So who should we approach or Interview ?

Paul Simpson is the Guest of Honour Saturday. Would give him a good chance to see how everything is working behind the scenes, watch the team, and to meet the potential new owner.

I’ve suggested Simpson several times on here, success at lower league level as well proven track record of working with and developing young players, ticks a lot of boxes.

I’ve suggested Simpson several times on here, success at lower league level as well proven track record of working with and developing young players, ticks a lot of boxes.
Agree ...if we, OUFC, can prise him away from the young lions England set up.... former U's player and has had decent success in the lower leagues

The thing is, its almost moot who comes in in the short term. The transfer window is now shut. We arent good enough. Whoever comes in will be polishing a turd until next season. Even Guardiola needed a season of getting his own players in to turn City around. Appleton needed six months and two transfer windows.

The thing is, its almost moot who comes in in the short term. The transfer window is now shut. We arent good enough. Whoever comes in will be polishing a turd until next season. Even Guardiola needed a season of getting his own players in to turn City around. Appleton needed six months and two transfer windows.
But they’ll have time to assess the squad before the summer. If we leave things as they are until the summer a new manager will be playing catch up while our rivals will have released players and started reshaping their squads. We don’t want a repeat of last summer. Also the likes of Rothwell won’t hang around if there’s uncertainty

Yes thats fine but whover comes in is going to need a thick skin. The potential for improvement in performance is pretty small this season now, he (or she) will be carrying the can for someone elses team.

Yes thats fine but whover comes in is going to need a thick skin. The potential for improvement in performance is pretty small this season now, he (or she) will be carrying the can for someone elses team.
I take your point, depends who we bring in. Someone like Simmo and my feeling they will be given the time and support from the fan base to sort things at the end of the season. Someone like Bellamy and a few heavy defeats before the end of the season..? Who knows..

That isn't really true though. You see teams' fortunes change wildly with a new manager, for better or worse. We are no different.

Perhaps Darryl’s recent ‘scouting’ trip to Europe was actually to see a prospective new manager/coach.;)
Maybe so - I'm surprised nobody here seems to have metioned Nigel Pearson, presently in Holland I think. What we need right now is someone who can bring the very best out of what we've got - I doubt that would be Lampard, Campbell, or anyone else with little experience of management.

I'm not sure this managerial appointment is clear cut.
We need someone to manage and coach the current playing staff, someone who embraces the recruitment process and has to also work along side the current staff set up, an experienced manager normally bring their own staff along and would they feel comfortable using the backroom set up considering the season so far, would an up and coming manager get the respect of our players and be able to push them on to bigger and better things, we have seen from Pep that certain players didn't raise their game and he couldn't get the best out of them, it might take a very strong ambitious younger manager with new fresh ideas to work along side our current set up to move the club forward, whoever comes in the remit must be to look to take us in the championship and that does seem tricky for either an experienced or up and coming manager.

I'm not sure this managerial appointment is clear cut.
We need someone to manage and coach the current playing staff, someone who embraces the recruitment process and has to also work along side the current staff set up, an experienced manager normally bring their own staff along and would they feel comfortable using the backroom set up considering the season so far, would an up and coming manager get the respect of our players and be able to push them on to bigger and better things, we have seen from Pep that certain players didn't raise their game and he couldn't get the best out of them, it might take a very strong ambitious younger manager with new fresh ideas to work along side our current set up to move the club forward, whoever comes in the remit must be to look to take us in the championship and that does seem tricky for either an experienced or up and coming manager.

It’s even less clear cut, when we don’t know where the takeover stands, what their vision might be and how ambitious they are.
If they are going to say pump more money into the academy and enter a u23 side, then the manager wouldn’t need to be so good personally at developing youth, just have the intention of playing the ones developed. Or they might not want to continue the development model and instead pay for a better manager to get more instant success and push us into the championship

It’s even less clear cut, when we don’t know where the takeover stands, what their vision might be and how ambitious they are.
If they are going to say pump more money into the academy and enter a u23 side, then the manager wouldn’t need to be so good personally at developing youth, just have the intention of playing the ones developed. Or they might not want to continue the development model and instead pay for a better manager to get more instant success and push us into the championship
What's important is that DE knows where the takeover stands.

Makes you wonder why it’s taking so long, could it be a takeover? If so my money is on ... and he’s not on my shortlist.... brolley wally

Last edited:
Makes you wonder why it’s taking so long, could it be a takeover? If so my money is on ... and he’s not on my shortlist.... brolley wally
That would have been my guess, until sky news said he had financial backers and wants to buy a club.

That isn't really true though. You see teams' fortunes change wildly with a new manager, for better or worse. We are no different.

The new manager bounce generally only lasts 3 games, then teams revert to the mean. To take medium to long term benefit from that we would need to replace the manager every 3-4 games.

Which given our set up (permanent recruitment, analysis,, coaching teams etc) might not be as ridiculous an idea as it sounds!

Couple of reasons a takeover could be taking time.
Not offering enough cash for Eales
Due diligence turning up unexpected debts. (Though I’d expect the legacy Lenagan debt ported to Eales would be factored in )
Stadium
Valuation of players and the squad.
Fit and proper for whoever is taking over.

So those are things that could be holding things up.

But it seems to me that the club (Eales) is back to treading water and had to get rid of pep when we are in danger of getting relegated and a toxic atmosphere is developing within the Club and fans too.

If it is a takeover that is the problem as to the appointment of a manager, then it does seem strange if DE hadn’t come out and said Faz has 3 games with the third the Plymuff game then could this be the announcement of a takeover and a new manager? In which case who would have employed the new manager?

Back
Top Bottom