Manager/Coach [Poll] When Should Robinson Go?

At what point should Robinson go?

• Now, he's had plenty of chances to build a successful squad and hasn't

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • January if we're not in the top 10

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • End of the season if he doesn't make the playoffs

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • Not in the foreseeable future

Votes: 48 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can we afford to sack Robinson?.
Who would we be likely to get in?
How much to buy out of a job they are in?.
I think we are dammed if we do
And dammed if we don't. 🤔🤔.
Very hard to decide we are a selling club with a 3 sided ground with faceless chairman's you hardly see and as for takeover that doesn't happen?
With plans on new ground struggling to gain any impetus going forward?.
Looking a uphill task for top half with other teams signing players better than ours at moment and working as a unit.
Who? Matt Taylor from Exeter. Tactically aware, plays nice football, does well on a small budget.

I’m actually starting to think about the landscape post-exit.

There will be those that wanted him to stay saying that the decision is flawed, based on false evidence and lies which has been taken with no proper plan but on the other side of the fence, there will be those in the leave camp celebrating that we now are free of an unaccountable, authoritarian regime and the benefits of the decision will become apparent in the fullness of time but don’t be surprised if it takes forty seasons before we know what they are....

I think you both miss the original point.

Something like football is always going to be scrutinised, I get that. I don't think you can not expect some form of constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is our full backs need competition because they aren't performing sufficiently. Voting on when someone ought to lose their job isn't. In isolation it's a bit... Naff.

Access to increased football coverage requires content. That content is scrutinised and the demand for analysis of every nuance is significant. Heck, when Bury and Bolton were on the verge of going out of business, Sky Sports News had a countdown clock to when they go out of business. I understand why, because it grips a casual viewer. It doesn't make it any less crass irrespective whether someone loses their job, whether a club does go out of business (Bolton didn't, Bury did) or whether the viewpoint of the majority is whether the thing they are voting for does or doesn't happen.

I don't mind if people don't think I'm very good at my job. I'm just not sure whether people were voting on when I should be sacked is in good taste given they are still employed and trying to do their best.

Never mind. Perhaps it's in good taste!
I don't think anyone on here is unsympathetic to the fact that we're talking about someone losing their job, but just like he will take the plaudits if he pulls us out of this mess, he will also take the heat if he doesn't. As customers (whether we like to call ourselves that or not) we're entitled to share our opinion on whether the product being dished up by the head chef is fit for consumption...

I don't think anyone on here is unsympathetic to the fact that we're talking about someone losing their job, but just like he will take the plaudits if he pulls us out of this mess, he will also take the heat if he doesn't. As customers (whether we like to call ourselves that or not) we're entitled to share our opinion on whether the product being dished up by the head chef is fit for consumption...
Hmmm, saying the food is bad and not coming back is absolutely your right as a customer. Campaigning for the chef to be sacked? Not so much.

I'm not for a second saying football fans can't call for a manager to be sacked, but the whole "I'm a playing customer, it's my right" line doesn't really work.

Hmmm, saying the food is bad and not coming back is absolutely your right as a customer. Campaigning for the chef to be sacked? Not so much.

I'm not for a second saying football fans can't call for a manager to be sacked, but the whole "I'm a playing customer, it's my right" line doesn't really work.
It’s my right to complain that the chef isn’t doing a good job if I am consistently disappointed with the food. And also to suggest that the chef be changed, hoping the restaurant manager will concur.

That’s true, but football clubs run the ‘we’re a business and must be run as one’ line all the time. In the next breath they play to the supporter’s emotion and loyalty in an entirely un-business like fashion.

As has been said already, football management isn’t the right career if you don’t have the strength of character to completely ignore the voices of emotionally driven creatures such as football fans.

The average salary for a League One manager is apparently now more than £180k. And their contracts are fully guaranteed - they are going to get all of their money whether or not they do a good job, and whether or not they get fired halfway through.

I would argue that being subject to public criticism, and subject to job speculation from your fan base, is appropriately baked into that salary. If you can't cope with it, there are plenty of other less high profile jobs available in the game......they're just not as well compensated.

It’s my right to complain that the chef isn’t doing a good job if I am consistently disappointed with the food. And also to suggest that the chef be changed, hoping the restaurant manager will concur.

Is it? I think most restaurant owners would tell you where to go!

The average salary for a League One manager is apparently now more than £180k. And their contracts are fully guaranteed - they are going to get all of their money whether or not they do a good job, and whether or not they get fired halfway through.
I know of one managerial contract in L1 that features a full duration payout on a basic salary of over £250,000 but last I heard that was far from standard. It normally used to be capped at 6 or maybe 12 months’ pay if you were lucky, which you got paid monthly as normal and had to agree to waive if you got another job before you’d been paid up.

Have they changed the rules to now make full duration payoffs standard? I am honestly surprised by that.

I know of one managerial contract in L1 that features a full duration payout on a basic salary of over £250,000 but last I heard that was far from standard. It normally used to be capped at 6 or maybe 12 months’ pay if you were lucky, which you got paid monthly as normal and had to agree to waive if you got another job before you’d been paid up.

Have they changed the rules to now make full duration payoffs standard? I am honestly surprised by that.

Fair enough, you know better than I do. I've probably just been reading too much information about the insane payoffs that managers receive further up the pyramid.
Could believe that I'm wrong and this is not standard in League One.......

Still £180k per year is still a lot of cash. And even a 6 month payoff is still better than I would get (although I do work in the US!)

Does that manager get a separate salary for managing the game that actually takes place as well as the one he sees?

Fair enough, you know better than I do. I've probably just been reading too much information about the insane payoffs that managers receive further up the pyramid.
Could believe that I'm wrong and this is not standard in League One.......

Still £180k per year is still a lot of cash. And even a 6 month payoff is still better than I would get (although I do work in the US!)
No worries - genuinely didn’t know if I had missed something!

Imagine if you had two years left on a 250k a year deal that guaranteed you every penny if you’re sacked before the end of it, and which also allows you to keep every penny even if you walk into another job the next day.

You’d be a lucky, lucky boy.

Mark Warburton
Mark Bonner

Both would be high on my list as a replacement for KR.

I guarantee there will be loads of applications, should the position to be the next OUFC manager become available. It’s a very attractive position.

Mark Warburton
Mark Bonner

Both would be high on my list as a replacement for KR.

I guarantee there will be loads of applications, should the position to be the next OUFC manager become available. It’s a very attractive position.

Not Warburton, we’d want someone on his way up. If we have aspirations to get to the top, we want a manager to take us there with him.

Bonner is a good shout, Ian Burchnall is destined for big things but only just gone to FGR. Rob Edwards will likely go the way of most Watford managers at some point at no fault of his own, would be an interesting one.

I would argue that being subject to public criticism, and subject to job speculation from your fan base, is appropriately baked into that salary. If you can't cope with it, there are plenty of other less high profile jobs available in the game......they're just not as well compensated.
And that's the average, Karl is on considerably more than that thanks to Uncle Tiger giving him a lovely deal.

And that's the average, Karl is on considerably more than that thanks to Uncle Tiger giving him a lovely deal.

He signed a new deal in September 2020 for 4 years as well so he still has 2 years left to run.

Back
Top Bottom