Agyei with the number 1 striker is slightly pointless.

I would say though that those stats do show he had plenty of chances to prove himself in his 1st 2 seasons with us.
Right, so:

You’d say Agyei was given a fair chance with us because he had a total of 22 starts over three seasons?! An average of 7 starts a season!?

Also, in his first two seasons he had a far better minutes per goal ratio than Matty Taylor did in his final season with us - a Matty Taylor who started every week that year no matter how badly he played.

(I’d also argue that assists would be relevant in this conversation as well)

Basically your (pretty decent, thank you for that) statistical analysis has convinced me that I was right; Agyei in no way was given either a fair chance at Oxford, or a chance in line with how well he did for us.

I'm not saying Agyei should come back here, but when he was here I do think he was a victim of having a buffoon for a manager, who had zero tactical knowledge and was clueless when it came to man management and getting the best out players.

Had he had a better manager and person in charge, I think he would've been a decent striker at this level.
100%

Ok so you asked for it....

Season 2019/20
Starts - 5
Subbed on - 10
Subbed on in last 10 minutes - 10
Unused sub - 13
Not in the squad - 13
Total minutes - 691
Minutes per goal - 230

Season 2020/21
Starts - 11
Subbed on - 18
Subbed on in last 10 minutes - 9
Unused sub - 1
Not in the squad - 5
Total minutes - 1280
Minutes per goal - 256

Season 2021/22
Starts - 6
Subbed on - 8
Unused sub - 8
Not in the squad - 5
Total minutes - 711
Minutes per goal - 356

I don't have the answer to hand but how do these numbers compare to Jamie Mackie, both in terms of minutes played and minutes per goal? Mackie was regularly played ahead of Agyei and contributed nothing apart from goals as he couldn't run channels, win anything in the air, hold the ball up, beat a man etc.

I don't have the answers to hand but I suspect Mackie played more for far less return wviv is a fine example of Agyei not getting a fair crack seeing as we were almost always a worse team when Mackie was on the pitch. Add in the fact that Agyei was often played out wide and singled out for public criticism by the manager.

Dan was raw but under a better manager had everything to be an excellent striker at this level and even could have stepped up. Unfortunately his career has been hampered by some of his key years being spent under Robinson. Not saying I want him back as I think that ship has sailed but I certainly wish him well. To say he was given a fair chance is disingenuous if Mackie played a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom