• Lee Bowyer

• Grant McCann

• Danny Cowley

• Liam Manning

• Premier League U23/U21 coach

• Frank Lampard

• Steven Gerrard

Results are only viewable after voting.
I may be missing something here, but what is the justification behind all this give it to kinnebrough as either temp or permanent? What actually managerial qualities and/or experience has he actually displayed at any point? Seems to be it is nothing more than him gaining some sort of hero status purely from being the first person on radox to question robbo....

Same as Mous, never managed a single team beyond the day KR was in the stands, yet one 5MFF answering questions slightly more coherently than robbo and suddenly he's the next Pep...

They may both turn out to be great managers, who knows, but being slightly outspoken as a pundit or sounding slightly more intelligent than your average footballer in a two minute interview have not as yet served Gary Neville or Frank Lampard too well as yet

I hope whoever we appoint has more actual managerial experience than SK or JM
Not entirely sure how many people on here have said to appoint SK on a permanent basis?

The problem is that if you sack KR (yes please) he has emasculated the senior coaching side of the club to such a degree that there are few (if any) people internally who even look capable of holding the fort for the rest of the season now Mous has left. Who is there? Short, Brown, Blackmore-Such and Kinniborough. Maybe Faz. Not a great selection (for various reasons), but then your other option is to appoint a manager (temp or perm) from the pool of those who might be available immediately. But as we have all agreed - I think! - a proper interview process is really essential (unless the owners have already got someone in mind for the summer).

So if we eliminate the GK coach, the inexperienced and unqualified LBS, and Faz (who is both probably too old and also too sensible to accept the role!) we are left with Short and Kinniborough. I have no idea if either of them would be OK - or want to do it - but I cannot see how either of them could possibly be worse or more divisive than the present manager.

Kinniburgh managed Corby briefly but I don't think it went well.
Won more than 50% of league games across two full seasons.

I’ve seen nobody say that they think he should be the next manager. He’s just clearly the best person to take training and a few games in an emergency situation where the red button is pushed. Unless people want Leon and Craig Short pointing at cones.

A couple of things I don’t really get that have been posted on this thread.

The interview process obsession as if it will guarantee success. I am really good at job interviews, it has led me to get jobs I am wholly not suited (apologies if you are one of the people I operated on) to, everyone turns into a compulsive liar during them so not sure I place as much trust in them as others on here.

An interim manager from in or outside the club. Why not just appoint someone to the full time job now? It’s only appointing a football manager not doing open heart surgery (which is harder than you would think), once you have narrowed it down to the best candidates who are willing to take the job then you just have to use your judgement to try and pick the best one.

The interview process obsession as if it will guarantee success. I am really good at job interviews, it has led me to get jobs I am wholly not suited (apologies if you are one of the people I operated on) to, everyone turns into a compulsive liar during them so not sure I place as much trust in them as others on here.

An interim manager from in or outside the club. Why not just appoint someone to the full time job now? It’s only appointing a football manager not doing open heart surgery (which is harder than you would think), once you have narrowed it down to the best candidates who are willing to take the job then you just have to use your judgement to try and pick the best one.
A proper interview process reduces the risk, that is all. No appointment, in any walk of life, is risk free.

Because the pool of available managers is smaller now than in the summer. In January, anyone doing well is likely to stick rather than twist, and those who aren't doing so well are likely to think they can turn it around or will stick it out until they are sacked (sound familiar?). Any while some may be better at interviews than others, surely you'd want to club to explain how they'd be expected to operate and under what conditions? Their reactions to various questions ("you would be expected to work under a DoF" "we operate a proper HR policy that you cannot flaunt" etc) might well prevent you repeating mistakes that have been made in the past. Take the interview together with what you know about the bloke from chatter within the game, stats etc and you should have a good idea what you are getting. Not a guarantee of success of course - but you reduce the risk!

I think managerless we would improve. Replacement is really irrelevant because our manager is completely asleep at the wheel. The players are playing like they have a noose around their neck and it’s depressing to watch. No expression, no tenacity, nobody speaking out against each other - gives me the thought does Karl avoid those types of players for fear of being challenged?! Removing KR would lift a huge weight off the dressing room, get more fans at games and more importantly get them back on side. It would hopefully inspire a bit of togetherness which regardless of tactics would give us a better chance in games.

I’m starting to join the dots here.

Nightmare job, Brian comes in for a fairly routine biopsy and goes out still needing the biopsy but now more suited to being called Brianna (are the male genitalia that necessary?) and you can’t imagine the fuss it causes, mountains of paperwork as well.

Life as the PM was much less stressful.

I think it's usually a really bad idea to go back, I wouldn't want Appleton or Wilder for that reason. I enjoyed the football much more under Appleton WE had some excellent players then, A Lincoln fan found I know found him very dour, maybe he just seemed comparatively likeable after following Chris Wilder. I thijnk Lee Bowyer would be a mistake- not just because he would be following Robinson again, but when someone has been involved in at least 3 violent incidents with people of colour then I think he isnt the right person to manage our club. Imagine how say Gatlin O Donkor would feel when they googled Lee Bowyer.
Of the immediate suggestions I think Kinniburgh is best, mamangerial experience knows the club and the players, and we can then start the proper process of recruitment. for a head coach and aDirector fo Football

I agree with @Swaby39 that we badly need a change. The players are frightened. If some of the hints about Robinson's managerial style are right then it's not surprising. It's very stressful being a footballer- with huge expectations on how you and your fellows perform in just 90 minutes once or twice a week. If you don't feel supported and that you are likely to be expected to take the blame for the manager then it's going to be worse not better. The Manager should be taking the pressure off the players not the other way round.
Whilst some people do well at interviews- it partly depends on who asks the questions and what you ask them to do. But a lot of a manager's role is performing well in public under pressure, so an interview needs to be part of the process. Much better than having someone's mate.
It doesn't guarantee success, but it makes certain kinds of failure less likely.

I think it's usually a really bad idea to go back, I wouldn't want Appleton or Wilder for that reason. I enjoyed the football much more under Appleton WE had some excellent players then, A Lincoln fan found I know found him very dour, maybe he just seemed comparatively likeable after following Chris Wilder. I thijnk Lee Bowyer would be a mistake- not just because he would be following Robinson again, but when someone has been involved in at least 3 violent incidents with people of colour then I think he isnt the right person to manage our club. Imagine how say Gatlin O Donkor would feel when they googled Lee Bowyer.
Of the immediate suggestions I think Kinniburgh is best, mamangerial experience knows the club and the players, and we can then start the proper process of recruitment. for a head coach and aDirector fo Football

I agree with @Swaby39 that we badly need a change. The players are frightened. If some of the hints about Robinson's managerial style are right then it's not surprising. It's very stressful being a footballer- with huge expectations on how you and your fellows perform in just 90 minutes once or twice a week. If you don't feel supported and that you are likely to be expected to take the blame for the manager then it's going to be worse not better. The Manager should be taking the pressure off the players not the other way round.
Whilst some people do well at interviews- it partly depends on who asks the questions and what you ask them to do. But a lot of a manager's role is performing well in public under pressure, so an interview needs to be part of the process. Much better than having someone's mate.
It doesn't guarantee success, but it makes certain kinds of failure less likely.
His favourite method to relieve pressure is ‘I will protect my players’… Karl…. Nobody is blaming them so what you’re doing is throwing them under the bus!!

Leam Richardson still the best manager for L1 out of work.

Agree. Hopefully the new manager bounce will stop us being dragged into the relegation scrap.

Let's see if the new board are decisive and proactive. Or are there half a million reasons why KR won't get sacked?

Actually meeting and interviewing the candidates helps you make a judgement, rather going on preconceptions. I’d hope they’d make them do a task or presentation, eg demonstrating how they’d beat Wycombe

A few names if going down the young coach route:
- Des Buckingham
- Ian Foster
- Luke Williams
- Joe Edwards
- Stephen Bradley

I would like a young exciting coach to inject some energy back into the club. Work with a DoF, applying a coherent long term strategy.

Obviously an interview process should take place. Who runs that, I’m not sure but there needs to be a clear out and refresh

Last edited:
A few names if going down the young coach route:
- Des Buckingham
- Ian Foster
- Luke Williams
- Joe Edwards
- Stephen Bradley

I would like a young exciting coach to inject some energy back into the club. Work with a DoF, applying a coherent long term strategy.

Obviously an interview process should take place. Who runs that, I’m not sure but there needs to be a clear out and refresh

Ian Foster I like the look of if we bring in a DoF who knows the EFL well.

Back
Top Bottom